Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY)

Good morning, shopping friends. Welcome to all our new readers and posters. We welcome all to read and post in this no-bash thread. We are all individuals and have individual preferences. As a result, what one might like, another may not; that is an individual choice to be respected.

It is Spring and a time of renewal; it is a time to focus upon leaving the past behind and making the best of each day. We cannot change the past but our choices and actions today will influence our choices we make in the future.

Do we really need Women in Control in four different colors, or any brand? What do we already have in our closest? Is it a real need to purchase items that are outworn or now too big, or is it just an urge to satisfy the desire to shop. Often the fun is in the shopping and then the arrival of the packages more than the actual product.

I have done my share of "buy one, save more" shopping. If something really works for me, I tend to buy it in more than one color. One of my "buy one, save more" shopping was that Denim & Co. 3/4 length denim jacket last year in pink and in white. They are now experiencing their second year of use and they look new. I rarely buy anything in white because it is an instant dirt catcher. For some reason, this white jacket has resisted that problem. The only issue with it was the fact that I laid it on the sofa and when I returned, Midnight had made a bed out of it. The handy dandy lint, etc. removal tool took care of the black hair.

I did go to the orthopedic doctor yesterday. He spent an hour going over all my test results and explaining each image and what it meant, as well as options. It was interesting looking at all the bones in my body on the image and the white "hot spots" which indicated bone growth as a result of a fracture or arthritis. Let me put it this way, my metatarsal area of my feet are a disaster area. I had done a number on those feet when I was young and the fractures healed but left it open for arthritis and bone spur growth. In addition, I have a new stress fracture. I'll be fine. I got the usual warning about the negative effects of wearing shoes without proper support.

I'm now watching the My Pillow TSV presentation. The original My Pillow can be bought in Walmart, as I saw it there on Monday when waiting for the injected dye to saturate the bones. Shopping is a great way to kill time but it can be counter-productive if not monitored carefully.

I watched AM Style while working on a project. I can't remember much of what was presented which means that it was background noise with nothing standing out to catch my attention except the "wiggle and jiggle" presentation near the beginning.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY)

Good morning ladies, hope all is well.

Jean - Thank you for starting us today, glad the appointment went well. I am afraid to see what a bone scan would tell me about myself. If I wore the shoes I used to wear in my younger days, my doctor would kill me. Yes, now I look for sensible shoes, one pair of my favorites is a pair of Clarks. This pair may not be the most fashionable of the Clarks line, but they are a pair I can wear all day and not be miserable.

You are correct on Spring being a time for renewal, I am renewing myself to more decluttering, this will start after Easter. I was looking at my closet in my second bedroom, it is fill with bed linens for when guest come. I am buying some storage bins and putting all that stuff in it since it only gets used 2-3 times a year. I want to open my cupboards and see clean, organized shelves. Wish me luck on this ladies.

Not much going on here today, just baking cookies for tomorrow and ironing a few things. A good friend of mine's mother is dying, she may not make it thru Easter, so I want to have clothes ready to go to the funeral home (I know, I am being a Debbie Downer, sorry).

Well off to get something done, if I don't get to write again, have a Happy and Safe Easter everyone.

Esteemed Contributor

Susan--I agree that this is an ideal time for renewal and a new beginning. I remember when I once wore high heels, etc. I can't wear the super flat shoes either. I definitely need shoes with support built into them. I have a collection of Clarks and Orthoheels. The Clarks are usually the clog style for summer, and the sandals are usually orthoheels without the thong. I cannot wear a thong style. Because of the foot issue, I look for sandals with the adjustable straps on the side and without a back strap.

Sorry about your friend's mother. No, you are not being a "Debbie Downer." It is a beautiful time of the year, a time that your friend's mother may find an even more beautiful place to reside for eternity. It is just so hard to part with loved ones at a time such as this.

I just read on Facebook that Kathleen is at Sam's buying furnishings for the "Love Shack," the name for the new RV she and DH will be using. I'm sure down-sizing will be a challenge but it is one that fits in with the renewal theme of Spring.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Jean, You and the other gals always do such a nice job when posting. I am glad that your health issues are manageable even though they may be uncomfortable for you. It has been a busy week for me. Monday my mom had a dental appt. in another town. Tuesday I had lunch out with some gals I used to work with. We always have so much fun together. Weds. my cousin came. It is good to see her as we hadn't seen her in a couple of months. I didn't know that she was staying overnight & going back home yesterday afternoon. We did laugh a lot & had one meal out. She loves pancakes so I made them two days & she had dinners out with friends, so she is an easy company to have. Tomorrow DH & I are having an Easter brunch at our church. Then for lunch we are taking my mom out for lunch so she doesn't have to be by herself all day.

Monday i have lab work in the morning followed by my GP visit. I never look forward to that. Then Tues. DH & I are leaving for a 10-11 day vacation. I am really in need of getting away for a while. We will celebrate his birthday while we are gone, so that will be fun too. I am going to the library this afternoon to get my tablet loaded with good books to read. I also need to shop for something to wear on my foot/leg while we are traveling so I don't get a lot of swelling. It seems that ever since my leg/ankle injury quite a while ago, I get swelling if I sit too long.

Susan, Sorry to hear about your friend's mother being so ill. I did so much decluttering during the cold nasty winter months that I don't really need to do anymore for quite a while. I am so ready for some nice warm (not hot) days coming our way. Right now it is near 60 but very windy. We might get some rain tomorrow, but they keep saying 70's. I don't remember ever having as much windy weather around here as we have had this year.

Hugs to all of you out there.

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--Good luck with your test results and the visit to the GP. I don't think people put those visits on their favorite lists. The vacation will be a great break and a way to celebrate DH's birthday. I started wearing those compression travel socks last year and they work very well. I buy mine from Ames but the original purchase was made from Amazon where they also sell. They make a big difference in the way you feel at the end of a long travel day and they really do help with the swelling. I think mine are the 15mg-20mg size or medium compression. I have the compression stockings in a sandal version also. With the foot issue, I have swelling at times, especially in summer.

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, that is such a cute name for Kathleen's RV. Being retired I think my DH & I could easily do that kind of lifestyle for several months, but probably not permanently. The good thing is that they can move it anywhere they want to go.

I remember wearing & loving high heels too. Now I go for comfort & something I can walk easily in as I do have balance issues. They do have lots of cute clogs, but sometimes it takes me a while to find the one that is just right for me.

I am still struggling with the death of my very dear friend a few weeks ago. We always had so much fun in the spring, summer & fall. Winter was not our friend though. The good thing is that she suffers no more & is smiling down on me!

Respected Contributor

Good morning friends!! Jean thank you for starting us. I'm on the hunt for some comfortable shoes that I love. I've been having an issue with my foot for a while now and probably need to see a podiatrist. I've not worn my heels since Christmas when I started walking. I have 5 pairs of tennis shoes but I HATE to wear them to work. Must get something for work that looks nice. I do have one good pair of supportive tiny heel flats. Thank you for the reminder.

Susan, sorry to hear about your friend but I'm glad you shared. I'm not one to sugarcoat my life, though I try not to post the "down" news usually it pops out anyway. I plan on decluttering this house once DH is moved. This morning we went to Sam's and got a new mattress (not the cheapest, but the second one up) and wrestling it into it's spot was a workout in which I tore my shirt off halfway through it because I was so hot (halfway through putting it in it's position, not halfway through Sam's). We got a couple towels and wash clothes and a couple frying pans and a couple pillows.

Now I still need a mattress pad. Tried to not buy one but just can't bring myself to put sheets on it without a mattress pad! lol Can anyone relate? DD is on her way, just called leaving her dorm, and she and I will go shop some more. I need the slim hangers, mattress pad, and then just a very few kitchen things to go in there like a pancake/burger flipper and a can opener.

I have grocery shopping to do too and most of it is basic needs for the rv like salt and pepper, baggies, foil, etc.

Twinny I'm glad to hear that you will get a vacation. I love what you write too! I am looking forward to some time with family tomorrow as both girls will be here. It will be so nice to take them to church with me! This is our unit.

Respected Contributor

That is the same as ours only ours does not have green in the curtains. When we did the "walk through" we discovered we also have the upgraded hot water heater and surround sound has been installed. We have not tried it out but happy to have that extra! Ours is pretty modest, 25' long and I plan on totally redoing the decor. For now I am committed to not spending an extra penny on something I don't need so we will live with the brown. I suspect when it gets cold I will be sewing curtains or something. I think with a home to hold all our stuff, we will be fine living in the rv.

Esteemed Contributor

Kathleen--Enjoy your shopping for the RV. I also hope that you find the shoes that you need. I'm sure as you live in the RV that you will find time to add the touches you really feel it needs to reflect your personality. What a pleasant surprise to find you have the upgraded hot water and surround sound.

It is time for my Saturday afternoon ritual of Kindle time, followed by Discovery Fit and Health later. Later I will find some more items for Good Will. I delivered some yesterday while in the city.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon! Thanks for getting us started Jean. Sorry about your feet, etc., but glad you can "live with" your issues without needing surgery, etc. Happy you have found shoes that work well for you. I am probably as bad with shoes as clothes (buy too many), but I definitely try to find comfortable shoes these days. I have a couple of pairs of heels (pumps) that I used to wear to work -- not high heels, but heels. And, I use them for church. But, mostly I wear "sensible shoes" (not too flat, but not "heels") these days.

I am enjoying our weather, and I'm glad some of you are finally having spring temperatures where you live. There are quite a few beautiful flowers (cactus and other) blooming around here. The Easter season certainly can be a time of reflection, and it is for me this year. There are things I really need to work on, but I am trying to "pat myself on the back" when I accomplish something. I think positive self talk is a necessity at least for me. And, I'm trying to get DH to do the same.

Hi Susan -- good luck with your decluttering. I just went through my linen closet last Saturday, and I can certainly do that again. Like you, I keep sheets, etc. there for very infrequent guests. These certainly could be moved to our storage room. Very sorry to hear about your friend's Mom.

Waves to twinny -- hope you have a wonderful trip. Sounds like Jean has some of the same types of compression socks as I do (just a different brand). Perhaps they will help you as well. I know you are still grieving your friend's passing, and I know she is smiling from above. I am still so very sad about the passing of Rosa's husband as well.

I like your RV Kathleen -- hope it works well for you. I think it will help that you will still have a "home base" that is a bit larger. I can definitely relate about the mattress pad -- I have purchased them for air mattresses as well as our bed, etc. Usually, that is the first thing I buy after buying a mattress. After my divorce and before I met DH, I dated a guy who had an RV about the same size as yours, but much older and not as nice. That was my introduction to the RV world, which I found very interesting.

Waves to Arlene, LindaR, Marijane, Sonya, Nancy, Karen, Gayle, Val, Rosa, and all of our new posters and readers.

Not much exciting going on here. DH and I went for a walk before breakfast -- very nice out, and I will be doing laundry and my weekly financial stuff soon. DD inspired me to make a lemon ice box pie (recipe from the internet.) Still haven't decided whether to do any other baking for Easter. I do plan to go to the grocery store that has a big sale on strawberries -- more a way to get out of the house than to buy stuff, but....

Have a good Saturday everyone!

Hugs,

Linda