Esteemed Contributor

Do you buy the same type of clothes over and over again?

Although I always intend to buy new styles, I always seem to buy the same thing---pretty much every year. In my case, that tends to be blazers, trousers, pumps---all usually in black, navy, and gray. Sometimes I get wild and buy burgundy or wine colored clothes. Anybody else have the same crazy habit?
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you buy the same type of clothes over and over again?

It's not TOO crazy. Why not add a ""pop"" with some funky accessories or a different color in your shoe/handbag?

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/27/2014 lolakimono said:

It's not TOO crazy. Wink Why not add a "pop" with some funky accessories or a different color in your shoe/handbag?

I'm just not a "pop of color" kind of person, I guess. I once bought a bright pink Brahmin handbag and never once carried it. LOL
Regular Contributor

On 7/27/2014 Goldengate8361 said: Although I always intend to buy new styles, I always seem to buy the same thing---pretty much every year. In my case, that tends to be blazers, trousers, pumps---all usually in black, navy, and gray. Sometimes I get wild and buy burgundy or wine colored clothes. Anybody else have the same crazy habit?

Sounds like me come Fall/Winter....adds boots and moccocins, though....Summer is shorts, swimwear, tees and Havianas/Okabashis, along with, as they say....pops of color....yes, I am pretty true to the same.

Super Contributor

Yes - I have ""uniforms"" - basics that I wear as foundation pieces and take off from there.

And - a basic color palette so that everything I buy coordinates.

Respected Contributor

I have some favorite styles that I buy over and over, because I love them and they're flattering to my figure.

I also have favorite colors that I know I'll look my best in. It's a pretty broad range.

I don't see this as dull. It's just that I've learned from experience and apply this knowledge.

I actually think I have a varied wardrobe. But I remember the mistakes and try not to repeat them.

Honored Contributor

I gravitate toward the same type of tops and same colors! I guess they must be ones I feel most comfortable in. I try to step out of the box and then afterwards I usually don't wear the stuff much. Best to stick with tried and true! At least for me!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I never buy the same things over and over. I'm always on the search to step out of the box! Same with my hair. I am always changing my look. I can't stand seeing lifelong friends that still wear the same hairstyle and wear the same ugly clothes.

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

On 7/27/2014 Goldengate8361 said:
On 7/27/2014 lolakimono said:

It's not TOO crazy. Wink Why not add a "pop" with some funky accessories or a different color in your shoe/handbag?

I'm just not a "pop of color" kind of person, I guess. I once bought a bright pink Brahmin handbag and never once carried it. LOL

Me either. I like a classic, simple palette of solid, neutral colors. I don't like patterns, florals, prints, though I do have a few checks such as Prince of Wales, some tweeds, and a few pieces of houndstooth.

I too would sub out pumps for boots and a few pairs of slingback.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Respected Contributor

I think there are many of us who operate in the same manner, no matter what our personal style.

My palette is black, charcoal gray, dark brown, navy, with occasional pieces in dark green or aubergine. I have a few jewel toned sweaters purchased last summer and this spring from Talbots and Linea. But I'm even more boring than that.

The overwhelming majority of my closet is sheath dresses, sweater knit dresses, pencil skirts, and coordinating sweaters. I think I have only six labels in my closet.

My handbags and shoes are dark colors with one exception. I went waaaay out on a limb this summer and purchased the GILI Roma tote in ostrich and a pair of Gentle Souls almond toe platform two-piece pumps that coordinate.

The only thing that catches my eye anymore is a new sweater or new piece of leather. I found the trends of the past few years to be totally boring and unattractive, and I hate synthetic fibers. So that eliminates most of what is out there as a possible purchase for me. That's OK, though. If I buy anything this fall it will be one or possibly two high quality pieces. I think many would find their lives simplified and their wallets fatter with a "fewer better things" mantra, but I know it's hard to get your head and your closet to that point.