Honored Contributor

I just redid my closet for Back to School.. now I need to know...

…how not to look frumpy/dumpy when 95% of my things are from Walmart and QVC.

My wardrobe pretty much consists of D&Co. pants, tees from Walmart and some tanks from LL Bean. I do have quite a lot of nice cardis and shrugs. How do you make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.. so to speak?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: I just redid my closet for Back to School.. now I need to know...

Accessories and great shoes, my friend!

Honored Contributor

House Cat, I am going to paraphrase Henry Ward Beecher and ask if you have ever heard the saying that 'clothes do not make the man?'

It's not what you wear dear House Cat, it's how you wear it {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}. This is from a JCPenney and Meijer and Kmart girl.

"Clothes and manners do not make the man; but, when he is made, they greatly improve his appearance" Henry Ward Beecher

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

On 8/1/2014 lolakimono said:

Accessories and great shoes, my friend!

And attitude!

Super Contributor

Hi house cat,

I have a question for you to ponder: If you think you look frumpy/dumpy in your Walmart and QVC clothes, then why are they in your closet in the first place?

Think about starting a "look book" with photos of clothes, accessories and shoes that you like. This should be relatively easy with all the fall catalogs and fashion magazines coming out. Then figure out why you are attracted to these clothes and then think about incorporating them or similar styles into your wardrobe (budget allowing, of course).

Honored Contributor

house_cat; I am sure you look much nicer than you perceive yourself. We are almost always our own worse critic. You have a great personality and that will shine through above all. Your best accessory is your smile!

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

On 8/1/2014 maddiecat said:

Hi house cat,

I have a question for you to ponder: If you think you look frumpy/dumpy in your Walmart and QVC clothes, then why are they in your closet in the first place?

Think about starting a "look book" with photos of clothes, accessories and shoes that you like. This should be relatively easy with all the fall catalogs and fashion magazines coming out. Then figure out why you are attracted to these clothes and then think about incorporating them or similar styles into your wardrobe (budget allowing, of course).

I don't think I look frumpy and dumpy on a good day.

I have to get inspired and a-c-c-e-s-s-o-r-i-z-e {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I love all my AMS cheerleaders! Are we on for tomorrow or is it another weekend of Christmas? Halloween? Easter?

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

On 8/1/2014 maddiecat said:

Hi house cat,

maddicat, this is one of the best ideas that I have ever of to really pinpoint your own style and avoid mistakes. I know my style but will still do this as a fun experiment. Thank you!
Valued Contributor

You are very lucky you can be so casual for work! I have to wear suits and business wear so I couldn't wear any of that. It sounds comfortable. If you want to get some great pieces, you should consider consignment or goodwill stores. There are many treasures to be found.