Valued Contributor

How much would you pay for a wedding dress?

I watch Say Yes to the Dress and I am asounded by the price of wedding dresses these days. When I think to myself that the girls that only want to spend up to $3000 are the losers, I come to my senses and think OMG that much money for one day of wear!!! I was married in 1975 in a park in a Gunne Sak $50.00 dress and my marriage has lasted almost 40 years now. What do you think???

Respected Contributor

Re: How much would you pay for a wedding dress?

It would depend on the venue and type of wedding. If I'm going to have a fancy/expensive wedding and reception then spending a couple of thousand on the dress is no big deal.

Honored Contributor

Can I stay single and spend the money on smething else? lol...

I would not spend a lot. A great dress doesn't happen just because one pays a lot.

I figure people spend what they want to. It does not matter to me what others spend.

Honored Contributor

I got married in 1990 and my dress was under $500.00. It was exactly what I wanted and just so happened to be on clearance in a boutique store in our area.

I'm not sure what I would spend on a dress now for a first marriage. I probably wouldn't go the traditional wedding gown route. If I got married a second time, I definitely wouldn't go with a traditional wedding gown.

Trusted Contributor

Somebody tell me why brides do not want to rent dresses as the grooms rent tuxedos?

Honored Contributor

I think mine was $650 or so. My veil was $120 or so. I can't even remember for sure. I'd probably pay $1500 if I was getting married now.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

Gunne Sak: loved those dresses! In this day and age, I'd have a small-ish garden (local, close to home) wedding, wearing a very 'Gunne-Sak' type of cotton/embroidered/lace dress. Longer sleeves, very romantic. Very 'country' in theme. Also, it would be an afternoon cake/coffee/champagne/punch type of reception. With plenty of plates of donuts, cookies, cupcakes, pastries. Nice background music. That's 'just me' thinking out loud right now.........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I spent $300 in 1979. If I were gettng married for the first time and having the same type of formal wedding I had then I would probably expect to pay $1,000-$1,200 for a dress. Our reception cost about $25/per person for a sit down dinner but now I think it would be at least $125-$150 per person.

Deanie, you're right. I remember thinking back then I wanted to rent a dress but 35 years ago that wasn't really an option. I wonder why it hasn't become more popular. If it's the sentimental value, I'm pretty sure most wedding dresses wind up in a closet and are forgotten.

Super Contributor

I think your income would reflect the cost.
Trusted Contributor

I was married in 1986 when I was 27, and I think I paid about $650.00 for the dress and veil.

Twenty years later I divorced him, so now I'm out the $650.00. {#emotions_dlg.crying}{#emotions_dlg.laugh}