Honored Contributor

A New Computer Scam Was Attempted

I have a new laptop, with windows 8.1 and my trial version of McCaffee installed. Last night, I was looking on the Internet for the answer to a question. A website popped up and I got out of it. This morning, a man called my home from India claiming to be from Microsoft. My husband answered and told him I was sleeping. The man left his name and phone number and asked that I call him back. I called back and he claimed that he works for Microsoft and that they are getting error messages about my network and proceeded to try to scare me. He said he worked for Windows Help. As I questioned him, he said he worked for softsofysolutions.com and he attempted to try to convince me to let him take control of my computer. I couldn't verify anything he said so I told him no, and then got off the phone. I used my iphone to research this company and found they scare you into paying them for support. They might also corrupt yor computer. I went to Microsoft Website to report this, they switch you to the FTC to report this. The process is long, so I will wait until tomorrow to report this. I am glad I went with my gut and said NO. Just posting here to warn my QVC friends. I am on the National Do Znot Call Registry.
Super Contributor

Re: A New Computer Scam Was Attempted

This scam had been around for a long time. You need to upgrade your McAfee to detect spyware and set you computer to block pop ups!
Valued Contributor

I get a call at my office on a monthly basis from someone telling me that ""your computer has been compromised"".

Honored Contributor

Take the phone number and have your phone company 'block' the number. Sometimes you can even block it if you go to your phone company's website.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

They're everywhere, people wanting to separate you from your money. Be alert.

Respected Contributor

The National Do Not Call Registry is pretty much useless as the scammers quickly learned ways of getting around them. Yes, you just proved how following one's instincts is the right thing to do. I've pretty much learned that legimate companies don't call me, I have to call them. Except, of course, my bank card & credit card companies that call me whenever they get a fraud alert. I know who they are & what their caller IDs are.

Take care!

Honored Contributor

Trying to make people think it's legit by leaving their name & number.

Esteemed Contributor

The National Do Not Call Registry is a joke. Another government agency that accomplishes nothing. Only,legitimate companies abide by it. Rip off telemarketers just ignore it. The government can't even keep up with all of them much less enforce the law.
Honored Contributor

I know this sort of scam has been around, I just want to alert anyone who doesn't. They can be convincing in scaring people as they will direct you to windows event viewer and you will see all the error messages there. Then they will tell you they are going to remove them. I never let them on my computer. The phone number this call was using is 888-327-0476. I'm sure it's a call center. I didn't actually have a pop up last night, I was keying in the search window, a question I have and their site came up and I clicked on it. They got my number from the phone book, but there are so many sites with our phone numbers on it. I have up-to-date security and no problems are detected-which of course, doesn't mean there isn't a problem, but I have had no problems. The thing is that I was on Microsoft's sites last night trying to get the answer to my Windows questions, which made this coincidence seen like it could be real. I took two surveys at Microsoft and explained some issues. Anyway, many people don't believe they can be scammed, so I am just trying to help.

Esteemed Contributor

what ever possessed you to call him back???????