Trusted Contributor

Is QVC trying to save money by having their own brands? Ex-Emma and Sophia, Tula?

I was watching Carolyn the other day and she was showing a handbag by Emma and Sophia, who I never heard of. Well, she said that this was a new brand designed and produced by QVC for QVC. I also heard this about a new skincare brand Tula that it was a brand just made for QVC. I know that Denim and Co. has been a QVC made brand for many years, but I wonder if QVC is starting to try to save money by bypassing outside vendors by making their own QVC brands?

I am seeing this in their jewelry lines as well. I would not be surprised if they come out with their own QVC makeup collection. I have no problem with this I am just making an observation. I would like to hear all of your opinions please. I do not know much about QVC as a business or how it is doing, but I am a loyal viewer and buyer.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Is QVC trying to save money by having their own brands? Ex-Emma and Sophia, Tula?

I think if this were true, their profit margin would go through the roof. Smart move. If the viewers buy into it. If they don't and start voicing their displeasure with reduced sales, well, who knows. Maybe they figure they can make do with diminished sales with a larger margin.

Honored Contributor

Re: Is QVC trying to save money by having their own brands? Ex-Emma and Sophia, Tula?

Isn't the G.I.L.I. an in-house brand? And the Bronzo Italia? Diamonique? And I'm sure there's a cookware line that I'm not recognizing, but in-house branding has been going on for some time. Even HSN does it. Like previous poster^^^...smart move...very smart move.

Respected Contributor

No question that QVC owns the Susan Graver "brand", an I'm beginning to wonder about the Logo brand also. If you look through their last few months, there is a decided pattern here. And there's D&C and Diamonique. Not sure about Bronzo.

I noticed lately that the better designers - Louis, Bob and George - are all being shown in the wee small hours of the morning, while SG and LOGO seem to occupy the top viewing hours. Then we have GILI. Doesn't seem that they're into having their own shoes, but then I don't watch shoe shows since my size varies with the brands and I'm tired of getting the wrong size.

I also expect that a makeup brand will be forthcoming. There are linens that they say are exclusive to them, i.e. Northern Nights. And then there are items like David's cookbooks. BTW, I have both of Mary Beth's cookbooks that came out a few years ago. They are very good - basic family choices without the need for "special" ingredients that are hard to find.

I hate to see any company go overboard with their own brands - it's not always a good way to stay on top.

Trusted Contributor

On 7/27/2014 sidsmom said:

Isn't the G.I.L.I. an in-house brand? And the Bronzo Italia? Diamonique? And I'm sure there's a cookware line that I'm not recognizing, but in-house branding has been going on for some time. Even HSN does it. Like previous poster^^^...smart move...very smart move.

Excellent post, sidsmom. This is nothing new, and most the big-name retailers do it.

Respected Contributor

I think they probaby make more money on their own brands, abd that's resulted in much less variety and selection. It applies across many categories....fashion, jewelry, cookware, etc.. I rhink that's why the same stuff is presented over and over. I miss the old days when there were more brand options.
Trusted Contributor

Are they investing in their own brands because they are not financially doing as well? Or are they moving away from the risk of working with other vendors? I forgot about GILI! I meant to add that. I know that they have had their own brands for some time, as other posters stated, but I feel that it is becoming much more prevalent now and I am wondering what is causing this change. Just curious myself that's all.

Super Contributor

Most retailers have ""house brands"" ... like the grocery store generics.

I can't see that it's an issue.

Honored Contributor

dperry: All this in-house branding is a slippery slope. If they begin squeezing out popular brands, the customer returning from a shopping hiatus might not recognize anything that is presented. That's why in-house marketing is @ a gradient. The key is to hook the customer with a national name brand...something like Bare Escentuals, WEN, Dooney...then begin edging them out with a Q equivalent product. And this takes time....lots of time, to gain the customers trust & loyalty with a Q equivalent brand. The downside is...if the in-house brand begins to financially falter, it's hard to gain the loyalty of the customer back...no matter HOW well known the product is. It's a gamble....the stakes are high, but so too are the profits!

Respected Contributor

On 7/27/2014 Kathleen said:

Most retailers have ""house brands"" ... like the grocery store generics.

I can't see that it's an issue.

I was just thinking the same thing. Don't most retailers do this? Sounds smart to me. I've shopped off and on with QVC for years and I thought they have always operated this way.