Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY 8/14)

Good morning, shopping friends. I was called to sub today but I have to return to the city today to get the new set of four tires, the size of which was not all in stock yesterday. This car has been the best car I have ever had. It is nearing 8 years old. the longest I have ever had a car. All that has been done has been routine maintenance, a new battery and tires. The mileage is still great. I see no reason to give up such a great car when it gets me from Point A to Point B safely and economically. It was "Car of the Year" when I bought it.

I do work tomorrow, so this will be a day of tires and odds and ends as I'm back in the "back to work" mode now. It was so good to see the students pictures of their back to school outfits, etc. on Facebook. This is the new year of the school law that requires all instructional days to be made up. In the past, non-instructional days had to be used to make up any days missed with students having to be out of school by June 8. That worked well when we didn't miss more than 5 days in a year because of weather reasons. It didn't work well when in the past two years of unusually bad winters, we were out 18 to 20 days because of hazardous conditions. Now, school can begin August 1 and end no later than June 30 to enable all days to be made up should horrible weather prohibit having school. Most schools began early to get the days in as much as possible before Winter.

I am watching Susan Graver. I confess to loving those set of two butter knit turtle necks. They are a great value and mix and match well, making them cost effective. Each year, I pick up a different set so this year I got the blue set. They wear very well so the first set I bought is still in great condition. I think this will be year 3 for that set.

I need to have my morning Greek yogurt snack break and then start getting ready to go to the city. I'm debating an early lunch here or lunch in the city. I do know I'll be doing some grocery shopping at WalMart after the car appointment.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY 8/14)

I'm off to the city so this will be a day of getting some things accomplished but again will be missing another day of the recumbent bike. I hate that the exercise center doesn't keep some evening hours. I don't see any shopping other than groceries while in the city. The tires today plus my new glasses will set me back a thousand this month. Ouch! The SG set of two tops is enough.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Jean, Getting tires & eyeglasses is expensive but a necessity in life. It is nice that your car has been so great for you with little maintenance. I know you enjoy teaching so I hope you have a great bunch of kids this year.

CouponQueen, Thank you for your nice post on SHOP ODAT Tues. I just discovered it this morning. I hope you find my reply to you.

Last night DH & I had fun at the rodeo. Not as good as our local fair rodeo, but still good. It is always fun to see young children participating. They had youngsters trying to stay on a sheep.

My excitement today was hanging two loads of laundry outside. It is breezy & in the 70's again. We are still having 50's at night. Might hit low 80's tomorrow & Saturday with more humidity. We need rain, but it is also in the forecast for the next few days.

Tonight for dinner DH is grilling steak. I need to fix a cauliflower that I bought last week & we like the two things together.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon! Thanks for getting us started Jean. That sounds like a very good car you have. My "totaled" car was the best I ever had in terms of repairs, etc., but it needed new tires much sooner than I expected. It really bothered me that all the tires were flat after the accident -- they were not inexpensive and only a few months old. It is a shame that the fitness center is not open later or on the weekend. Frustrating, I am sure. Hope you enjoy your new tops very much. And, have fun at the "gourmet" Wal-Mart. My local Wal-Mart does not fit into that category, but it is fairly nice/clean compared to many. I know eyeglasses with all the bells and whistles can cost quite a bit, but that is a "need" for sure.

Hi twinny -- I went back and read Tuesday's thread -- my heart goes out to both you and CouponQueen. Not an easy road for either the patient or the caregiver. Glad you enjoyed the rodeo. I haven't had steak for ages, but maybe soon.

Waves to Kathleen (Happy Birthday to your DH), Arlene, Rosa, Susan, Marijane, LindaR, Karen, Gayle, Gina, Nancy, Val, Kathy, and all of our posters and readers.

I finally decided that I will to go on the trip with DH -- wish me luck. I am not planning to drive long distances on the trip, and he seems eager to go.

Today DH has a podiatrist appointment, and I plan to go to Curves. Interestingly enough, the owner of my Curves has osteoporosis -- got it before age 50, and she does not take medicine due to other health problems. We talked a bit about adapting some of the Jillian Michael's exercises to avoid problems.

Have a good day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

LL, I am glad that you & your DH will be taking your trip. I hear it is a very beautiful place to visit. I think it is a good idea to not drive very far at one time. When DH & I travel, I usually start driving as I am more refreshed in the a.m. We always take a break about every 3 hours too. We don't go real far each day except for the first day when we are heading to the east coast. Our first night is in Eastern OH. Then the next 1 1/2 days are relatively easy for us.

Valued Contributor

Hello,

I slept in today, glad that happened because the extra hour was needed. Today was more or less a comfort food lunch (meatloaf) and just home from running a few errands.

My frustration from yesterday has declined but still very much there. My husband can read me pretty well, he left mid afternoon yesterday and came home with flowers. They did brighten my day. I was able to talk with my sister today and we were able to have a pretty good vent session. I can deal with most things in life, but manipulation is not one of them. Anyway, thanks for the ear to all who commented.

Also, read on the community page that QVC is changing their policy on posting replies etc. It seems that there is a push to contain the nasty posts. It will be interesting to see how that is implemented.

Good day to all! Gayle

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

Well, it's pretty warm out today, but I'm meeting a friend for dinner in a couple of hours so I don't know if I'll make it out to the pool or not. This is the lady who's going to be looking after the critters while I'm on vacation, and since she won't take payment apart from some gas money, I'm taking her out to dinner then bringing her home to meet the dogs, then early next week I'll run her through what has to be done and she'll get to meet the dogs again, so she's not a total stranger to them. She's a dog person, so I'm sure they'll get along; the cats don't care one way or another as long as they get their food. {#emotions_dlg.laugh} I also picked up a couple of things for her at Coldwater Creek as it was her birthday last week; I hope she likes them.

Yesterday I took a ride out to Jasper as I had almost $100 in postage that I needed reimbursement for. Rather than go to Western Sizzlin as I usually do I tried a new pizza place that's on the way, hoping it would be good. Sadly, it was a disappointment; their "top secret sauce" tasted like plain tomato sauce from a can, and the crust was like cardboard - I'd have assumed it was pre-made if I didn't see a guy rolling it out. Normally I'd have brought half the small pizza home to have the next day, but instead I gave it to the dogs - they loved it, but then again, they'll eat almost anything. That's one place I won't ever go back to. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown} I also left them a poor review on their FB page - mine isn't the only one.

I got enough cat food to get me through the end of the month at Walmart and picked up some donut peaches, as the season for them is so short. Now I'm trying to use what food I have in the refrigerator before I go away.

Jean, have you been to the post office lately? I can't believe how expensive your eyeglasses were! {#emotions_dlg.scared} I haven't bought glasses in about 25 years, as I not only get a better correction with contacts, but the lenses on my glasses would be about 1/2" thick...not only do I feel ugly in them, but people make asinine comments.

I drive a 1993 Nissan Sentra, which the Lord graciously provided for free. It has only 175,000 miles on it (Nissans go on forever and I've put on only about 50,000 miles in the 8 or so years I've had it) and it runs perfectly - even my mechanic is impressed. On one hand, I'd like to have a newer, "prettier" car, but on the other, I know what I've got - not only are there no car payments, but I've had friends buy newer cars and have expensive problems with them. I just have routine maintenance done on it, and the heater/AC had to be repaired.

I've never been to a rodeo, twinny. I think St. Jude has one in the area here once a year; I wish I'd gone to one when I lived in Hawaii so I could have seen the paniolos (Hawaiian cowboys) in action.

Gayle, that was nice of your husband to get your flowers. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I wish QVC would do something about the nasty posters are well; there are some real winners on here - miserable creatures who find fault with everything. I put them on ignore, but I wish there was a way to block them altogether as you can do on FB.

Well, I guess I'd better get moving; I need to get my friend's gifts packed up and figure out what I'm going to wear; I'm taking her to the new Mongolian Grill that recently opened and is very good. I also need to call Epson - I got a new printer a few months ago and am just now getting around to installing it, since the old one still had ink in it. It's not doing something it's supposed to, so hopefully they can help.

Have a blessed day, everyone - and please vote for Baby Ziggy! (You can see the link on the QVC Shopaholics FB page.)

Esteemed Contributor

Good evening, everyone! I'm home from the city and "baby" has new "shoes" or tires. I did some shopping at Walmart/

Linda--Women have been known to change their minds. Despite loving those tops,. I decided I had enough tops and decided to cancel. I agree it is a bummer that the center isn't open longer or on weekends but from what I have seen so far, few use the fitness equipment which is a shame as the center has a great selection of various types of fitness equipment.

Twinny--I just read the end of the Tuesday thread. Those were very moving posts. It isn't easy being a patient but it is especially challenging for the caregiver especially over a long period of time or during a very challenging illness.

Gayle--You have a great DH. He is so sensitive to your needs, so the flowers were a great idea. I just hope the visit goes better than expected.

Arlene--I stopped at the Post Office on the way home, and discovered a great item. You are so sensitive in selecting great items for people. I love it! I've not heard of these but they are so appropriate. The frames of the glasses were $219. The transition feature was $95, and they are coated Varilux, etc.. etc. I used to wear contacts but no longer can so I've worn glasses for several years. Frames can be cheap but not sturdy, etc. I could have bought even more expensive designer name frames but didn't.

Esteemed Contributor

Gayle, that was so nice of your DH to bring you a special treat home. Hopefully your meetings will go well. Yesterday, I had issues with my elderly mom too. It is not easy being the solo care taker when situations arise. She is still in her own home, but she does things that are scary for me to hear about.

FHG, I hope you have a great trip. I have only been to a Mongolian restaurant once, but it was very good.

Jean, Yes it is rough for the caretaker. I think at times worse than the patient. My DH is very patient with me so that is a good thing. He had to do things to me I don't think I could have ever learned to do. I have many things to be thankful for so that helps me a lot & I know God does have me in the palm of His hand.