Regular Contributor

Question regarding shrinking a sweater

I purchased what I would classify as a very thin sweater, with a hood. It is made of 22% Rayon and 78% Polyester. It states on the care tag, hand wash in cold and lie flat to dry. It is a tad too large. I was wondering if any of you knew if it would shrink if I put it in the dryer.

I would do it with great care, checking it often, I just don't know if it would be possible with the fabric blend I mentioned!

Thanks for checking this post out, take care and enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Honored Contributor

Re: Question regarding shrinking a sweater

I don't think it will shrink. Putting it in the dryer would probably just cause it to pill.

Super Contributor

I don't think it will shrink either. I think I'd just return it, and get the smaller size that fits you better.

Rayon is a fabric that can shrink and stretch out of shape, but the higher content poly won't shrink at all, or not much anyway.

I wouldn't think that you may want to wear it anyway if you did shrink it, because you can't control where you shrink it or how it might change the line and look of the sweater.

Just return it and get the size that fits you best. I think that's your best option. Good luck!

Super Contributor

The only fiber that shrinks is wool and then you can shrink it too much, have to do it just right. Synthetic fibers are preshrunk and stay that way. I dont think the rayon shrinks like wool and you have poly in there so I dont think it will work. How big is it? I have taken sides in on sweaters by hand with success if I took in a inch or less on each side. The issue is the sleeves, if they droop, there is nothing you can really do for a sweater. Even for a blouse, it is a pain to take the sleeve off to adjust and then sew back on.

Honored Contributor

I suggest to wash and line dry, then sew the sides in to fit. That way you control the size exactly. If you don't have a machine, most dry cleaners send out or do alterations.