Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY)

Good morning, shopping friends. It is a sunny day, one that is expected to reach the mid-80s but the forecast calls for snow showers next week. In this crazy weather, the plants that people are getting ready to plant will face a challenge. My daylilies are just now sending up their green shoots.

I had a burst of energy this morning. I have been going through clothes and putting into four piles. The smallest pile is the one that have seen me working around the house and have suffered the consequence; they will see the trash. The next pile is that of clothes that are still in great condition but just haven't found my favor lately. They will find a new home at Good Will. The next pile is "wear around the house to work in." These are primarily casual clothes that have been worn often but still can be used for work purposes. The last pile is the select group of clothes to be worn out, on vacation, etc.

I think I need to get a shoe organizer. I have a row of Clarks and Orthoheels now lined up. I definitely don't need new shoes but I did order the Orthoheel house slippers to wear around the house. I have a foot problem and these definitely help. I have flat feet and pronate (sound like a sales pitch?) so it places uneven pressure on knees and also causes foot pain at times. They aren't cheap but they last a long time. One pair of Orthoheels in the line up include sandals that will see their third year of use. I rotate shoes as the orthopedic person said that many foot and knee problems are caused by wearing the same pair over and over.

Tomorrow, I go for the bone scan. I'll get the injection at around 11am and then wait over two hours before they actually do the scan. I hope I can remain still for an hour. Depending upon how the schedule runs, I'll be tied up 4 to 5 hours. Obviously, the Kindle is going with me as well as lunch bar tucked into my handbag. I was a Girl Scout once so I learned the Scout motto of "Be Prepared" has carried over into adult life.

I do hope each has a great day. If you shop, shop wisely! Use this day to the max and treasure those close to you.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY)

Good Morning and thanks for getting us started Jean. Sounds like nice warm weatherthere today at least. Hope your daylillies bloom nicely this year. I am enjoying seeing pictures of the cherry blossoms at "home" (DC), but I'm happy being here where the weather is a bit easier to take. We certainly had a mild winter. And, our cactus are starting to bloom.

Sounds like you are using a very organized approach to your clothes sorting. I need to go through that exercise again soon since the Vietnam Veterans are picking up this week. I did decide to part with a jacket that I have been debating about. Speaking of which, I have way too many jackets for my lifestyle and the climate here. But, I just can't bring myself to part with jackets that I love to wear and still fit just fine. I need to remember not to order any more, however nice they may be. My latest "want" is a pair of white capris. I keep seeing other ladies wearing them, and thinking how nice they look. But, I need to remember that I don't usually like the look on me -- white/light colored bottoms emphasize parts of my body that don't please me that much. And, I always manage to drop something on my light colored bottoms soon after I put them on. I think I'll try on a pair of white jeans I have and talk to myself very seriously. LOL

Sounds like you definitely need a shoe organizer. I have two of them, and still have extra shoes. I do rotate my shoes like your doctor recommended. However, my "walking shoes" tend to be worn every day until they wear out. Maybe I should re-consider and rotate a couple of pairs . Hope you like the new slippers.

Wow -- that bone scan sounds intense. Being tied up for 4-5 hours is a huge hunk of your day. Hope that you can stay still and they find some information after all of this effort.

I have no big plans for the day other than going to church, the gym, and ironing.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, LindaR, Marijane, Susan, Rosa, Sonya, Karen, Nancy, Gayle, Val, Kathy, and all of our posters and readers.

Have a good day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--I definitely know what you mean about the jackets. I have a Susan Graver one that has to be four or five years old. It is a stone color but has a subtle print running through it but not overly done. I think she called it the conversation print. It does with everything that is solid underneath and is so versatile. I definitely cannot part with it as there is something about that jacket that keeps calling to me, and I've received so many comments on it. It is no longer sold by QVC but it was one of my best purchases as it was very cost effective. I'm with you on the white bottoms. They do look so good on some people but I know they would not on me. I don't even wear white blouses or tops. I do, however, like to wear Khaki for pants, etc. If I wear a khaki colored jacket, there has to be something bright near my face.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Good afternoon:

Rotating shoes is a wonderful idea. I tend to wear my favorites---will have to give more thought to changes.

I can't wear white on the bottom--or light colors!

There was a young lady (20 something) in church this morning. She was wearing very short shorts---I am ""old school"" and thought that it wasn't appropriate. She is rarely in services (with her grandparents) so she might live elsewhere.

I left for services and arrived at the intersection just as they were allowing traffic to progress---one year I waited for more than ten minutes to be allowed to proceed. After services there were a few bikes still traveling along. One was a unicycle--being followed by a ""chase van"". I am thinking that would be very difficult to ride for that distance. He still had a long way to the finish. It was beginning to sprinkle a bit also.

There is a chance of frost tomorrow night. I have some plants outside I will need to bring them in. As I live in a bit of a valley it does get cooler.

Respected Contributor

Hi girls! It's a gorgeous day out - temps in the 80s. In fact, it was already in the 70s this morning so I didn't get to wear my Indigo Moon jacket; I really like it a lot, but - like Linda - lightweight jackets don't really fit into the climate here as the "season" to wear them is only a week or two, if that. I have several that are really beautiful and still have tags on them - I couldn't resist them, but they're not doing me any good hanging in the closet. Anyway, I'm back to debating if I should donate at least that one to the missions closet - with missionaries all over the world, surely there's one who can use it and will love it. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

I did go to TJ Maxx yesterday, and to my surprise they had only one rack against the wall of nightwear, most of which was just long PJ pants (by themselves - no tops) and clearance items. I actually came out of there having spent only $2.99 plus tax (That's got to be a record!), and that was for some square muffin pan liners, which are had to find. I went to Marshall's, which is in the same shopping area, and they had a slightly better selection, but even so it wasn't great - just two sides of a rack. I did find two short nightgowns (one on clearance) and a pair of cute PJs with shorts and a top, which are also nice for lounging around the house. I commented to the cashier about the very limited choices, and she said they mostly carried nightwear around Christmas. Huh? Don't their customers wear something to bed in the warmer months? {#emotions_dlg.confused1} Anyway, I suspect you're right, Jean, and that's exactly what I was thinking: as soon as I wear these things and can no longer return them, I'll find the others. It's driving me crazy - I can't imagine where 20 or so pair of PJs and nightgowns could be! {#emotions_dlg.crying} I'm wondering if I inadvertently donated them...but donations go in large garbage bags, and out-of-season clothing in large plastic bins. Very odd! In fact, I looked around a little more last night when I was looking for a black summer top to wear under my jacket, but no luck...although I did get another missions closet bag started. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

I browsed around a bit in both TJ Maxx and Marshall's, but didn't find anything that really appealed to me - the few things I did like were similar to things I already have, and most of what I have is far, far nicer. Just as well - I don't need any more clothes. I did see some cute dresses, but the only place I'd wear them to is church...and I have more than enough already to go all season without repeating, as well as lots of cute Hawaiian dresses for more casual wear.

Afterwards we went to the park again; this time I attached Autumn's regular leash to the retractable one so she could go further out, and she had blast! Everyone was laughing at her antics in the water - she couldn't get enough of it, and didn't want to come out. Meanwhile Honeybun was at my side on the bank of the stream, obviously fearful of getting the least bit wet! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Jean, I got a wonderful shoe organizer in Bed, Bath, and Beyond - it hangs over the closet door and has compartments for 26 pair. I can fit two pair of a lot of summer sandals in most of them, since the sandals are pretty flat; the ones I don't wear often are stacked in boxes in a closet. (These are compartments - not the old-style with pockets.) It's like this, but mine is white; Amazon has black, grey, and brown.

Well, I know the girls would love to go to the park again today, but I really, really, REALLY have to get at least the front lawn cut...after I've had a nap. Wink I filled the doggie pool up after I got home from church, thinking Autumn would enjoy it, but no...she wants to part of it. I tossed some of her toys in there, but she just fetched them and jumped right back out.

Praying for a good result on your bone scan, Jean.

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Respected Contributor

Hi Linda! Just saw your post. I agree that the things some people (especially young girls) wear to church are totally inappropriate. I realize I'm very conservative (I don't think even jeans are proper to wear to services...unless, of course, that's all you have and can't afford something nice for church.) We don't see much of that in my church here (although a couple of young women pulled out the skimpy tops as soon as the temps hit the 50s), but some of what the girls wore in Hawaii - oh my! {#emotions_dlg.scared}

I was reading an article earlier that one town in Texas is so badly affected by the drought that they're looking to recycle flushed water for drinking! {#emotions_dlg.crying}

BTW, this video is cute...these two ladies have been BFFs for 94 years!

BFFs

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--Some of us remember the good old days when people dressed up to go to church. It wasn't a question of trying to outdo others but one of respect. Now, anything goes....and ministers often say "Come as you are." In a sense, it is the person inside that counts; not the outer trappings and it is also a reflection of the times. Or course, I remember when I made my first plane flight in 1978 women dressed up; now, it is comfort to the extreme in some cases. There is nothing wrong with comfort but people should not look as if they climbed out of bed.

Arlene--I really like that shoe organizer. I think I might be checking it out on Amazon. At the same time, I'm not crazy about things that hang over the door. It sounds as if you can find some good bargains in the places at which you shop. Just go and buy a couple pair of summer sleep wear, so you have one to wear while one is being washed. You wont be out too much if the others show up.

It is currently 82 degrees and sunny! A great time to enjoy while it lasts.

Valued Contributor

Hello All,

There is something about a weather change that does bring about organizing and spring cleaning.

I have been on Amazon quite a bit today. I kept changing my subscribe and save order. My DIL told me that she signed up for Amazon Mom and that bumps the discount up to 20% for 5 items. Pretty good deal.

This weekend has been mild but very windy. I have been indoors more as the wind made it hard to read on the deck.

Have a good rest of the weekend.

Respected Contributor

OK, late lunch is on...haven't cut the grass yet. Not that I'm procrastinating, mind you, I'm just waiting - let's see...until it cools down a bit. Yeah, that's it! Wink {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Jean, I wash my nightclothes after every wear, and try to do laundry once a week, so I need more than 2 nightgowns or PJs. I do have PJs with long pants and short-sleeved tops, but once it gets really hot I won't wear them.

One thing I love about the black churches (although I hate that so many people choose to segregate themselves) is they always dress up to worship the King - right down to men wearing suits and the women with their fancy hats. I wonder how many people would go so see, say, Queen Elizabeth, or even their governor looking like they just finished cleaning the garage?

Jean, I also remember planning my trip to England in senior year of high school - almost the whole class (all girls) was involved in helping me decide what to wear on the plane! {#emotions_dlg.laugh} I finally decided on a navy blue blazer and a white split skirt with front panel. Nowadays - forget it. Even when we used to just visit Hawaii, many tourists looked like slobs. I just don't get it!

Respected Contributor

Hello friends! I spent the day pretty exhausted. We had to go grocery shopping and wanted to take some pics and measurements of the RV we liked the best. I do not like the colors at all but other than that it is nice, small, modest for us. We left DH's truck to get it set up with the right kind of hitch and hopefully will look at a few more this week.

I did music for CR "for the last time". It was fun but I was tired and came home afterwards. Happy for some downtime! That's about all that's happening here. I have to stop myself every now and then and make myself take a deep breath. Hugs to all!