Esteemed Contributor

Came across article about what not to buy at .....

I came across an article about what not to buy at stores like Costco. One of the listed... NONOs was clothing. It was stated that Costco bought clothing that was second hand quality and it would not last.

I have not found this to be true. While they don't have a large quantity and if it sells out it is a long time coming back if at all, I have had good luck with everything I buy from them at a really great price.

I am short and Costco is the ONLY place I can get jeans to fit. And believe me I cannot wear them out.

My husbands shirts wear well. My tops and sweater wear well. And I buy sport shoes and hubby is pleased at not having to pay under fifty dollars for any pair.

I am hoping for some comments from warehouse buyers.

Respected Contributor

Re: Came across article about what not to buy at .....

Sorry, that's not true. Costco has lots of great clothes. I have come across a lot of "what not to buy at Costco" articles, and I always totally disagree with at least half the list.

I just ordered 2 yoga jackets and workout pants. Their workout clothes are fabulous. I swear it looks just like lululemon's stuff.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

Costco has great clothing. I have a bunch of workout clothes and they wear like iron.

Honored Contributor

I've gotten a lot of clothes from Costco and so has my husband.

He swears by their athletic socks. My dad wears white Kirkland undershirts and they are better than ""name brand"" ones by far.

Respected Contributor

Did you fine that article on the internet? My experience with the internet is that all of these pseudo-news sites have to fill space and they have writers who seem to do nothing but write up endless lists of what's good, what's bad, what you should do, what you should never do and I can't find any real fact or substance to them! All I can figure is that it is nothing but personal preferences made to sound more important and informed than they are.

There was a make-up do's and don'ts list the other day that just cracked me up. The first entry was saying to never use a brush to apply foundation because the brush actually sluffs off dead skin and who wants dead skin cells mixed in with their foundation. About three entries later, it was advising not to apply foundation with your fingers because you can't get even coverage and you should use a brush or sponge!

I don't have a Costco close to me (yet....one is due to open in less than a year!!!), but I do have a Sam's club. I've bought some great sports attire items for myself and my family that have fit beautifully and worn well.

Esteemed Contributor

Yep, someone who writes these article must be jealous. Costco is tops in my book. I have gotten all kinds of clothing that I didn't bother to list and I cannot wear them out.

Last year they had cover up like skirts with elastic tops that were supposed to go over bathing suits. Well I rather made a change in purpose. I am five feet tall and I wear these with a nice top, sometimes tucked with a fancy belt and sometimes untucked. I must have paid less than $15 for each one. I have them in 4 different colors and never fail to have someone stop me and ask where I got THAT skirt.

Being a Walmart Kind of Gal{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} ( I live in the country, very few stores come here) I was wondering if I WAS MISSING SOMETHING. That is why I wrote the original post.

Honored Contributor

I just remembered the cashmere sweaters they have around the holidays. They are gorgeous - thick and luxurious.

Esteemed Contributor

I cannot find the original article, YET. I will go back through my history and see if I can find it. I was upset to read it. But then I figured it was an attack, not meant to be helpful.

I also have a Sams. We had a mall but it has been closed for 15 years. We have another mall and it should be closed. What a mess. I shop online, at Walmart, Costco, Sams, Amazon and at outlets that are about an hour away. I have what I need.

Respected Contributor

On 5/23/2014 bonnielu said:

I cannot find the original article, YET. I will go back through my history and see if I can find it. I was upset to read it. But then I figured it was an attack, not meant to be helpful.

I also have a Sams. We had a mall but it has been closed for 15 years. We have another mall and it should be closed. What a mess. I shop online, at Walmart, Costco, Sams, Amazon and at outlets that are about an hour away. I have what I need.

Hey bonnielu - don't struggle to find that article if you're trying to find it for me! As I posted, I find these articles to be just crazy. It could be just personal preferences passed off as informed decisions, or yes, it could be an attack by someone with financial backing from a competitor. Personal experience RULES and obviously your personal experience with Costco is a good one. I CAN'T WAIT till I can shop at one!

Esteemed Contributor