Super Contributor

Lessons from Madame Chic by Jennifer Scott (book)

For those who ordered the book recently, have you had a chance to read it? If so, what did you think?

Is the idea of having fewer, but better clothes more appealing? It definitely is to me.

Super Contributor

Re: Lessons from Madame Chic by Jennifer Scott (book)

I read it when it was first published. It was a sweet book but nothing she wrote is new. Back in 1974 I read a book from the editors of Vogue about how European women had small closets and just bought quality over quantity. It was a new concept to me at the time but I followed that advice for years and continue to do so. I also liked the chapter about not eating in between meals...lots of good tips. I follow her blog also... She has great enthusiasm and I enjoy her weekly tips.
Super Contributor

Hi maddiecat, I haven't read her book but i'm a fan of her youtube channel "The Daily Connoisseur" where she shows her different 10 item wardrobes along with other topics.

Have you watched any of her videos?

I like the idea of having core pieces in your closet with a few add-ons that change them up. I haven't pared down like she has but I really do like her way of thinking.

Respected Contributor

I bought her book recently, from Amazon, a used copy for just a few dollars.

It's a pretty entertaining read. It's mainly about one Parisian woman and her family, and their rather formal way of life. There is a second, more Bohemian woman who also plays a role in the book.

The book touches on a lot of different areas: simplicity, style, makeup, diet, entertaining, etc. Most of the advice is familiar.

I think it's fun to read once. I don't think I'll need it going forward. I'll be passing my copy along to friends.

I find her blog and You Tube videos interesting and helpful.