Respected Contributor

O/T Just for Fun..Think back - What was your very FIRST job (paid by check)

I'm a 20+ year teacher and have been getting some back to school supplies ready for the children. Upon looking at a box of Elmer's Glue bottles, I began to remember (with a chuckle) my very first "paying" job.

It was summer right after I graduated from high school and I was 17 years old. Mattel Toy Company opened a factory a few miles from my house, and I was preparing to go to college in the Fall but wanted some "summer" money to spend. So, I applied at Mattel for an office job. They didn't have an office job available, but said I could work in the factory section. Without hesitating, I said Yes! I was put on a "glue machine" contraption that glued large toy truck labels on boxes. There were gobs of glue all over the floor area that I had to stand on, and I had to literally jump into a glued pair of open back shoes to work on the machine. When I had to leave the area, I had to jump a few feet to the right or left, in my socks, to get clear of the glue and to get where my own shoes were.

Needless to say, the job only lasted a few months before I left for college. I did make a few extra dollars, so my goal was met. But to this day, every time I see a glue stick or bottle I have a private laugh to myself.

Anyone else care are to share your first job experience?

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

Re: O/T Just for Fun..Think back - What was your very FIRST job (paid by check)

I worked in a bank part-time starting freshman year in college! I ended up staying there through school and then worked full-time for a while.....5 1/2 years total before moving on.

Respected Contributor

Bank Teller
Honored Contributor

As soon as I turned 16 - legal age to get a job in Pa - I went to work at a bakery. I worked there in various capacities until i graduated from nursing school. I loved that job. I made 99cents /hour which was very good pay back then. When I graduated from HS they gave me 10 cents an hour raise because I changed status to full time.

Frequent Contributor

It was the summer of 1970 and I had just finished my junior year in high school. I worked as a lifeguard at the local swimming pool. That was a great summer…my co-workers were fantastic and sitting around with my teenaged body in a bathing suit didn't stink. Never had to rescue a single soul. Unfortunately, all that exposure to the sun…now my skin is paying for it!

Super Contributor

Very first was just for two weeks as an assistant in a Head Start program.

The very next Christmas I started working at JC Penney and worked there every Christmas and summer until I graduated from college. Loved working there at Christmas, because we were located near a huge Army base and the soldiers would come in to buy gifts for their girlfriends and moms. I worked in cosmetics and in ladies clothing.

Honored Contributor

Ken's Pizza when I was 15 yrs old. I did not have a SS card yet & had to get one & should have been 16 to work but she hired me anyways. I was a waitress. You could not do that this day & age since they did serve beer.

Super Contributor

First job was stenographer working for federal government.

Esteemed Contributor

First job was when I got out of High School and that was working for Michigan Bell....I was 18.....

Honored Contributor

I worked at a bank the summer before I started college. Then disaster struck. My father suddenly died. We were in an awkward position. We were green card holders. My mother couldn't decide to go back to Italy or stay here (and become citizens). Meanwhile the bank offered me a job training as a manager. I stayed for a year, skipping college until our financial situation was better. I went back to school, though the bank wanted me back. Loved the job. I had direct deposit.