Super Contributor

Do you buy/wear clothes to get complements?

The hosts and vendors always ask this question of callers....I just think that is a silly reason to buy something. I usually buy something because I LIKE IT. Not for someone else to.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you buy/wear clothes to get complements?

I buy my clothes because I like them. No other reason.

Super Contributor

I agree. I wear what feels right and looks good in my opinion. How I dress is who I am. Compliments or not won't change that.

Honored Contributor

I just wear what I like....

Trusted Contributor

Ditto. I buy things because I like them and because I think they fit and flatter my figure. Compliments are a nice bonus, though!

Respected Contributor

I also buy to suit myself, based on comfort, fit and whether they are age appropriate.

I do have to wonder about that silly question about compliments. Who among us would want to say on the air, "No, nobody gives me any compliments!" Or "No, I've never received a compliment." Really, do the hosts expect them to say anything but yes?

Respected Contributor

I also make my purchases based on what I would like to wear. Compliments I do get validate my selections.

Esteemed Contributor

I just wanna be me ... (is that the name of a song or something?)

Respected Contributor

I buy what I like, compliments are a bonus and make me think " good purchase" I love it,it's comfortable and others like it.

Honored Contributor

Of course I buy because of what others think. I don't want them to think I am an old fool, an old hippie, or a floozie. I dress like a respectable, intelligent, well raised and well groomed person. I want people to think that when they run into me, and my clothes and grooming are what send that message. I send the message my mother wouldn't be ashamed of me. So yes, of course I dress for appearance.