Contributor

Hello Ladies....I'm going to Ireland for the first time in October. I'm traveling with my Mom (who is from Ireland) and my sister.. They have been before, but this this my first time.. finally going....

I'm a horrible packer so I'll have to work on that. My question is - I need comfy shoes because we'll be doing a lot of walking and I can't bring too many pairs or shoes/boots. I wanted to bring only 3 pair total.

What shoe/boot would you recommend for all of my sightseeing? I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks so much!!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Frequent Contributor

Good for you! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I've traveled abroad quite a bit, including a trip to Scotland last month and nothing has served me better than Skechers Go Walks. My husband and my brother swear by them as well. Between the three of us, we have back problems, hip, knee, feet....and we all have found they are a great walking shoe with loads of support. Plus, so lightweight, they are easy to carry in your luggage. They aren't as fashionable as other shoes but if your feet hurt, you don't care what you look like...these allow you to go all day without a hitch.

Have a great time!

Honored Contributor

My top pick would be Alegria, a shoe like this (it's like walking on pillows). The Velcro allows for adjustability, if you find that your feet are swollen.

My second pick would be a shoe from Birkenstock.

This Dorian style is very comfortable.

dorian-scottish-check-black-bf-353703

My third pick would be a short boot, like these from Born. The style that I really love is the Karin (I don't see it anymore) but they are super comfortable.

Born Mabel Tango Full Grain

One of your choices should be waterproof or water repellant.

Super Contributor

My husband and I made our first trip to Ireland last year

and really had a wonderful trip. We took ""A Taste of Ireland""

tour by motor coach with a group of really nice people

from all over the world..the US...and South Africa.

I was able to wear my Skecher's blue sandals the whole

trip and it was so much fun. Have a great time.

Valued Contributor

I went to Ireland in October 2 years ago. I would suggest a good walking shoe like the Sketchers mentioned. I also brought a comfy pair of Aerosoles (all broken in). I would stay away from open toed or sandals. Be sure you bring layers to add or subtract depending on the weather (it's variable!). A raincoat or jacket with hood is good because it rains a lot, albeit briefly. No need for an umbrella; they just get in the way. I also took a puffy jacket (not down), gloves and a cap. The wind blows across the lakes and hills and can get chilly (esp if you go to the cliffs of Moher or on a catamaran).

There truly are "40 shades of green" in Ireland. Have a wonderful trip!

Respected Contributor

DH and I have been to Ireland twice, the first time was approximately the same time of year you'll be there...the end of Sept./beginning of Oct. I bought a pair of "Cobbie Cuddler" black tie oxford shoes from Walmart and wore them...took no other shoes. I knew from experience they were super comfy walking shoes. DH & I didn't want to be burdened with a bunch of luggage, so we packed very minimally both times. I wore a pair of jeans and packed one more pair of jeans and two pairs of black pants, a few black and white tops, a sweater and wore my black trench raincoat. Didn't take a lot of toiletries...you can buy what you forget there. I bought one of those electrical converter thingies, but the B&Bs all had hair dryers, so I didn't use it.

DH and I shared a suitcase, and stored in in the overhead. Oh yeah, we dropped dirty laundry off at a laundry one morning midway through the trip and picked up our clean clothes later that day.

Have a wonderful time on your trip...you'll love it!!!

Super Contributor

Hi!

I lived in N. Ireland for several years and took lots of trips all over the south & rest of UK. You'll see lots of light rain, interrupted with sun. Temps can range from warm to pretty chilly.

The best bet it to bring lots of layers, including a light jacket. For your feet, I'd suggest your most comfortable walking shoe. No sandals unless fisherman style as your feet may get wet. Also make sure your shoes are okay for variable surfaces. Many of the sightseeing spots can have anything from carpet to cobblestone. Several towns have pedestrian zones with a variety of surfaces. I'd also bring something a wee but dresser for evenings out, but not a stiletto type, more casual dressy like a nice ballet flat. Boots are okay, but take up lots of luggage real estate.

Hope you have a wonderful time!

Trusted Contributor
Check out Merrel brand shoes too. On the advice of a friend, I wore a pair of black mesh-type Merrel clogs for almost our whole trip to Ireland two years ago. They were comfortable, easy to get on and off, could be worn with skirt and tights if you wanted. They might not work for heavy hiking, but otherwise I was very pleased with them.
Occasional Contributor

My favorite travel shoe is Spring Step clog style "Florenca". They are a copy of an Ariat style that I can no longer find. I walked all over Rome on two separate trips and I had happy feet. The Ariat ones were a bit more comfy and ran true to size, but the Spring Step pictured below run about a half size small. My last trip to Rome was during the fall, so I took a low heeled shootie too. They were a little dressier. Enjoy your trip!

Spring Step Florenca

Esteemed Contributor

I absolutely LOVE the Clarks unstructured shoe, A223884. They are pricey at $130 on QVC. I have one pair and they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever had. I think they are cute too. I have them in the brown. If I lived in a cooler climate (I can only hope) I would buy them in more colors.

I was in Dublin, Ireland, for one night years ago and I loved it. Hope I get back there some day. I hope you have great trip.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead