Respected Contributor

Is it better to return/repurchase or exchange?

Sorry for another fashion returns question.

I bought a top, don't like the color. Want to exchange it for another. Is there any advantage to doing an exchange instead of returning it and then rebuying it regarding shipping costs?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Is it better to return/repurchase or exchange?

You will still have to pay return shipping & shipping for the new purchase. Only get free shipping if wrong item rec'd or it is broken/damaged.

Esteemed Contributor

My opinion with QVC is that it is better to return the item you want to exchange outright for a refund and place a new order for the different size, color etc. In the nearly 25 years I've shopped with QVC their system just seems to work better when items are dealt with independently. Doing it this way doesn't effect the amount of your refund or what you end up spending. Unlike some merchants who ship exchanges for free, QVC does charge you a second time for shipping a new order if you want to change color or size.

They only waive the exchange s&h if they are at fault for you getting the wrong color or size. For example an entire order consisting of three pieces which I ordered recently was incorrect. They offered to take back the return (with no penalty for me using the easy returns label to ship back the incorrect items), and no additional shipping costs for sending the correct items if they got my size back in stock.

Respected Contributor

Thank you ladies! I will just return the item and re-order.

Valued Contributor

I have attempted to exchange items several times and they always ignore that on my packing slip and refund my money anyway. I have never been successful at exchanging anything at QVC. And I do know the item I wanted was available. At least it appeared to be online.

Esteemed Contributor

I would just add that if you purchased a TSV at the special price, or a one-time-only, if you just re-order on your own you will most likely pay a higher price. In a case like that, I call Customer Service to place my new order and tell them I want to exchange it, but don't want to wait until they receive the original back because it might sell out in the meantime. They're usually very good about doing your new order at the original price, and they tell you to make sure you get the other one in the mail within 10 days of receiving the new one.

Esteemed Contributor

If I want to exchange an item I'll call cs and they'll note my account. The exchange works out fine then- otherwise the returns area rarely gets it right. I think an exchange might not impact your returns ratio- others might know better.

Respected Contributor

I am wondering how these methods affect your "too many returns" ratio. Ilf you return one and reorder, you've got a return there. If you exchange, do they count it as a return? For all the people who've received their "letter", like my 87 year old neighbor, this means a lot. She can't really go shopping in the B&M stores anymore, and being able to shop online is of major importance to her.

So how does QVC figure this - a return or an exchange? Anyone know?

Super Contributor

I just sent in an exchange and it is marked as a return and the new size as shipped.
Regular Contributor

Never exchange a damaged item. You might just get the same item back! I always repurchase the damaged item before I send it back to ensure I am definitely getting a new item.