Trusted Contributor

Good morning ladies, hope all is well.

No TSV for me, seems like it is always a computer for sale on Sunday. Looks like we have rain again today, it was sort of sunny out this morning and now the sky is just dark, you would think it is 7:00 at night here. I have to admit I am getting very tired of this weather, I want to know when summer is going to make it here.

Today is my GF 99th birthday, and we are going to a lunch at a restaurant for him today. I tried to eat as little as possible this morning knowing I will have a large lunch. I don't like to eat such a large lunch, never seem hungry enough for it but, I will give it the college try.

I was reading the Sunday paper and am amazed at all the school ads, I know Jean's area is going back soon. I can't remember if summer seem to fly so fast when I was in school.

Well off to get some caffeine and get ready for the day, hope everyone has a great day.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Shopaholics ODAT - Sunday

Good Morning Ladies,thanks for starting Susan.....Happy 99th Birthday to your GF.....that's wonderful. Hope all of you have a great time today. It's rainy here too..has been most of the weekend. Our school starts here the week before Labor Day....the summer seems to be flying..I was hoping for a better season after the winter we had. Not much going on but I will find something to do.... Have a nice day everyone......Marijane
Esteemed Contributor

Susan--Thank you for starting the thread. Good thing I checked again before hitting the "submit" button. I have no interest in the TSV either. My current laptop and tablet are doing just fine. We are having the same lousy weather but we are only 3 hours apart. Summer? If this is Summer, I hate to see what Winter brings. A 99th birthday is a great reason to go out and celebrate.

Yes, school begins this week in some areas of our state this week. Every day missed because of weather must be made up. At one time, weather didn't wreck things so much but in the past few years, it has really been dong a number. It is either start early or go to late June. They took a week's Spring break away this year because of "snow days" as well as using other non-instructional days to make up days missed. Students don't go to school from January 2 to June without a break without losing interest and creating diversionary interests. They just decided to start early and maintain all the breaks. I think we were out 18 days last year because of snow; the normal is 3 to 5.

Marijane--Have a great day! I do agree that the thing called Summer has passed too quickly without us being able to enjoy the reality of Summer.

I'll post my long winded opening in a separate post.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

This is the opening I had prepared when I saw the thread had not been posted but was when I double-checked before hitting the submit button.

Good morning, shopping friends. I'll be off to the city today to have a late lunch/early dinner with a friend at the Outback. He has just returned home from a lengthy trip and also selling his vacation property. He has decided maintaining two properties and the cost is too much with his health challenges.

My personal challenge right now is not indulging in more clothing shopping for a month. I could set a goal of a year but that would be unrealistic. I did enough damage this weekend and part of it was due to items I had planned on purchasing later being offered at "buy one, save $5 on each additional." It made some sense to me to purchase them now and save some money.

I have coming home two pair of the Dream jeannes and two pair of the Denim & Co. original waist pull on pants of which they have sold millions. I like both of these for different reasons. Losing weight is one good reason for buying. I also have the Clarks boots for $53 from Amazon coming home to me. On check status is the black patterned top from the SG item I received last week and loved. A225581. This is one of the best tops I have ever ordered. I'm still debating its purchase since I indulged so much this weekend. At the same time, I can remember when I dropped major, major dollars on Fall and Spring Fashion Days but that was at a time when it seemed I needed or was it wanted much more.

Wanty called and I answered. Now that I have indulged to the tune of $230 including shipping and tax, I am satisfied....I think. I take my buying in spurts. I think part of it dates back to the time when I was a kid that the family would take shopping trips in late summer or early Fall to load up for the Winter and then again in early Spring to load up for the rest of the year. The only shopping in between was for food or similar consumable items.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Susan, sorry for your dreary weather. We have been in the low 80's for two days. It did rain last evening but we really needed it. It might rain tonight & several days this week. I can live with upper 70's-low 80's & some rain. We had recored rainfall in June & very dry for July. I hope August & September are nice this year as DH & I will be on the east coast for about 3 weeks vacationing with our DS & DDIL. What a wonderful celebration a 99th birthday luncheon. Do enjoy! I see lots of school ads in our paper & school supplies in the stores too.

Marijane, Our schools start here the day after Labor Day. State law now. Hopefully I can send you some nice weather real soon so you can keep it out there.

Jean, Have fun in the city today. Outback is a nice place. We don't get there real often though. You made some fun purchases & I am sure you will get lots of wear out of them. They seem nice & easy to put together in different ways when you are traveling. I like Denim & Co. for pants too. I also remember shopping for school clothes & then again for summer things. It is much more fun to shop whenever we have the urge to do so. I did some mall shopping (looking really) last Sunday when we took our DGS's back home. I was so tired when we got home I went right to bed for two hours., It is times like these when I would pay any amount of $$$ to get QVC clothing delivered right to my home. My DH really enjoys shopping so I enjoy mostly mall watching. You really do see some unusual things out there. I remember when I could shop from morning until night & still be ready to do something in the evening.

Yesterday my earring shopping with my DGD was not very good. No earrings that I would want her to try in case she got sore ears. I told her that today when we get done with my DH's company picnic, we will go to a mall near by on our way back to taking her home. There is a nice Claire's in there & that is where she got her ears pierced.

FHG, Our DGD is 9 years old It has been out of the mouth of babe's this weekend too. She hears all & remembers it too. She was asking me if we liked our home & I said yes we did. I told her that we built it 19 years ago & she said "you built it?" I said no the contractor did. Then she said "oh yes my mom told me that she wished that she had lived here when she was growing up." Actually we never planned to leave our older home, but after my dear father passed away very suddenly, my DH saw a lot for sale one block from where my mom built her new home. The rest is history.

Hugs to all of you.

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

Well, it looks like summer weather is returning at last! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} The temperature is going to the high 80s today, and back to the 90s for the rest of the week, so I'll be able to use my pool. As it is, given how few days I've been able to swim this year and what I paid to get the pool up and going, each swim has been rather expensive. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Last night I took the dogs to the park; we walked for almost 2 miles. It's so cute to see how excited they get when they realize where we're going; it must be nice to get so excited over something so simple - I don't remember the last time I was really excited about something. I passed by Coldwater Creek on the way home; they have 9 more days until they close. I don't need anything, and I have to be careful this month, so it's not likely I'll be going back; in fact, I admit I have too much clothing, and lately have been focusing on getting rid of sandals that aren't comfortable, as well as weeding through my purses. I love the one I've been using, but the kittens decided to use it as a scratching post, so that one will be headed to the thrift shop. It's not really bad, but I know those tiny holes are there and they bother me, and it's not like I don't have many others that I can use.

Congratulations on your GFs birthday, Susan! I expect next year you'll have a major celebration.

Twinny, that's the age where little girls are still cute. I never had any interest in babies, but from about 3 through 10 (sometimes a little older, depending upon what they've been exposed to - seems innocence is short-lived these days) they're adorable; I really enjoy them at that age. You're fortunate to have her.

Schools here start classes on Thursday; I can't wrap my head around going back so early. When I went to school the first day of class was after Labor Day; I think it's still like that in NYC.

Jean, I haven't been to Outback in over a year; the last time I went it wasn't very good - the steak was tough and gristly. These days if I want a steak I go to Logan's or Western Sizzlin - in fact, I have a bunch of soldier packages that have to get mailed, so I'll be headed out to my bank (and thus Western Sizzlin) later this week. Hope you enjoyed your lunch.

LindaR, ShopHQ has that cat purse back in stock |here; it's on 6 Value Pays today. Anushka has so many gorgeous purses! {#emotions_dlg.tt1}

Well, I guess I'd better start thinking about getting outside; I want to get through with my swim early enough that I can take Autumn & Honeybun out again.

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Respected Contributor

Oh the kitty bag is very cute--will have to think about it. I am on shopping hiatius. Too many suprises with stuff going up and up. My water bill was about the same but when I checked my usage I had been quite frugal this month.

After church a family had provided some lovely snacks for all to enjoy. It was quite a lovely spread. The deserts were fabulous (FHG---I thought about your baking endeavors). So I ate there and really didn't need to think about lunch.

This morning when I was getting ready for church the dogs were all in other parts of the house. I went to get their bowls ready---I popped the top on a can of food and presto they all appeared instantly. I don't know how they heard me pull open that tab!

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening! Thanks for getting us started Susan. Hope you had a wonderful lunch/birthday celebration for your GF. I also hope he makes it another year. They have celebrations around here for the people who make it to 100 -- one at my church and one at the place I work, etc. Hard for me to imagine living that long.

Some of the kids around here went back to school last Thursday, and others will go back this Thursday. That seems very early to me, but....

Sorry you have had a cooler than normal summer Marijane. It was a bit cooler than normal this morning (low 70's), but it is pretty warm/hot now. Not sure many would envy our hot weather, however it suits me okay.

Hi Jean -- funny I was thinking about you when I saw the D&Co. jeans were on the buy more plan. I know that you like those pants, and you will no doubt get a lot of use out of them. Hope all the things you ordered work out well. Thanks for the information about the fit of QF jeans. I have sized down for some jeans (like the Coldwater Creek and NMDJ), but only one size. I would rather take the chance that the one size lower would fit than go down two sizes. I still have not ordered, however since I am months away from wearing jeans. I guess I should go ahead since they may well be sold out later.

Hi twinny -- it must be so fun to have your DGD around. I really wish that would work out for me, but.... Hope you do find some earrings for her. My DGD is 14, and already is taller and heavier than me, plus has larger feet. She is even taller than her Mom, and has a larger shoe size. To think that we were worried that she wouldn't hit 5 feet tall. It wasn't all that long ago, and suddenly she gained the height, etc.

Enjoy swimming Arlene. Glad summer is back there. It is nice that the dogs get so happy about their walks, etc.

Waves to Jules, Kathleen, LindaR, Karen, Rosa, Nancy (Happy Birthday!), Sonya, Gina, Gayle, Val, Kathy, and all of our posters and readers.

I had an extremely frustrating time with my printer yesterday -- ended up talking to the company for two hours plus, and I will be getting a re-conditioned printer from them next week. No charge except for paying for expedited shipment. I will not keep the new printer in the room that gets so hot, at least not until our weather changes quite a bit.

DH and I went to the gym after I went to church this morning. Nothing much planned for this afternoon other than ironing. That is exciting -- not!

Hope everyone has a nice evening!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Marijane: Oh happy birthday to your GF. Hope you all had a lovely time.

LindaL: Oh printer issues no fun at all. Glad you got some resolution. I didn't buy my printer at Staples but I have taken it in for their ""geeks"" to help me with issues. For the most part there is not a charge.

I was talking with a lady at lunch (church) today. I commented that her Grands seem to have been on a growing spurt. She said her GS had grown three inches and her GD had to get new shoes--size 13 men's Converse!. That would make it hard to find fashionable shoes. I think right now she is a bit of a tom boy and not that concerned with fashion but that might change.

Yesterday when I was working the community garage sale event a lady was at the check out with her items. She said that they had been on the list for adoptions for a long time. Just that week they had learned they had been approved. They would be getting the two older children (ages 3 and 4) next week and then the younger ones (1 and 2) soon after. I thought all my goodness--what a change for that family. She was very excited. I thought about our family at church that added the five brothers to their home. They had (at the time) a three year old they had adopted. The younger one seems to have some ""issues"" but the oldest one is really a little gentleman. I know there is much love and joy in their home. I have watched the Mom corral them when we have food and for the most part they are all very well behaved. Today she allowed them to have extra sweets----I'm sure they were wound up later---but there were so many choices. When they got their plates and were seated they waited until the blessing was said. I know life will have their bumpy roads but there is love in that home.

Trusted Contributor

Oops ..you got me mixed up with Susan,LindaR....it's her GF.......I would have loved to have known my 2 sets of grandparents, unfortunately they had passed away before I was born. I do Hope Susan and her family had a great day! I am grateful my kids did get to know both sides of their grandparents.