Super Contributor

I think I'm out of touch with current fashions

I know everyone is excited about fall fashions, but I haven't seen much so far (in stores and online) that appeals to me.

I received a catalog from White House Black Market and a mailer from Ann Taylor over the weekend and didn't see one thing in either that I couldn't live without.

I have spent very little money on clothes all year. I purposely cut back on my shopping, but I'm also not finding very much that I like. Dresses and skirts seem so short (mid-thigh!) and many of the looks I've seen lately just seem so "severe" to me.

I usually shop at stores like Ann Taylor, Talbots, Banana Republic and Anthropologie. Sometimes an occasional purchase from Nordstrom and LOFT. But nothing speaks to me (yet).

Am I the only one?

Respected Contributor

Re: I think I'm out of touch with current fashions

I had to go shopping Saturday and nothing wowed me.

Honored Contributor

I have seen a lot of clothing I like the past couple of years. I've always been into artisan inspired clothing; tunics and such. I don't find skirts to be short; they seem to be getting longer.

Respected Contributor

Im not crazy about what I'm seeing either, so I'm doing more sewing of classics that I know I will wear.
Esteemed Contributor

You aren't alone, maddie. I blame it on transitioning from one season to another. I am not interested in summer clothes at this point, but it is just too hot and humid to think about fall and winter clothing. I don't get magazines, but do peruse sites online. Those runway fashions will never find their way into my closet!

Do you know if Ann Taylor will be offering your favorite knit tops for fall?

Honored Contributor

I'm wearing what I have as much as possible and working to vary my accessories or to combine pieces in new and different ways.

So far, so good!

Trusted Contributor

I was just about to post something similar! I received my September issues of Glamour, Instyle, and People Style Watch and after looking through these huge volumes I did not find anything at all that peaked my interest. Fall and winter clothing is my favorite to wear, but I cannot see what are the major trends this fall as the fashion seems all over the place. I have a really good basic and classic wardrobe so I only need to buy about a dozen new items to add new life to what I already have, but I am at a loss as to what I can add. I am 48 and small so I can wear leggings, but I do not want to. I find that trend to be too young. I just don't like the look.

Maybe when LL Bean comes out with a their fall fashions I will buy a couple of beefy quality sweaters. I would like to see QVC add something other than tunics and loud prints and florals. So tiresome. I know one thing--I will not buy anything that I don't love everything is just too expensive anymore.

Respected Contributor

This is the case with me, too.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

I haven't seen anything in the recent mailings that interests me. Then today I'm watching SHQP and saw these. Wd.Ny Coated Knit Ankle Length Elastic Waist Pull-On Leggings for under $30. Connie Kunkle was the host and she looked so good in them, I went and ordered a pair for myself. These are actually fabric and may work until the cold weather comes and I begin wearing my leather pants.

Honored Contributor

Don't start just yet to feel totally let down. I now work in retail after retiring from teaching among other things, design, and this is just now what is referred to as "second summer". SS are clothes that are light weight and darker in color. They are the forerunner to the turtlenecks and jackets that aren't thin. As things start to come in, you'll notice about 10-12 themes that most designers have in common. I usually look to Ralph Lauren for the best jackets. I also love Michael Kors, Vince Camuto, WHBM, and Karen Kane. The long skirts will carry over, and you'll see soome Ikat, those boho patterns, and the loose dressing similar to Logo. Generally traditional styles of shoes don't balance these clothes, so you'll see shoties, boots, and platforms again. The magazine I stay with is Bazaar because they do the best. I stopped In Style because of all the awards dresses which could have been done smaller and it seemed to take up the magazine most months. Have fun!