Super Contributor

OVER 40-- What do YOU wear for CASUAL wear in the summer heat?

{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}{#emotions_dlg.confused1}Another thread and the comments made me think......if you don't like capris and cropped pants, what do you wear when it's HOT in the summer?

I know the young gals can wear just about anything, but women over 40 --what do you wear when it's hot?

I can't imagine what ladies wear, if they hate capris and crops, and don't wear shorts, then what the heck is left other than skirts and dresses? Are there really women who walk around in 100 degree weather, wearing jeans and long pants? I'm not talking about slacks for work, I'm talking about CASUAL wear.

I am a 10-12, tall and 50-ish and I wear capris, pedal pushers, cropped pants and cute linen/beachy pants when I can find them. I also wear skirts and dresses and maxis a lot in the summer. I don't like shorts, but I do have some and wear them for certain events.

I notice a LOT of women complaining about capris and cropped pants, every year. I just wonder what women wear that do not like these type of pants.

Half my closet is pedal pushers, capris and cropped pants and I can't imagine being able to dress myself in the hot summer weather without them.

Super Contributor

Re: OVER 40-- What do YOU wear for CASUAL wear in the summer heat?

Skirts and dresses. I do own capris, linen pants and white jeans, but as soon as it gets hot, I don't want to wear anything on my legs. I do wear shorts, for really casual, but mostly I reach for skirts and dresses.

Honored Contributor

hot weather......and it is HOT today!......usually a dress (maxi or regular) OR capris/pedal pushers with a camisole and a lightweight topper or rayon/spandex oversized top. it helps me look put together, yet remain cool if i have to be outside. otherwise, i am in the A/C. i cannot stand the humidity.

i have a capri pant/pedal pusher problem though.....lots of colors and multiples in black and white.....i can never seem to have enough. once they start looking worn i use them for around the house wear and buy new ones.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

For those who live in SE Louisiana, shorts and tees are about the only answer. If I am going somewhere like a restaurant for lunch I put on a tee shirt dress (love some of Bob Mackie's) or capri prints and a tee. It's too hot here to care what anyone is wearing,much less dress for a casual day at home.

Valued Contributor

My goodness the age 40 seems a little young to be worrying about what to wear. Wear whatever makes you feel good, comfortable and appropriate. You go girls!
Honored Contributor

I'm over 50 and walk around in the heat & humidity of Florida wearing jeans - lightweight ones - all the time. I do not wear capris at all. I don't care for the look, especially in public.

It is just a personal preference; there are lots jeans & slacks made from lightweight fabrics that are nice for hot weather.

Honored Contributor

We live in a retirement community in florida and , yes, some women do wear long pants all summer long. For the vast majority it is capris and pedal pushers but some still wear the long pants. I save my maxi dresses for dressier wear - ie : out to dinner or church, something where I don't want to be totally casual. Last week i went to a retirement party at a hotel - i wore a maxi length t shirt dress - there were women there in capris and tank tops which I felt was inappropriately casual.

edited to add ; I do have some capris that are dressier fabrics that I sometimes wear to church or out for an evening with a nicer top.

Honored Contributor

Doesn't Stylish lady say she wears leather all summer long in florida?

Honored Contributor

Tanks and shorts...........I am in a resort city that is very casual.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

I live in a very hot area of the country.

Most women here dress for the weather. Capris, crops, pedal pushers and Bermuda shorts and skirts or summer dresses are the norm.

It is a casual lifestyle so Capris and dressy shorts with a nice top are not too casual for most restaurants. My uniform for going out is usually nice shorts and a sleeveless top with nice wedge sandals. I take a lightweight shrug or sweater if I'm going to a chilly restaurant.