Respected Contributor

Coat and Jacket Sleeve Lengths

In my coat search, I've run into the issue of sleeve length. Many coats have sleeves too long. Some can be altered; some cannot (such as those with zippers on the sleeves).

I've wondered, what is the ideal sleeve length for a coat? I read some articles and found this illustration the most helpful, so thought I would pass it along.

Sleeve length

Honored Contributor

Re: Coat and Jacket Sleeve Lengths

Changing the subject: I'd like to see approx. pant measurements from the waist to the very bottom of the crotch. If not on air, (might be time consuming to measure and announce each and every size) then in the size charts.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

From the graphic presented, I lean more towards the one labeled "too long." I have long arms, and if the sleeves are a bit longer, especially on a coat, then it does not look like the coat sleeve is too short when I bend my arms.

Respected Contributor

On 5/5/2014 TaylorBrown said:

From the graphic presented, I lean more towards the one labeled "too long." I have long arms, and if the sleeves are a bit longer, especially on a coat, then it does not look like the coat sleeve is too short when I bend my arms.

You make a good point. Based on the instruction "no longer than the base of the thumb," that coat is within the correct range.

Some sources say to put on the coat, let your arms hang down, then bend one arm at the elbow (bringing your hand to your chest). The coat sleeve on the bent arm should be right at the wrist.

Super Contributor

I like it an inch below my wrist bone, sometimes maybe a little less. Almost always have to have my sleeves shortened.
Contributor

I confess, I like sleeves on the longish side. I'm tall with long arms. Most sleeves are too short for me. I get so happy when I try on a coat and the sleeves come down my hand a little.

Honored Contributor

I prefer sleeves on the shorter side........because I always have on 5 to 7 bracelets on each wrist..............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I, too, have long arms. I like long sleeves, not 3/4. Although I realize that most women prefer 3/4.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).