Contributor

O/T - best life alert system

I would really appreciate input from QVCers who have knowledge of life alert systems. I'm looking for one for my 80+ year-old mother who will be very reluctant to wear one. Any advice on cost, service, etc. will be much appreciated! Thanks!
Contributor

Re: O/T - best life alert system

I have a friend who is in the elder care service industry. She recommended Vital Link, a company that may or may not be in your area. Things like no contract, reasonable cost, etc. were some of the things she brought up. Cannot remember all the stuff right now but just a suggestion or lead for you.

Honored Contributor

I got one for my mother called Medical Alert. I chose this one because rather than automatically call the police or rescue when the button is pressed, it asks the person who they would like to contact.

However, my mother packed it up and sent it back. Wanted nothing to do with a "button."

So much for that.{#emotions_dlg.blink}

Contributor

Thanks, devalen and faeriemoon!
Honored Contributor

Anyone who has indoor stairs should probably have one. I'm thinking that the age of the person really doesn't matter.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't be caught dead wearing one of those things. Probably WILL be "found dead" without one, though (!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

I don't recommend the company that my mother used, but IT SAVED HER LIFE. She lived alone until she was 94 (I couldn't get her to leave her house or get help) and she fell and broke her hip in her kitchen. She couldn't get up so she pressed the alert button and the police and firemen came to her house, jimmied open her window and took her to the hospital. She was in excruciating pain and I hate to think what would have happened if she hadn't had this service. She had a partial hip replacement and is doing GREAT, and I FINALLY got her into an assisted living facility. She is almost 96 now. THESE DEVICES SAVE LIVES!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Be sure to check the local connections and policies before you commit. My dear ones did a LOT of research before they selected theirs, and there were big differences in services and costs, even when the equipment offerings were basically the same.
Honored Contributor

They have to re-market these things to make them more appealing to those that really need them. Right now they just scream "I'm old and helpless." I live in the woods with two stairways, no near neighbors that would even hear me yell. As long as DH is still around, I don't need one. But we've already talked about getting one if I lose him.

Super Contributor

I agree, depglass. Anyone who lives alone or in a remote area should consider one of these devices regardless of their age.

And, turtle52, your mom sounds great! So feisty and independent at her age. God Bless Her!