Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (7/29)

Good morning, shopping friends. I'll be off to the fitness place in a few minutes but wanted to take this opportunity to touch base. I'm also waiting for the temperature to climb out of the mid-50's; if this is Summer, what will Winter bring?

I understand this weekend is Fall Fashion time. As much as I've bought lately, most of which can be worn year round, I don't know that I need to buy more. The funny thing is that I did one of those preliminary astrology things just for the fun of it. It told me that I needed to be cautious as I tend to be an impulsive shopper. Whoa! In the past, perhaps, but not now. I evaluate where it fits into my current wardrobe and if there is a need. I've had to replace several pants, as I'm down a size there. I've also bought some tops to coordinate and replace some aging items. I guess perhaps I need to tune Fashion Day or whatever out to avoid any temptation.

Is it cost effective? Do I need it? Where does it fit in my current wardrobe? Can I park it in the cart and then go elsewhere to do something and then forget I had considered it? If I hadn't seen the item online or in the store would I even have considered a "need" to buy? Whatever question you ask, it is a method of delaying immediate purchase. Of course, the time-honored method is "check status" just in case something better materializes within two weeks.

I saw on another thread that this is National Lasagna Day. I had already planned, before seeing that thread, to have a veggie lasagna for dinner.

I'm down four pounds so far this month after a stall. I'm off to the fitness place, so have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (7/29)

Jean, Have a great day at the fitness center today. I don't want to buy anything on fashion weekend either unless it really looks good to me. Your buying makes total sense. I like the astrology message to you. It makes total sense. I don't go out of control with my spending as my medical bills are more important. Yes, I do like to look nice, but I still have lots of clothes even after purging my closet a few months ago. I hope to have some fun shopping at the QVC outlets in Sept. & also maybe buy a few things at the Q Studio store in Sept.

It is still in the 70's by day & 50's at night. I am loving it, but my tomato plants do need some hot humid days. We might hit 80 by the weekend.

Today DH & I are taking my mom to her eye appt. a few towns away. Her eyesight is very bad & they can't seem to help her much anymore. It just seems like shots, shots & more shots to no avail. It will also be lunch out somewhere. I am thinking the $1.00 senior citizen lunch. She hasn't been there before. DH just came in from walking & said it was beautiful today.

Hugs to all of you.

Trusted Contributor

Good morning ladies, hope all is well.

Jean - Thank you for starting us today, have a good time at the fitness center. Good job on the spending, I have not been so good lately, and need to reel myself back in. I have been trying to shop my closet, when I decluttered clothes a few months ago I did find a pair of pants and a 3/4 length sleeve sweater I forgot I had. Good thing I found them, because I wore them last week to a show we went to. I also have been more picky on the things I have been buying, if I don't love them on me - back on the rack they go. I have donated too many things I thought I would learn to love.

I am also waiting to get some July weather here, the weather has been September weather not swimming weather.

Twinny2 - Good luck at the eye doctors with your mom, have a good time at lunch also.

Not much going on here, I do have to do some cleaning. DH and I are both starting to feel better from what-ever we had. Unfortunately, my house has been ignored for the past week and it is showing it. I will do some light cleaning today, we have our last show to go to tonight so I don't want to start any large projects, but I do have "many stacks" of stuff around here to put away.

Hope everyone has a good afternoon.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning! Have a good time at the fitness center Jean. I'm not sure what I'll be doing for exercise today -- things are complicated by a possible doctor appointment for DH this afternoon. I say possible, because they may want to change the appointment to this morning which would not work for us.

Great about your weight loss. I'm sure you are not an impulsive shopper any longer. I am getting better that way myself. But, I find it very difficult not to buy any impulse items. And, I have too many clothes and shoes despite de-cluttering and donating. At least I have made some progress.

Sorry about your cool summer weather. That is not a problem here for sure. Our walk this morning was nice and no bug swarms!

Hope your Mom enjoys lunch today twinny. I have heard of several cases like your Mom with no improvement with eye problems. Likewise, I have heard of people who have arthritis problems that just don't get better. It must be very discouraging for her. Glad you and your DH live nearby and can help her so much. Nice that it is a beautiful day.

My physical therapist said I have made great progress, and I agree. I think it is quite possible that tomorrow will be my last session. Curves went well yesterday, and I can do most of the exercises without pain.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, Marijane, Susan, LindaR, Karen, Rosa, Gayle, Gina, Sonya, Nancy, Val, Kathy, and all of our posters and readers.

I will be volunteering at the senior lunch program today, and DH will be coming for lunch. Hope to firm up the afternoon plans soon when we hear back from DH's doctor.

Have a good day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- Glad you and your DH are feeling better Susan. I'm getting better at returning things as well.

I ended up calling DH's doctor, and they did want to re-schedule for this morning. I said no, and they were fine with that. And, since this was just a six month check-up (urologist) and nothing has changed, we will not re-schedule for a while. Whew!

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--Enjoy the outing with your mother. It is so frustrating to continue to seek medical treatment of any type and not find relief. The $1 lunch sounds like a good option since your mother has not been there.

Susan--I haven't been the best on spending lately as I've been replenishing some things when I see things that really appeal to me. Like you, if something doesn't really grab me, it doesn't get purchased or goes back immediately. Things that might look great on someone else may not be right for me once I try it on.

Linda--Good report on the physical therapy. Hopefully that is now at an end. Enjoy your volunteering at the luncheon. It is nice that DH can join you. I do hope that you are able to schedule your afternoon without the doctor's appointment being rescheduled to then.

Obviously, I'm back from the fitness place. Since I didn't go yesterday, I pushed myself to rack up ten miles on the recumbent bike in 82 minutes.

I'm watching Denim & Co. now as I wind down from the exercise. I'll be fixing some grilled chicken with steamed veggies for lunch, followed by Netflix while I discover what can leave the house.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

I just talked with my Florida niece. She spends most of the time sleeping because of the pain meds they have her on. She said they were running more tests today.

Because of height loss, I'm into buying petites now. The crops I have are now too long but I can pretend they are ankle pants that shrunk. The fact that I lost weight also helped them to get loose enough to "fall down" more on the legs and hips.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon ladies: Got my homeowners insurance bill and went into sticker shock. It hadn't increased after the fires--so I guess the increases finally caught up with my cycle. So I will be watching my spending for sure.

Oh mid 50 I know is cool for July---but doubt that and you would love our temps here. We can send hot and humid--we have that for sure.

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

The weather here is like your's, Susan - more like September than July. Yesterday it never got past 80° and today it's in the 70s. Needless to say, I haven't been able to swim, and am starting to regret spending so much money to get the pool up and going. {#emotions_dlg.crying} Last night I went out to the back porch to relax on the lounge chair with my Kindle, and I had to go back in the house to get a throw as it was chilly. Hopefully we'll have an Indian summer and it will be warm well into autumn.

I took the girls on an outing yesterday after being stuck at home because I couldn't lock my back door. Autumn got a swim in the creek, then we went for a walk. On our way back to the car Autumn got out of her collar and headed for the water again; the little demon wouldn't come when called, and finally two little boys were able to catch her for me. She not only got scolded all the way home (while trying to look repentant), but she got to watch as Honeybun enjoyed her cheese rollup from Taco Bell - no treats for bad girls! When I was on the back porch she kept trying to "make nice" - hopefully she learned her lesson. Her new collar (which is embroidered with her name and phone number) is a little too big; I have to get her a smaller size.

I don't need any fall/winter clothes, but I did get two very nice sweaters at Coldwater Creek - a $100 sweater for under $20 is too good a deal to pass up. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} I remember when I was stupid enough to pay that much for clothing; I sure do regret all the money I wasted by shopping high-end stores such as Bergdorf's for so many years. I might be tempted to make one more trip to CC before they close down; we'll see.

Glad to hear you're doing better, Linda. Sorry to hear about your mom's eyesight problems, twinny.

Well, I need to start thinking about what I want to have for lunch, then I'm going to do some yard work while it's cool. I also need to give the kittens baths as they have fleas, despite being given a flea treatment; that'll go over like a lead balloon with them! Shoshanna's eye is thankfully getting better with using the drops the doctor gave me for the eye infection I had, so an expensive vet trip was avoided. My Jacob - who has decided he'd rather stay outside all the time - has bites on his nose from fleas. I put some flea medication in his food so that got rid of them, but his nose is red; I've been treating it with an antibiotic ointment. Always something with these furbabies...but I love them! {#emotions_dlg.wub} Baby Donny is jealous of the kittens, so if one of the little ones (usually Ziggy) is snuggled in the crook of my arm while I'm on the computer, Baby Donny is soon atop him! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Esteemed Contributor

LindaR--Sorry about the sticker shock on the homeowner's insurance. I wouldn't mind having some of your temps right now. When we were out there in July, it felt like our weather as ours is usually very humid so the usual temps in the mid to high 90s often feel like much more. We usually have at least a couple of days with the temps around 100 to 103 by now but not this year. We managed to reach a high of 70 today, which is about 25 degrees below normal for this time of the year. One positive note of it is the lack of use of the AC which will help with the electricity bill.

Arlene--This summer has been very frustrating for those who invested money in upgrading, repairing or buying swimming pools. I have a friend who had installed a new one and has been able to use it one day. You are so correct; it doesn't justify the cost. You got a great deal at Coldwater Creek; I wouldn't pass it up either.

The lawn person was here and took care of the lawn, so there went $40. It may be cool but the grass is thriving.

I got two more of those revolving organizers which were delivered today. I was lying in bed reading my Kindle when I glanced at a corner shelf by the bed where I keep some things in a box should I need them at night. It dawned upon me that perhaps the organizer might fit on this corner shelving unit. Bingo! It worked and things are much easier to access.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry about your niece Jean.

Our home insurance policy went up quite a bit when we got the bill last April LindaR. It was so high that I shopped around at different companies, and I also called our agent. The other policies were no less expensive, and the agent said that prices were going up all over. Guess you can't argue with them, but it was very upsetting to me.

Interesting about buying petites now Jean. I am usually a petite, but not always. I find that some petite pants are too short in the rise for me, so I end up shortening the regular length pants instead. I also find that pedal pushers and capris are quite long enough for me (cover my knees), so I don't buy crops.