Super Contributor

What do you think of hats and, yes, parasols in addition to SPF?

For those who are intrigued by hats, parasols, and other fripperies:

And those who dislike slathering on SPF, esp if it has to be multiple times a day:

Would you ever wear a hat or even carry a parasol as back up?

This thread is in response to Colonel Meow's earlier and very informative thread about hats and parasols and other alternatives to SPF.

So, first, on hats: has anyone had any luck with sun-hats, for example, QVC's line of Physician Endorsed Sun Hats? Or the ones at Duluth Trading Company/Place...?

Second, tThere was a question about whether one can even find parasols for sale. Amazon has several listings of lovely east Asian parasols as well as lacey looking Victorian ones. For example:

http://www.amazon.com/Umbrella-Romantic-Wedding-Battenburg-Available/dp/B00H5DW7UG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF...

(I couldn't get the picture to post, sorry!)

Respected Contributor

Re: What do you think of hats and, yes, parasols in addition to SPF?

Well, I love hats, so I wear them a lot anyway.

If I'm going to be out in the sun walking around (like I was at an art festival all day yesterday), or at the beach, yes I wear a hat. I have a lot of different ones, and for me it's fashion as well as shielding from the sun.

Not sure about parasols...

Eta: I have found spf hats in various places...stores, markets, etc. I have a few. They've worked well, but I think for me, any.hat works. If the brim is wide enough to shield my eyes and the back.of my neck, it's good for me.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor

On 8/3/2014 Marienkaefer2 said:

If I'm going to be out in the sun walking around (like I was at an art festival all day yesterday), or at the beach, yes I wear a hat. I have a lot of different ones, and for me it's fashion as well as shielding from the sun.

I love them too, and have a few...but feel a little shy wearing them. I want to get over that. Must be so great to have a collection. Hats for fashion sounds wonderful!

As for the parasols- so pretty, but probably impractical.

Honored Contributor

I live in a part of the country that is very hot and sunny for 6-7 months of the year. I wear hats or use an umbrella (parasols generally aren't collapsible to stick in a bag) not for sun protection (I will still use suntan lotion if necessary as I am fair-skinned) but for protection from heat and the sun's glare. I don't care about the "fashion" aspect except that I don't wear hats or visors, or use an umbrella, that I consider dorky or UNattractive. Other than that, I have reached the age of comfort and utility trumps fashion statements ;-)
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

On 8/3/2014 mustbuyless said:

I love them too, and have a few...but feel a little shy wearing them. I want to get over that. Must be so great to have a collection. Hats for fashion sounds wonderful!

Oh, you shouldn't be shy about wearing hats. I think they give an extra zip to your look.

It took me a while to find the style that looks best on me. I like cloches, mostly for winter, and broader brimmed woven hats for summer. I like ones that have a ribbon or scarf around them. Where I live, it rains a lot in winter, so wearing a hat is easier than carrying an.umbrella all the time. (And wearing a raincoat of course) Smiley Happy

So wear the ones you like. Also, I find they are great for avoiding people you don't want to talk to. Lol.

I have some neighbors who are very chatty and sometimes I don't have time to talk. When I'm out working in the yard, I just wear my bigger brimmed hat and I don't have to make eye contact. Smiley Happy

Parasols are pretty, I agree.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

I like hats in general - and hate sunscreen -but I think wearing a hat out in the hot sun would be very hot. I do wear a hat when I am in the pool though - a baseball cap, because when you have white hair like me it does not shield your scalp from the sun and you can get a bad burn on your head through your hair, despite that I have quite a lot of hair.My DH is bald and he also swims wearing a baseball cap.

I like the idea of a parasol. You see women often in Florida carrying an umbrella to shield them from the sun. We should start a new trend.

Super Contributor

On 8/3/2014 happy housewife said:

I like hats in general - and hate sunscreen -but I think wearing a hat out in the hot sun would be very hot. I do wear a hat when I am in the pool though - a baseball cap, because when you have white hair like me it does not shield your scalp from the sun and you can get a bad burn on your head through your hair, despite that I have quite a lot of hair.My DH is bald and he also swims wearing a baseball cap.

I like the idea of a parasol. You see women often in Florida carrying an umbrella to shield them from the sun. We should start a new trend.

happy housewife, I did not know that about white hair. Mine is graying and getting there! I wonder if the straw hats with their in-built ventilation prevent that sweaty feeling in summer.

about starting a trend: you are a lady after my heart. Let's do it. Maybe we should declare a national parasol day, choose a time, and at the designated moment, raise a parasol to each other across the USA.

Seriously, it could be fun. Those Florida ladies are on to something. I have carried umbrellas in the sun in very hot countries and am ok doing it in places where no one knows me. In fact I'm much more likely to carry an umbrella in the sun than in the rain, lol.

Super Contributor

Hat, yes, no problem at all. I have dozens of hats. Parasols, not in a million years. I didn't even carry an umbrella when I lived in Seattle. I hate the encumbrance.

Super Contributor

On 8/3/2014 mustbuyless said:

Oh, you shouldn't be shy about wearing hats. I think they give an extra zip to your look.

It took me a while to find the style that looks best on me. I like cloches, mostly for winter, and broader brimmed woven hats for summer. I like ones that have a ribbon or scarf around them. Where I live, it rains a lot in winter, so wearing a hat is easier than carrying an.umbrella all the time. (And wearing a raincoat of course) Smiley Happy

So wear the ones you like. Also, I find they are great for avoiding people you don't want to talk to. Lol.

I have some neighbors who are very chatty and sometimes I don't have time to talk. When I'm out working in the yard, I just wear my bigger brimmed hat and I don't have to make eye contact. Smiley Happy

Parasols are pretty, I agree.

I also would prefer a hat and raincoat to an umbrella in the rain! Your hats do sound pretty. Of course in earlier centuries milliners were style experts and knew exactly how to match faces to hats-

I also had no idea bout the social benefits of wearing a hat!! Too funny- and definitely would come in handy. There are several occasions when I don't want to make eye contact just because I want some solitude/privacy- so I totally see your point.

Duluth Trading Company, $32.95. It's described as a sun-hat, made of 59 %paper, 25% poly, and 17% cotton. UPF of 50+. I've been eyeing it for some time. You've given me the nerve to actually go for it! Thanks, MarienKaefer!

QVC has quite a few too- Physician Endorsed brand. Pricey but I might check one out.

Super Contributor

On 8/3/2014 Clover29 said:

Hat, yes, no problem at all. I have dozens of hats. Parasols, not in a million years. I didn't even carry an umbrella when I lived in Seattle. I hate the encumbrance.

Sadly I have to agree. Our lives have changed so much since those days when ladies of leisure could dress all in white and carry parasols to their picnics. Oh well. I gather they're still popular for what's called "romantic weddings." Would hate it if they disappeared altogether.