Esteemed Contributor

Need Advice on Brand of Jeans to Purchase

Hello Everyone!

I know that there have been many discussions over the years about jeans in Fashion Talk, but have come to you now because a bit of time has passed, fashion and fabrics have changed and I need two new pair of jeans pretty soon.

My previous jeans purchases were always made with La Costa Spa, which then morphed into Monterey Bay, which was then sold to Appleseed's, so the jeans I've been purchasing and wearing for some years are no longer available.

My primary needs is for a jean that has been designed and cut for women with shape. By this I mean I have hips and a waist (so don't do Levi's type jeans - I'm not built straight up and down). I'd like some give to the fabric with the addition of 5% of some sort of stretchy fabric

And, I'd like to stay around or below $89.00 per pair, if possible. Any help you can provide will be most appreciated. Thanks so much in advance!

~R

Honored Contributor

Re: Need Advice on Brand of Jeans to Purchase

A lot of people like Not Your Daughter's Jeans and Coldwater Creek jeans. Have you tried either of these on?

Frequent Contributor

Hi, I agree about NYDJ and also CWC but it's important to know what your specific body type is... Are you long waisted ( which requires a long rise ) with shorter legs or are you short waisted with long legs? It's all about your proportions when it comes to any style of pant and jeans especially. Are you proportioned? I'm an hourglass and have had really good luck at Chico's with their So-Slimming jeans and the Jag jeans brand that's sold at Nordstrom and some other department stores. It's been ages since I've ordered any of the brands offered here but I'm sure the lovely gals here can give you more suggestions but these are mine Smiley Happy good luck!
Trusted Contributor

Did you try Talbot, they seem to have jeans for all types of bodies

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/19/2014 lolakimono said:

A lot of people like Not Your Daughter's Jeans and Coldwater Creek jeans. Have you tried either of these on?

Earlier this week or last, I saw that CWC is going out of business, so I'm going to check out their sales. Also, I have heard really good things about NYDJ and think that my Nordstrom might carry them (?). And, no, I have not tried either of them on, but with some direction supplied here, know where and what I should be looking for. Thanks so much!

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/19/2014 tufgirl said: Hi, I agree about NYDJ and also CWC but it's important to know what your specific body type is... Are you long waisted ( which requires a long rise ) with shorter legs or are you short waisted with long legs? It's all about your proportions when it comes to any style of pant and jeans especially. Are you proportioned? I'm an hourglass and have had really good luck at Chico's with their So-Slimming jeans and the Jag jeans brand that's sold at Nordstrom and some other department stores. It's been ages since I've ordered any of the brands offered here but I'm sure the lovely gals here can give you more suggestions but these are mine Smiley Happy good luck!

OK, here's me: I am terribly short waisted (this is a fashion curse if ever there was one); however, my legs are average to long-average; and as to rise, I once had to have a doppler test on the right side and the tech said I had a very decent measurement between my waist and the thigh crease, so I have a longer rise, even though I'm short waisted.

In purchasing jeans in the past, my only problem has been length of leg (they simply make them about 1.5" too long for my leg length) and Levi type jeans, which leave me with oodles of waist bulging out (made for boys/men who are built like sticks).

I do thank you for the referral to Jag jeans at Nordstrom and will definitely make a trip there to try some on. I hadn't even thought of going to Chico's, so will add that to my list as well. Thanks for your comprehensive feedback.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/19/2014 evelyner said:

Did you try Talbot, they seem to have jeans for all types of bodies

See, this is why I came here with this question. I have shopped Talbot's for years for work clothes (when not wearing scrubs) and love their silky turtlenecks for winter. Will definitely visit Talbot's! Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm short and rounder and almost 5 ft tall. I purchased over 30 pairs of Croft & Barrow jeans on Kohls.com. They sell several lengths, cotton with spandex, they also have curvy (which I haven't bought). They fit me perfectly. On a few pairs, they're a little long, so I just fold the bottom up. Low, low prices and many different colors.

Esteemed Contributor

I like Lucky Brand & Old Navy.

Honored Contributor

Kohl's website has a huge array of sizes, but you need to try on jeans not order online. NYDJ

might be good but they have long inseams.

Gap has a curvy jean