Honored Contributor

Banana Republic...remember when?

Remember when Banana Republic used to be all "safari-inspired" gear? Long, flowy dresses...a la "Out of Africa" and Princess Diana?? Miss that uber feminine type of dressing...

Respected Contributor

Re: Banana Republic...remember when?

Pants and jeans were made in Italy....
Contributor

Our store had a jeep parked inside and fake life-size banana trees. Very tropical!

Frequent Contributor

On 5/5/2014 Ribby said:

Our store had a jeep parked inside and fake life-size banana trees. Very tropical!

Yes, ditto! It was all very Indiana Jones inspired. I loved the original store.

Super Contributor

Yes. So many romantic styles. My sister shopped at Banana R in NYC. She purchased a ""Flight Suit"" jumpsuit with a zipper. They used to send out colorful catalogs. The Limited had a line called ""Outback Red"".

Contributor

Yes, I remember and I miss it.

Respected Contributor

We would drive a long distance to go to the store in Tulsa many years ago. The catalog was so much fun and the clothing/products were really wonderful. The sellout was a sad day in my shopping life . One of the few clothing donation regrets I have was a lovely scarf from those days. I never thought I would wear scarfs again and now I have a collection.

Contributor

Yep, I remember. The stores and catalogs were quite interesting. Back then I bought an Indiana Jones style leather bomber jacket from them. Still have it and its still in excellent condition.

Honored Contributor

Long time ago

BR is more business oriented now I think, and boring

Trusted Contributor

I love Banana Republic but it sure has gotten pricey. I will say that most of the pieces I've purchased there have held up very well. I usually just wait for a good sale.