Honored Contributor

How do I get the chlorine smell out of my swimwear - some what ot

I have been swimming a lot this Summer and I just can not seem to get that ickly chlorine smell out of my bathing suits, I toss them in the machine in a net bag, I use two washing pods and white vinegar and air dry and yet there is lingering smell.

Not sure what else I can or should do I know I am being picky but I find this annoying

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: How do I get the chlorine smell out of my swimwear - some what ot

OXOX,

Here is an answer from Real Simple, FWIW.

Q. What’s the best way to wash a swimsuit after swimming in chlorinated water?

A. While a dip in the pool on a hot summer’s day is refreshing, the chemical smell that’s sometimes left behind isn’t. To get rid of the odor and to help your suit last longer, follow these simple steps, courtesy of swimwear expert and Canyon Beachwear store manager Ilene Sofferman.

Always hand-wash your suit as soon as you can after swimming. This prevents smelly bacteria and chemicals from making themselves at home in the fibers.

Use a lingerie cleaner that is formulated to gently yet thoroughly clean delicate pieces. But when the chlorine smell is overbearing, Sofferman recommends using a swimsuit cleaner like Canyon Beachwear Swimwear Cleanser ($7, canyonbeachwear.com). These solutions are designed to remove chlorine while restoring the brilliance of a suit’s color.

Pour one capful of cleaner into a sink filled with cold water (never warm or hot), then add the swimsuit. Swish it around for about three minutes. Depending on the level of odor, you can leave the suit to soak in the solution for a few minutes more.

After cleaning, rinse the suit and roll?don’t wring?the excess water out with a towel.

Lay the suit flat to air-dry.

?Elinor Smith

Esteemed Contributor

I always put my suits in the washer on cold water Gentle (hand wash) wash with just a drop of detergent. I have had no problems.

Respected Contributor

If you do a lot of swimming, I think it's worth investing in a swimsuit cleaner. There are a lot of brands. I know Speedo makes one and there are other brands. You can also order swimsuit cleaner online. Also, swimsuit shops carry them. And some sporting goods stores carry them.

These cleaners are formulated to remove chlorine without dulling the color of the swimsuit or damaging the fabric. I've used them.

If I don't have a special cleaner, I wash my swimsuit in cold water with Ivory Liquid. I don't use the washing machine. I put the swimsuit in the sink with Ivory and water; swish around a bit; let it sit for a few minutes. Then rinse and roll up in a towel to remove moisture. Hang to dry.

I think it's important to rinse a suit out with plain water as soon as possible. I do that before leaving the dressing area. Then when I get home, I wash the suit.

If there is a lot of chlorine residue, it might be worth investing in a real swimwear cleaner. They only cost about $6 - $10 a bottle, and it lasts a long time.

Even without special cleaner, you might get the chlorine smell out by simply soaking your suit in cold water with a bit of mild detergent; leave it in awhile. I think the soaking might work.

Honored Contributor

Do you wash them as soon as you are done swimming? I don't swim in a chlorinated pool but we have a hot tub that uses bromine. As soon as I get out of the hot tub, I rinse my bathing suit in plain water and let it dry. I don't have that problem then but I'm also not in there everyday.

Honored Contributor

I always rinse my suit out immediately and hang to dry before it makes it to the washing machine.

Honored Contributor

I try to shower off when I get out of the pool, I swim at the town pool and doing more than showering off is not possible, also hand washing is out of the question no place to drip dry the swimwear. I guess I will find the answer one day

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

Of you roll the wet item up in a towel tight and squeeze it, it won't drip. You don't have a shower rod? If you do the towel thing it should make dry pretty quick.
Respected Contributor

I have never heard of putting a swimsuit in the washing machine, until reading it here. I always wash mine out myself and let them hang to dry. Maybe that's why mine seem to last forever!

Honored Contributor

On 7/23/2014 MarthaStewardess said:

I have never heard of putting a swimsuit in the washing machine, until reading it here. I always wash mine out myself and let them hang to dry. Maybe that's why mine seem to last forever!

Hmm so do mine I wash them on gentle in a mesh bag and have no issues with them lasting for years and years