Esteemed Contributor

Fashion Now or Later Fall Preview. Handbag question.

I just got an email showing Fall fashions. It was full of handbags that were very very expensive. THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE A CRITICISM but only a question. Why do people buy bags THAT EXPENSIVE? How are they different?

Honored Contributor

Re: Fashion Now or Later Fall Preview. Handbag question.

I think handbags are like shoes. Some people have many, low to mid price options and rotate them often. Others have a few high quality (price) pairs (or handbags) and wear those often (until they die).

Super Contributor

Just personal choice how to spend their money. I'd never buy an expensive handbag - but I do buy books that cost that much and more.

Priorities ...

Super Contributor

Just like InStyle magazine. More glamorous to show the expensive examples. It's Wishcraft. Would I wish for a Fossil purse? Or a Louis Vuitton?

Honored Contributor

As Kathleen said, it's just a matter of personal choice. I buy somewhat more expensive purses, but would never, ever, ever pay the money for the Vitamax or a Dyson or a Kitchen Aid or something to clean my hair. It's just a matter of choice.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

There are many things I would not pay the QVC prices for - purses over $100 are on that list as well as vitamix, Wen and a lot of the makeup and skincare. But to each their own, I have been attacked on this BB many times for inferring that some of the people here should consider trying to live within a budget and put more savings aside. IMO - and my experience people who spend too much money on "wants" instead of needs learn the consequences of that decision the hard way. I have actually been told here that I have to be really ugly because I don't buy the uber pricey makeup and skin care from the Q.

Honored Contributor

On 7/13/2014 happy housewife said:

There are many things I would not pay the QVC prices for - purses over $100 are on that list as well as vitamix, Wen and a lot of the makeup and skincare. But to each their own, I have been attacked on this BB many times for inferring that some of the people here should consider trying to live within a budget and put more savings aside. IMO - and my experience people who spend too much money on "wants" instead of needs learn the consequences of that decision the hard way.

In total agreement with you. It really is a case of to each his own, but those who live within their means, and put money aside, will be better off in the long run.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, I am not a overspending kind of gal either. I do like electronics but I have enough to play with. I was just wondering if the more expensive handbags were better in some way. I buy my cosmetics in a drug store as well as my hair products. I have never tried Wen and I have a simple vacuum cleaner. It does not stop me from being curious. Perhaps more expensive is better but I have no clue the difference.

Trusted Contributor

Th difference between expensive bags and inexpensive can vary. Sometimes you are paying for higher quality materials and craftsmanship. Sometimes it's a label. It really boils down to preference and budget. For instance, the Oryany or Dooney bags are made from better quality leather and have nicer linings than a Tiganello bag that has some leather and some vinyl. You can find attractive styles in any price range. A higher quality bag may hold up better. It just depends on what is important to you. My husband likes vintage high end wind up watches. They are very elegant and exquisitely made. I prefer a $30 watch for everyday, so when I scratch the face, it doesn't matter so much. To each his own.

Honored Contributor

On 7/13/2014 happy housewife said:

There are many things I would not pay the QVC prices for - purses over $100 are on that list as well as vitamix, Wen and a lot of the makeup and skincare. But to each their own, I have been attacked on this BB many times for inferring that some of the people here should consider trying to live within a budget and put more savings aside. IMO - and my experience people who spend too much money on "wants" instead of needs learn the consequences of that decision the hard way. I have actually been told here that I have to be really ugly because I don't buy the uber pricey makeup and skin care from the Q.

You have been criticized for ASSUMING that people can't afford the things you wouldn't buy and criticizing them harshly for overspending when you don't know what their financial situation is. You have been ugly to some.