Super Contributor

What to wear on job interview in 100 degree weather?

I have an interview for a physics teaching position next week. Here in Houston, the temps are a balmy humid 95+ degrees. Do I wear the standard black dress suit or can I switch it up a bit?
Honored Contributor

Re: What to wear on job interview in 100 degree weather?

Black skirt, short sleeved top, pantihose and flats

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like a pretty conservative environment so black sheath dress, cardigan, bare legs probably okay, really good bag and plain shoes. Adding a bit of color with jewelry would make them remember you without being too over-the-top.

This is what I would wear. Tell us what you eventually choose!

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

I retired from thirty six yrs of teaching three years ago. How to dress for an interview was one area I taught my juniors and seniors. Dress as though you were applying to be a principal and take a leather portfolio with a legal pad which will look professional. Don't be concerned by the weather, they'll have air conditioning.

In many states, the principal as well as the teachers in the department in which you will teach will all be in the interview. How much input the department has depends on the principal. You will have more than one good impression to make.

Super Contributor

Do you have a solid conservative dress with coordinating jacket? Or a nicer cardigan sweater with solid dress.

Honored Contributor

in my profession i always considered anything i would wear to church to be adequate to wear on an interview. For instance a nice summer dress - I don't think a suit is necessary or expected when it is so hot and sticky out. and i don't think pantyhose would be expected either. Just a nice conservative summer dress, and some modest jewelry.

Respected Contributor

You could wear navy. Or buy a suit with short sleeves.

Super Contributor

10 or 15 years ago I interviewed for professional positions in the corporate world so I wore suits, hosiery, polished business-like heels and understated jewelry. It was always stressful dressing up in hot humid weather but I still wore the suit.

I think styles have relaxed a bit, especially in academia. I had a co-worker who interviewed for a University position in IT. She wore a flowery skirt and sweater. And she landed the job.

Valued Contributor

If you're going with a jacket, put it on a hanger and put on just before you go into the building.

Try wearing something that doesn't get messed up when you put on your seatbelt.

LOL DD interviewed for a teaching position (always dresses right for the occasion) and the headmistress (interviewer) was wearing flip flops!

Best Wishes!!!

Super Contributor

I may differ but I would definitely NOT wear black. That would be the very last thing I would wear. It's too somber, funeral-like, and especially not a good look IMO in the sweltering heat. You can look ultra professional in any neutral -- navy, gray, tan. I'd stick with solids in a coordinating suit or dress with jacket, maybe a khaki colored skirt on the dressy side with a navy blazer, white or light blue top,maybe pinstripes, minimal jewelry, pumps or slingbacks. Remember, you only need put the jacket on once inside in the A/c. Good luck!