Respected Contributor

Sorry, but I just don't get it...

Why in the world would anyone pay $470+ for a generic purse? I collect Coach, Kate Spade, Dooney and Louis, but I would never pay this kind of $$$ for a no name brand which has had numerous issues according to the posts on this board. With all of the beautiful handbags out there made by reputable companies/brands, WHY would you pay for this one? I will never understand!

G.I.L.I. Vintage Leather Large Hobo

Valued Contributor

Re: Sorry, but I just don't get it...

The only way I would pay $470 for that bag would be if it was filled with $400 in cash

Respected Contributor

I would start saving my pennies so I could afford to buy the original Gucci version. Now that one is worth the price IMO.

“Do not think only of your own joy, but vow to save all beings from suffering.”
Dalai Lama
Super Contributor

On 4/11/2014 Luvmycats said:

Why in the world would anyone pay $470+ for a generic purse? I collect Coach, Kate Spade, Dooney and Louis, but I would never pay this kind of $$$ for a no name brand which has had numerous issues according to the posts on this board. With all of the beautiful handbags out there made by reputable companies/brands, WHY would you pay for this one? I will never understand!

G.I.L.I. Vintage Leather Large Hobo

Simple, then don't. The same can be said of those who purchase D&B, Coach, etc. It's out there for those who want it, period.

Valued Contributor

My latest purse from Kohl's was on clearance for 16.50 with another 20% off and 10 Kohl cash off of that and so I spent 3.20 in cash. I love the thing and using it now and already received tons of compliments.

Yes, I have two Coach purses and two Dooney purses also. I used the two Coach purses all winter long and time for a change is all.

I love to change up my purses in the summer to go with my jeans or capri's or what not. I like a lighter purse with some color and designs in it and I won't buy an expensive one like that. I like those more of a basic color so I can use forever. I also purchased a Liz Claiborne cross body bag from Penny's for when I am on adventures with my girls so I can be hands free. Paid 20 for that and love it. (discounts, sale) I had to punch another hole in the strap to make it a tad shorter on me but I bought a leather punch for 7.00 just for purses and belts and works every time.

To each their own I guess and I am sure some would not be caught dead with my 3.20 cash purse but I love it. This won't be the only one I use and I have a few other fun looking purses to use this summer too. The one thing I do see when I look at fashions is the accessories can really make an outfit complete. I always see a fun purse with a pop of color or scarves (which I have several) and jewelry. Shoes is another item that can really change up an outfit too.

Honored Contributor

I guess the only people that have to ""get it" are the ones who buy it. I think it looks like a very nice bag, and I love the color, but it is too big and expensive for me. I have never spent that much on any handbag, but if I was going to it would be a "true" designer bag in a store where I could actually touch it and examine it.
Honored Contributor

If I loved it, I would buy it. I would essentially have it forever. That isn't the type of bag that you use until it falls apart.

But I won't spend one dime on GILI.

Honored Contributor

I suppose it is just like the people who don't get it why anyone would spend multiple three figures for any handbag. Styles change, handbags take a lot of punishment, and they really aren't a necessity to many people that have trouble trying to afford basic things like housing, food, healthcare, or college tuition for their kids. For many, any bag at this price is just too high.

It all depends on priorities, and financial position to be able to have the expendable income to pay these prices for any purse.

There are also people out there that appreciate quality in a handbag, will pay a high price, but don't need a name on it to make themselves feel good or stand out in a crowd. In some circles, one is seen as snobish if they are carrying these high dollar name brands.

I have one MK, and have had several expensive bags over the last couple of decades, but I have to say, they weren't my all time favorites.

Honored Contributor

Why do you feel that you have to apologize for a perfectly reasonable, non-combative opinion?
Esteemed Contributor

On 4/11/2014 MomOf4 said:

The only way I would pay $470 for that bag would be if it was filled with $400 in cash

Love your reply!! Gave me my morning laugh!