Honored Contributor

Help Me Find a Bra With Real Lift

I wear a large band size, 50, and I have trouble finding a bra that really is uplifting. The most uplifting bras I have found are both sports bras, and they are both heavy stretch fabric. Glamorise No Bounce Wirefree Cami Bra (which fits, but has a cami panel attached to the top of the bra, which shows in some tops, and which is really thick fabric) and Glamorise Sport Wirefree Bra (which, unfortunately only goes up to band size 48, and no longer fits, even with bra extenders). I have also tried Glamorise magic Lift Plus Active Support Bra, which comes in my size, but does not give me uplift. I have tried Bali Flower Bra-no help with lift. Playtex 18 Hour Original Comfort Strap Wirefree Bra-some uplift. Glamorise Magic Lift Back-Close Wirefree-some lift. These are just a few of so many tries. My ribs are wide right at the banding. When I wore a 48, I was able to try more styles, but I still didn't get the uplift I would like. I get many specialty bra catalogs, Just My Size, Romans, Woman Within, Jessica London, One Stop Plus. I have tried Lane Bryant and The Avenue. Victoria's Secret and Norstroms don't carry my size. Anyone out there who has tried a very uplifting bra with a 50 band size? I keep ordering, only to be disappointed. My expectations are not out of touch with reality-I just want enough lift that I can wear my clothes and look OK.

Honored Contributor

Re: Help Me Find a Bra With Real Lift

Have you been for a bra fitting lately?

Trusted Contributor

You didn't state your cup size, but if it is commensurate with your large band size, your bra needs to be a real workhorse! (Please don't take that as a mean comment; although smaller than you, I am a large-busted plus size woman, so I'm familiar with bra travails and fit and support challenges!) Finding a bra that fits, flatters, and works for us is always a challenge and a cause for celebration when we achieve success!

Have you tried minimizer bras? I like a bra that minimizes bust projection somewhat -- it gives better control; the more subdued profile looks much better under clothes, and there's less tendency to sag since everything is held in snug and tight. One I've tried and liked very much is the surprisingly supportive Just My Size Comfort Strap Lace Wirefree Minimizer bra. Relatively inexpensive, quite sturdy and supportive, comfortable with wide cami straps and no wire, and available in a 50" band size.

JMS Comfort Strap® Lace Wirefree Minimizer Bra!

If you like an underwire (I personally find them uncomfortable), the Bali Satin Tracings Underwire Minimizer is the best and most supportive I've tried. It isn't available in a 50 band size many places, but BareNecessities.com carries it in that band size.

Bali Satin Tracings® Minimizer Bra

Good luck! You might find it most helpful to go in to a specialty store and try on bras in person and perhaps have a fitter help you.

Honored Contributor

you may want look at hanesplace.com

The L'eggs/bali outlet stores also carry a wide range of sizes

I don't wear your size, bur I wear the Bali Satin Tracings bra and order them when on sale from Hanesplace . I know they have a wide size range and several brands. In my experience, sports bras have had the least amount of support so I would look for regular bras. Do you have a bra currently that you like? you might want to search on Amazon by size. I know its best to try on before you buy, but ordering whatever you can find in your size might be a good place to start. Can you trim away the cami fabric from the bra you like?

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/19/2014 GoodStuff said:

You didn't state your cup size, but if it is commensurate with your large band size, your bra needs to be a real workhorse! (Please don't take that as a mean comment; although smaller than you, I am a large-busted plus size woman, so I'm familiar with bra travails and fit and support challenges!)

Have you tried minimizer bras? I like a bra that minimizes bust projection somewhat -- it gives better control; the more subdued profile looks much better under clothes, and there's less tendency to sag since everything is held in snug and tight. One I've tried and liked very much is the surprisingly supportive Just My Size Comfort Strap Lace Wirefree Minimizer bra. Relatively inexpensive, quite sturdy and supportive, comfortable with wide cami straps and no wire, and available in a 50" band size.

JMS Comfort Strap® Lace Wirefree Minimizer Bra!

If you like an underwire (I personally find them uncomfortable), the Bali Satin Tracings Underwire Minimizer is the best and most supportive I've tried. It isn't available in a 50 band size many places, but BareNecessities.com carries it in that band size.

Bali Satin Tracings® Minimizer Bra

Good luck! You might find it most helpful to go in to a specialty store and try on bras in person and perhaps have a fitter help you.

I've been wearing Bali Tracings Minimizer in 38DD for years and I just love it. It really does uplift and minimize.

Trusted Contributor

On 7/19/2014 lovesrecess said:

you may want look at hanesplace.com

The L'eggs/bali outlet stores also carry a wide range of sizes

I don't wear your size, bur I wear the Bali Satin Tracings bra and order them when on sale from Hanesplace . I know they have a wide size range and several brands. In my experience, sports bras have had the least amount of support so I would look for regular bras. Do you have a bra currently that you like? you might want to search on Amazon by size. I know its best to try on before you buy, but ordering whatever you can find in your size might be a good place to start. Can you trim away the cami fabric from the bra you like?

Just FYI, JustMySize.com is the plus size partner of OneHanesPlace. JMS is dedicated to plus size and carries many more plus size items and styles.

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Goodstuff, I have been looking at the Satin Tracings in a 50 band and never saw it? , until your tip. I have been looking at the other bra on your post and was wondering if it was any good. I definitely will be trying the Satin Tracings. I always look at JMS Hanes, never saw size 50, loves recess. Now I have a tip to find it. The Camibra could have the cami trimmed, I suppose. It is just so thick, exceptional support, though. I problem have tried so many brands and styles of bras that Guinness should place me in their world records book.

Honored Contributor

Does the Satin Tracings Bra run small? How is the uplift? The more lift, the better. I am hopeful.

Regular Contributor

Check out herroom.com! They carry bras with band sizes up to 58. (I checked for you {#emotions_dlg.blush}) There is a very thorough questionnaire you can complete to get bra recommendations based on your specific concerns.

I would also recommend a bra fitting at a specialty store, even if you have to travel a bit. I have had two at an Intimacy store, and now work with a privately-owned specialty bra shop in my area. I can wear any number of different band and cup sizes, depending on the brand of the bra, but have been between DD and J in my adult life. The bra struggle is real!

Happy shopping!