Super Contributor

What color top with pastel or light colored pants?

Those D&C pants with pockets come in so many colors, I thought the mint or the light pink would be fun and something different for me. It is time to put away the dark grays and dark blues. Do you go tonal with colored pants or do you go with a different color? I am only 5' tall and overweight, so I do need to put together a look that works with these restrictions.
Honored Contributor

Re: What color top with pastel or light colored pants?

Is there a top in the exact same color? I think an all-over color makes you look smaller. Or a very small print top with the same color in it. Do you like white?

Super Contributor

There may be matching tops, I will have to look. I do have one white knit shirt, I prefer colors or else gray, not much black or white in my closet.
Honored Contributor

Here are the pants:

Denim & Co. Original Waist Stretch Regular Pants w/ Side Pockets

(The pink color isn't listed, so I picked a different pair of pants- I think they're this color) Denim & Co. How Timeless Stretch Twill 2 Pocket Pedal Pushers

Honored Contributor

Here are some tops that might work-

A223767

Bob Mackies Boat Neck Placement Print Caftan Top with Tank

A231933

Liz Claiborne New York 3/4 Sleeve Paisley Printed Tunic

A222960

Kelly by Clinton Kelly Printed Scarf Top with Bead Detail

A230540

Isaac Mizrahi Live! Cottage Rose Print Blouse w/ Crochet Trim

Honored Contributor

These are from CC.

Online, this one only has small sizes left, but I wanted to show ideas (or they might have this in the stores).

Paradise top - [K19196]

Azteca shell - [K19158]

Cotton silk floral shirt - [K17808]

Pure Cotton island top - [K22285]

Honored Contributor

The mid twenty something woman at my work wears lots of pastel bottoms, and she wears light neutrals on top. I have seen her wear solid white, cream, pale blush, and pale grey with her pants. Then she adds a bold necklace. She just wore a combo like this yesterday. I think she looked cute and fresh. If you don't always want to wear a matching print you could try that.
Super Contributor

A white or cream tank tee or button front shirt always looks nice with pastel pants. If you want to go casual with a pattern try a floral or striped top that picks up the color of the pants.

Super Contributor

Thank you, I think I will look for some prints. I have a LOGO tee that will go with the pink.
Trusted Contributor

I am also short and full-figured, and I generally avoid print tops unless I'm wearing them under a solid cardi or jacket so just a splash of the print shows in the front and at the neck; otherwise they tend to make me look larger. I usually gravitate to darker neutral bottoms (black, navy, gray) for the slimming effect and because they go well with so many colors. If I were to try pastel pants (not likely, frankly), I'd probably try a darker tonal top -- say a dark green top with mint pants or a rose/wine top with lighter pink pants.