Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, 7/21)

Good morning, shopping friends. We have sunshine; we don't have rain...and the temperatures are beginning to increase. Sometime this week, we may have the first taste of Summer. These below normal temperatures are not my cup of tea for this time of the year but I could handle them for Winter.

I was up at 5am thanks to my feline alarm clock. I did watch some of the morning fashion show, a welcomed return to normality from the CIJ programming. I had no desire to buy so there was nothing to tempt me. In flipping the channels, I landed on HSN when they were presenting a Bissell hand steamer. I had one of these years ago and it worked very well, so I indulged and got one.

I managed to let my 30% off Kohls coupon expire without even looking online or in the store. There will be another time.

I did email the optometrist practice for an appointment as it has been a long time since I have been there. My favorite optometrist died and the practice relocated to a larger location as they were expanding. I think they lost me in the process as I used to get reminders if I didn't make my annual appointment.

Right now, I'm having a mid-morning coffee and snack while watching Criminal Minds. Then I will return to the unrewarding task of tackling the bathroom.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, 7/21)

Jean, thanks for getting things started today. I am glad your rain stopped & your temps. will be more summer like. We will be in the 90's today & tomorrow. Then they say upper 70's-low 80's for the rest of the week. We haven't had had rain for 10 days & it is getting dry again. They do say that we could get rain every day this week.

Like you say, Kohl's will be there another day.

I am glad that CIJ is over, but I did want to watch Lisa's show last night. I only saw the last 1/2 hour. It did look like she had nice things though.

I didn't sleep well last night as I was thinking about my appts. today at the local clinic. I got up earlier than normal so that I could shower & numb my port as that is where they do their lab work on me. Then when I went to oncology for my lab work, I still had to go to the regular lab for my urine specimen. They changed things around again. This afternoon I have followup appts. with my GP & my rheumatologist. This is the part I don't like. Then while looking at the calendar last evening. I realized that I didn't have an appt. for my yearly liver function ultrasound. I stopped at that desk today & I can get in on Friday. That is good as I don't have long to think about it, but now I realized that they didn't give the sheet with the don'ts before the procedure, so I will have to stop & see them again for that.

DH is out walking earlier today as it will be hot & humid before he gets done. I had to fast today so it is definitely caffeine time for & then a light lunch. I told DH that he needs to go with me to my appts. this afternoon. Right I need moral support of any kind!

I will check in later to see what you all are up to.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--Sorry you didn't sleep well last night. When one has medical issues and tests are involved, it is hard not to think of them. I do hope DH goes with you to the appointments. Moral support is always needed. I didn't see Lisa's contribution to CIJ. I think I was watching "Last Ship" and "Falling Skies."

They say if something hasn't been used for a year, then it should be donated, etc. I'm still working on that and not too successfully; it is hard for me to part with things at times.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Jean I'm glad you are getting some weather that you can enjoy. I often have a hard time finding something to buy at Kohl's. I had the 30% coupon and a credit, and have been needing a new pillow so I ordered a couple. I hope I like them, another thing I am so very picky with.

Twinny only the last few years I don't sleep well anymore if I have a big day the next day - travel or DH's surgery - makes for an awful event. I hope you get some sleep or a good nap in. It is very hot and humid here and I have gone to wearing very little makeup anymore and wearing cotton spaghetti strap tops to work - something I've never done before. Not professional at all but I just can't bear much more. I actually wore my purple cotton pajama top to work last week one day. I don't think anyone noticed but I stayed out of the main office.

My alarm woke me at 5 and I cut it off - 5 minutes later it went off again only for me to realize an hour had passed! DH is doing great but did decide to take a few more days off. Thank goodness! He is going longer without meds and feeling better, walking a lot too. I'm very glad this is behind us.

The new swimsuit has not won. I have 2 that I was looking at and couldn't decide and finally closed the window. I actually bought a purple skirted one and wore it for DH yesterday and he LOVES it.

This weekend both my girls are coming up Thursday and we will all go to Six Flags together. Saturday morning I want to do pedicures then walk around the flea market. I'm really looking forward to our time together, and thinking I will save my money for that.

Esteemed Contributor

RC, I actually haven't slept well for the last 13 years. That is why I like a nap whenever I can work it into my schedule. Whenever we are going on vacation., I never can sleep the night before.

I bought a new swimsuit last summer at JCP. It is two piece (not a bikini either). My DH told me that was the cutest swimsuit he had seen on me. This year I did buy a nice one piece at JCP. It is black background with purple flowers. It was $80 & with the 1/2 price sale & my $10 coupon I got it for $30. If I see either of them cheap at the end of the season I will indulge again. The two piece one I got last year was $5.25 per piece.

I am glad that your DH is feeling better too. Your high temps would kill me. I would be in a swimsuit all day or less around the house.

Have fun with the girls this weekend. I think DH & I are getting out two DGS's starting on Friday & probably take them home on Sunday. Their younger sister has soccer tournaments in the Chicago area & they want to come here. We don't get them often for a sleep over, so it will be fun. The oldest DGS is at a soccer camp this week. They all three play soccer & it seems like they are all heading in different directions.

Regular Contributor

Hi Ladies!!! Jean - I love my handheld steamer. I have the Joy Mangano one...hope your new one is a winner for you. Ugh, bathrooms, a thankless job, for sure.

Twinny - praying for good results for you...hang in there. I had wanted to catch Lisa's show, but couldn't stay awake.

Kathleen - sounds like a fun weekend ahead!!! I am a big mani/pedi fan. This time of year, I go to the salon every 2 weeks. Glad DH is feeling better.

Sonya - prayers to your friends...so sorry for their loss.

I am back at work after a few days off, and my desk is screaming. I started with a terrible virus and then ended up with an upper respiratory, bacterial infection, which landed me in bed for 5 days. I am still on medication and not feeling great, but I am much, much better than I was. The doctor told me to expect it to take some time before I feel 100% and not to push it, so I'm going to try working half days for now.

That said...I better get a few more things done and off my desk. Enjoy!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning! Thanks for getting us started Jean. Hope you like your new steamer. I didn't catch Lisa's show, but I see that some people really enjoyed it. Probably a good thing that I missed the show since I might have been tempted to buy some Christmas stuff that I don't need for sure.

I'm praying that all your tests/procedures go well twinny. I often have the problem of not being able to sleep before a trip, medical procedure, etc., but it sounds like you have much more of a problem. Cyber hugs are coming your way.

Glad your DH is taking some time off Kathleen. Hope you have a good time with your girls this weekend. I don't wear a swimsuit unless I'm swimming since they don't feel all that cool on me -- maybe the fabric? I do wear skimpy outfits -- shorts and a tank top are my standard house outfit these days.

Wow Karen -- so sorry you have been so sick. Do take it easy on yourself. I know how frustrating it is not to be your normal self, but it does take time to recover from illness and accidents.

Waves to Jules, Arlene, Susan, Marijane, LindaR (sorry about the pot luck problems), Rosa, Gina, Gayle, Sonya (sorry about the loss of the little girl in Thailand), Nancy, birdmama, Karen, Val, and all of our posters and readers.

I have physical therapy and Curves this afternoon, but this morning I need to pick up a few things from the store (vitamins, etc., plus produce).

Any suggestions for a potluck -- it is for a ladies' lunch? Need to feed 8-10 people, and no way to keep things hot or cold. I know that LindaR has a lot of experience with potlucks, but I do not.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

I made the best peach cobbler last night!! That is something that doesn't really need to be hot or cold - just the first thing that came to mind I found the recipe here and it was very sweet and delicious. I think you could use any fruit that you wanted. Linda, I know you will find something that everyone will love.

Karen it seems like the whole world stops moving when "the Mom" gets sick like that. I hope you have a productive day at work and get some more rest this week. When I put my mind to it I sure can get a lot of paperwork pushed around. How are all the kids?

Twinny I know you will have fun with the Gkids! I think it's these moments with family that "make the world go around" for me. I know my time with DH has been very meaningful, even if he has been not feeling so well.

Esteemed Contributor

Karen--The steamer I got was one for household use. I had the Joy steamer for clothes, etc. but donated it after a few uses. It just didn't work well for me; it spewed water at times and leaked despite following instructions. I got a travel steamer from one of those luggage companies similar in price to the Joy steamer. and it works great. Do take it easy in recovering from the illness; hopefully, it won't take time.

Kathleen--I think it is a great idea that DH is staying home from work; there is such a thing as doing too much too soon after surgery. I am glad he is feeling better and that he approves of your swim suit.

Linda--I have zero suggestions for the potluck. I do hope your physical therapy goes well as well as your Curves.

I had the Tyson pre-grilled chicken for lunch. 25 minutes in the toaster oven from frozen. Add steamed veggies for a healthy and tasty lunch.

I need to hit up the fitness place this afternoon. I also have to go to the drug store for a medication review. This is something the insurance company requires once a year. The pharmacist has to print off all the prescribed items in the past year. The purpose is to determine compliance, any problems as well as lower cost options where available.

Regular Contributor

LindaL - I am not very experienced with potlucks, but my "go to" is pasta salad. Is your physical therapy helping? Glad to hear your attorney is on top of things for you.

Kathleen - kiddies are all doing well. Youngest DS is back home, heading to graduate school locally. Nice to have 2 out of 3 around. That peach cobbler looks delicious.

Jean - totally misunderstood on the steamer...my brain is still foggy!! I have the Haan model for floors. Honestly, don't use it much and I'm not sure why. Great job with the fitness center!!!

I kept to my plan, so I am home relaxing. Not sure if I can just sit around, but we'll see.