Respected Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS - ODAT - Tuesday

Hi girls!

I looked for the thread and can't find it - I guess everyone is busy today.

I'm trying to get everything ready for my trip; I'm going out of my mind - I had purchased a pretty weekend/beach bag at Beall's last year, and can't find it anywhere. I was sure it was in the big summer closet but it's not there, and I can't find it anywhere elsewhere it could possibly either, so I have to find something else to use. For that matter, I never did find the box with my summer nightwear - over 20 pair of PJs and nightgowns. No doubt I'll find the bag when I return, and the nightwear when I put my summer things away. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

I had started to clean the house, then realized there's no point - the cats are going to be unsupervised for most of the time, so goodness knows what I'll find when I get home, so I'm just doing laundry, changing the bed, and cleaning the bathrooms and kitchen. I did instruct my friend to keep the bedroom door closed; I expect I'll be tired when I return and will want to just collapse.

The lion's share of homework is done - just one quiz to do tonight, so that's out of the way.

I'm glad I had the back door lock changed to a deadbolt that required a key on both sides, as I found out my psycho neighbors were burglarized yesterday. I do have all kinds of automatic lights in the driveway and on the front porch, and have been leaving the back yard floodlights on as well; between that and the dogs being out back, I should be secure. Oh, and my video surveillance signs, and the "No trespassing (picture of gun) We don't call 911" sign.

Gotta run to the bank - have a blessed day, everyone!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS - ODAT - Tuesday

Good Afternoon/Evening! Thanks for getting us started Arlene. Sorry some things are MIA, I hate it when I can't find things, especially when I buy new ones before I find them. Hope you have a very nice trip, and your house is in somewhat decent shape when you return. We are having rainy weather here in Sedona, and it is really putting a crimp into our get-away. There was significant rain and flooding south of here, and the road we took yesterday was closed for a while this morning. Whew! Hope everyone is having a nice day! Hugs, Linda
Respected Contributor

Hello ladies! Arlene I hope you have a wonderful time and that all your critters get along just fine without you there. I know I miss my girlie, even when I know she is in good hands.

So sorry to hear of your bad weather Linda - of all the days for it to rain!!! It's very overcast here but ever so hot out. I have come to believe that I'm just hot no matter what the temp is. Perhaps it is the season of my life.

I had a really good and productive evening last night. Just house things - I did subscribe to Flylady again, despite the many emails she sends, she gets me thinking about little chunks of work that I can do to propel myself forward. So I did vacuum most of the house and cleared a few things off my vanity, etc, and ate a good meal last night. I hope to do the same again tonight. It makes me happy when I can be a little productive!

As for shopping, I can count about 12 tops off the top of my head (though 5 of them are racer back tanks) that are new in my closet, and I think it's time to back off the shopping. I have plenty of clothes and am out of hangers. I did pick a couple things to let go of last night but most of it I love and wear.

Esteemed Contributor

Arlene--Thank you for starting the thread. I really hope you enjoy your trip. I've often couldn't find something but later discover it when looking for something else. I sometimes change where I put things and then forget where I put them.

Linda--I am so sorry that the rain is ruining your trip. There used to be a standing joke among the family that if there was a dry spell my sister-in-law and I should go on a trip. Nearly every time we did something together, it would pour the rain. We haven't been able to travel together for some time.

ETA: Linda, I am just watching the coverage of the Arizona flash floods. Terrible!!

Kathleen--Glad you had a productive evening. I remember your benefitting from the Flylady lessons in the past. If you don't want them flooding your inbox, you can read them online. I still remember we start with a shiny kitchen sink. It is hard to pass up good buys and I know you wear most of them.

I left shortly before 7am to make a trip to Columbus, Ohio. I just returned with 331 miles racked up with 37.9 mpg. The new tires makes a difference. I checked out the newest Costco while there. I didn't buy anything but I might when I return in two to three weeks. It was a great day for a drive as it was nice and sunny after the fog lifted near my humble abode.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Super Contributor

Hey ladies. Can I have your opinion please because I think my Mom is disappointed. As you know my favorite cousin on my Dads side is coming in from Florida tomorrow with his family for my Grandfathers birthday on Saturday and we were supposed to go to my Aunts house for dinner on Thursdays. I've been looking forward to this for a month and cant wait to see him. This morning we found out that my Moms cousin died who I've seen maybe twice in my life. I told her I wasn't going that I was going to my Aunts house instead because I really want to see my cousin. She told me she was surprised at me. I don't want to feel bad about this.

Respected Contributor

Gina, I think you have to do what is best for you. If it were a relative you knew well, then it might be a different story. Sometimes you just have to let Mom be disappointed. She loves you and will get over it. I really have had a hard time in the past feeling good about myself when others were not happy with me. I have an approval -seeking personality and it's something I still fight with.

Jean the shiny kitchen sink and dress up to my shoes are a couple of the "rules" that I break! What helps me the most is the little missions. I came home hungry tonight so that was first. Now I had to check in with my girls! I don't know what is next. I guess I will wander over to her website and read online. I delete most emails.

How was work today? Was it the Jr High kids? I can't remember who you usually teach.

Esteemed Contributor

Kathleen--I didn't work today; I had an appointment in Columbus, Ohio three hours away. Those emails were a pain; I vaguely remember an option to read online but it has been so long. Those emails killed my interest.

Gina--This is a generational thing. Many older people believe one should give up plans, etc. in order to pay respects regardless of how little contact you had with the person. A funeral is for the purpose of helping those who survive bring closure and help with the grieving process. You didn't know the person that well but that doesn't mean you don't care. Is your attendance at the funeral going to help that person who you didn't know that well? Are you sacrificing some of your quality contacts and time to do this? Had you not had the plans, it would not be an issue. It is a question of priorities and where you fit into these priorities.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Super Contributor

I decided I'm not going. I really want to go to my Aunts house to see my cousin. Shes picking up my Dads brother and sister in law from the airport so somebody has to take them back to my house anyway.

Respected Contributor

Just found the perfect vacuum to get the dog hair out of my car - my own!! I sweat a ton but the inside is all clean. I'm such a perfectionist - that's why FlyLady is good for me. Her system reminds me that there is no need to do it all, or to do it perfectly - just doing a little will help.

Much like Jean's helpful financial suggestions here! Jean you remind me that I need not be perfect to reach my financial goals.