Trusted Contributor

Shopaholics One Day At A Time - Friday

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

Can't believe it is Good Friday already, where has this year gone? I know I hibernated this winter, between cold weather and always being under the weather, I am so happy spring is here. I was watching the Gardening show this morning and was getting a need to start planting. We will have to replace a lot of our plants I fear. I am still hoping my rose bushes made it, time will tell.

Went to Coldwater Creek this morning and bought a dress blouse and a new pair of jeans. After looking at my jeans the other day I realized that they were all so faded. It's sad when you don't realize it until they are just too far gone. Oh well, gives me an excuse to buy a new pair or two.

Not much going on here today, just a little cleaning, the wash and taking my Grandfather out for fish tonight. What exciting stuff are you all doing today? Hope everyone has a great day.

Regular Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day At A Time - Friday

This was my first week on this forum and thank you for welcoming me in. I have enjoyed the posts and plan on making this a habit. Happy Good Friday, Passover, and Easter! I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe holiday weekend! ;=)

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon! Thanks for getting us started Susan. It does seem like time has gone very quickly this year, and I don't even have the excuse of bad weather. Nice of you to take your grandfather out for fish. Wish my parents were still alive, much less my grandmother (the others had passed away before I was born or when I was a baby, so my grandmother was my only real grandparent.)

Hope your roses made it, and glad you found some new jeans, etc. I can't say I have ever worn something so long that were that far gone, but maybe.

Hi rat2e -- cute name. Hope you have a nice holiday time.

DH and I had a travel club meeting this morning which was very good. The presenter had done a professional quality (in my view) video about a huge swamp in Louisiana. I never heard of the swamp -- full of alligators and interesting birds, etc. Doubt that I would ever visit the place, but I did take one of those boat trips in the Everglades several years back.

After the travel club, I went to the grocery store and bought a lot of specials -- produce, cheese, etc. According to their tally, I saved almost 50%, but I don't really look it that way. Some of the things I buy only because they are on sale (regularly expensive produce, smoked salmon, etc.) or even free. But, of course I feel like patting myself on the back for my bargains. LOL

DH and I will go to the gym in a little while -- I find the gym is too crowded early in the day. I noticed a Zumba class being given in the facility where the travel club is held, and I am very interested. Hope that I can take a class someday -- this is "golden" Zumba or senior Zumba I'm sure. Know that I couldn't handle the regular type.

DD said that the mechanic called to say that the brakes on the old car were very bad, and he was happy no one was hurt. Thank goodness she got the car in and is having it fixed.

Other than the gym and perhaps a walk later, nothing exciting going on here. I am still debating about making some special Easter treats (hot cross buns or something.) Not a need for sure since I have tons of food here.

Waves to Jean, Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, Marijane, LindaR, Sonya, Nancy, Karen, Val, Gayle, Kathy, and of course dear Rosa.

Have a good day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Hi girls! It's cloudy and overcast today - not really conducive to making me want to go out and do anything, and I don't "have" to go anywhere. The day got off to a lousy start - I got up and went to scoop the litterboxes, and saw that several kitties had left gushy poops all over the rug that's near one of them. {#emotions_dlg.mad} That's NO way to start a day - now I'll have to shampoo that rug all over again. There are boxes all over the place - including a row of them in the basement - but they all want to use that ONE.

I went to a different Dollar Tree yesterday and bought out all the Progresso tomato basil soup they had left - 13 cans. Progresso soups are $1.88 even in Walmart, so that's a great deal. I see that now all of Campbell's tomato soups are made with HFCS, so I won't be buying that brand anymore - I don't want that junk in my body. I went to Aldi to look for strawberries, as it was next door to Dollar Tree, but they had none left and boy, was it ever a mob scene in there! {#emotions_dlg.scared} I guess everyone was doing their holiday shopping.

The new pet supply store that just opened is also in that strip, so I checked it out. Huge selection of stuff, but pricey - almost everything was at least 20% higher than it is at Walmart, and even the same toys that Dollar Tree carries were $3.99. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown} No surprise there weren't any customers in there. They also do grooming, and I asked what it would cost to have Autumn's nails clipped - she acts like I'm killing her if I so much as pick up her paw. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} They said it's $9, plus an extra dollar if I wanted them ground down. Is that a typical price? I have no idea.... Also, does one tip a dog groomer?

No special plans for today, apart from getting a bit more cleaning done. I got a bunch of stuff put away yesterday that was making my office look cluttered, so I guess I'll finish that room today, now that it doesn't seem so overwhelming, and get the rest of the downstairs vacuumed. Maybe I'll get some more stuff together for the missions closet and/or thrift shop...I'm still hoping to find my summer nightwear, but have pretty much given up. I was talking to my BFF last night and she said she's sending me some new ones, so that's something to look forward to.

Welcome, rat2e!

Rosa, you're being covered in prayer; hope you're doing OK.

I assume Jean is off from work today? Looking forward to hearing about her test results.

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Respected Contributor

Hi Linda - we posted at the same time. I too rarely get anything really worn out, the only exception being jeans - when they get old and faded I wear them for things like cleaning or doing yard work.

Only in America can you "save" more by spending more! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Susan, my roses get zero care, and every year I get lovely flowers from them. I noticed that I have white irises in my front yard this year - I have no idea of where they came from! A gardener I'm not...I have a black thumb. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Esteemed Contributor

I think Jean was going to the doctor today to get her test results.

Respected Contributor

On 4/18/2014 LindaLatte said:

I think Jean was going to the doctor today to get her test results.

Thanks - I just assumed they'd let her know by phone.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon. I agree this year is flying. I pay 14 for nails at the vet. If I go to the groomer she bathes them also so it is more. I do tip her because I really like her. So nine is fair in my opinion. I saw some gorgeous roses blooming in town. Also saw some beautiful iris. Not much going on.
Esteemed Contributor

It has been a few days since I have time to look at or participate in this forum. My cousin came for a visit on Weds. & I didn't know she was staying over night. We took my mom out for lunch & had a nice dinner here. Yesterday after we had breakfast she was off with friends for the day. She had dinner with friends last night so when she got back to our house, we visited until 11:00 p.m. After I fixed breakfast today, she left to see different friends, so she is a wonderfully easy house guest. After lunch today., she left for home. DH & his friend did get their daily walk in so that was good. I had wash to catch up on & the usual shopping day. The weather is great & should be nice all weekend.

Susan, Yes I am with you in the fact that we had the coldest winter in about 20 years. We were cooped up here too as it was just too cold to be out & about unless necessary. DH & I are going to our annual fireman's fish fry tonight, then heading for our Good Friday service at our church. I have never shopped in CC as we don't have one near us. Sounds like you got some nice things.

Rat2e, welcome to these forums. I found them last summer & have had lots of loving support.

Rosa, my prayers are with you & your family too.

LL, Your travel meeting sounded interesting. I am like you that I love to find some good bargains at the grocery store. I don't really like grocery shopping. It sounds like your DD had some kind of car accident. I am glad they found the faulty brakes & can fix her car.

FHG, That is a good deal on the soup. I am a soup person & could eat it every day (except when it is really hot). Dollar tree is fun sometimes too.

Kittyfan, I love roses & the blooming iris sounds lovely too. So far we only have tulips popping up.

DH & I are planning a trip starting next Tuesday. We plan to go to KY/TN for 10 or 11 days. The last time we were down there was over 35 years ago, so we are kind of playing it by ear. Can any of you give me an idea what to wear on my left leg/ankle? I injured it badly 1 1/2 years ago & it always swells up when I am in the car for hours on end. I am always excited about going somewhere fun. I have just as much fun planning what I am taking as I do when I get there. I usually pack & repack my bag several times. Kind of drives my DH nuts, but at least when I am gone, I don't have to shop for something I should have taken along in the first place. The weather forecast sounds great--not too hot & definitely no too cold.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Fortunately, DD did not have a car accident, but the mechanic said that he was surprised she could drive it to the garage with those brakes.

I wear compression socks when I go on the plane twinny. They are the Futuro brand -- revitalizing trouser socks for women -- these are called "moderate, 15-20 mm/Hg compression.) I haven't taken a long car ride for a while, but I imagine they would work for that as well.

Glad you had a nice visit with your cousin.

It has been a while since I had a dog, but I think $9 sounds for nail clipping sounds reasonable Arlene, and I used to give a tip. Usually, the groomer also gave the dog a bath, etc. as well as nail clipping. I did have one dog who went ape if you tried to do the nail clipping, and she had to go to the vet for it. The vet even wanted her to be on tranquilizers, and she was a small dog. One word of caution, however. A lady who worked with me took her dog to one of those pet store groomers, and the nails were cut too deep. The dog ended up with an infection, etc. You might want to ask around about the groomer before trusting him or her.