Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY)

Good morning, shopping friends. It is another "fun" day filled with the promise of something yet to be discovered. I had leg pain last night so I was up when I saw the TSV sell out shortly after Midnight. It reminded me of the good old days in which some TSVs sold out in the first hour or two, so people were trained to stay up and see what goodie awaited at a great price.

It is dreary outside so I guess rain is in the near future. I don't pay much attention to the weather at this time of the year when I know I won't be venturing out. Thanks to the new HVAC, I am now climate controlled inside the house. Speaking of the HVAC, I got the bill for it; it came in at about $500 more than estimated with the tax. This means "cut back" time again. I won't be getting the SG top I wanted. I am now back to strict needs with some eating out permitted; I have to do something to break the routine and to have some fun.

I'm watching Criminal Minds right now and will search out some things to take to Good Will. I have already loaded the gently used microwave in the car trunk. The new one is far better but the other served its purpose for a year. The higher wattage on the new one is a definite plus!

The positives for the day are that I paid two credit card statements in full. These are cards I pay in full each month and are used to track expenses such as the $50 I dropped yesterday as co-pay for 4 meds for the month. I knew two of them were ready but didn't realize the other two were ready to go also. That leaves three more to fill this month. Then there is the lawn care that is about to begin at $150 a month. This gets old. Huge lawns are highly over-rated.

The city hospital just called to pre-register me for the bone scan on Monday. I guess I'll have time to go and eat out while the dye stuff is working its way into the bones. Wonderful! Need something positive out of that venture!

Have a great day. Shop for me! Smiley Happy

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY)

Good morning. Wow a TSV sell out. Yes that was like the ""good ole days"" Sometimes I will look in just to see what it is but I rarely ""impulse buy"". Usually it isn't a ""huge"" savings.

Oh I know that there are always expenses to be paid. One thing or another. I think we may be in for some possible bad weather on Sunday.

Oh that bone scan sounds intense. Hopefully the solution wont be too unsavory.

I won't be shopping. I need to consider a grocery run--but I need to itemize a list. If I do a list and stick to it I do better than wondering aimlessly through the selections.

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, Your life always seems so interesting one way or the other. Sorry about the leg pain, but I hope it is gone soon. It is a bummer about the extra $$$ for the HVAC unit. I started out with a cold yesterday when I woke up, but took some meds & feel better today. DH & I along with our dear friend did eat at Olive Garden yesterday for lunch. I was fine with it, but DH would have preferred his choice of salad dressing. The soup was good as were the bread sticks. While we were waiting in line to be seated, a gal came up to me & asked me if I lived in "our home town" she recognized me from when our parents played cards together in the 60's-70's. Had a nice visit with her & we found out when she & her DH moved to our town a year ago they only live a short distance from us now. I didn't find anything at Kohl's nor did DH. I was hoping to find a swimsuit at JCP but they were too expensive for just going into the hot tub with. DH broke his new electric razor last week so he did get another one at Farm & Fleet. Hope he doesn't drop this one. Grocery shopping day when DH & friend come back from their walk. Jean I hope your test next week goes well too.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning! Thanks for getting us started Jean. Sorry for the dreary weather and the larger than expected bill for the HVAC. Hopefully, that will last you for many years, but it is never fun having expenses turn out higher than expected.

As I mentioned yesterday evening, I need to replace the tires on my car -- not totally unexpected, but certainly not a pleasant expenditure. I had my hair cut while I was waiting for the oil to be changed, etc. They had a huge line, so I was happy I could do other shopping and come back.

Poor DH has finally finished that large bottle of prep medicine for his colonoscopy. He had to drink a bunch yesterday evening, and then start again at 5:00 a.m. this morning. I am "in charge" of him, so that meant me getting up early as well. They called from the hospital yesterday afternoon, and I think everything is set for later this morning.

Glad you got those credit cards taken care of Jean. It is a shame your yard is so large/expensive to maintain. I was seriously considering having our front yard stones replaced (using the tax refund money and some from savings), but I guess I'll hold off now since most of the money has been spent. Oh well....

I have my Kindle charged and ready to go so I will be able to read while DH is having his test done. After that, we will stop for lunch before going home. I'm sure he will be very hungry.

Nothing else planned for the day. It should hit 90 degrees again today, but turn slightly cooler over the weekend.

Waves to Kathleen (congratulations on the new truck for your DH), Arlene, Sonya, twinny, Susan, Marijane, LindaR, Rosa, Gayle, Karen, Nancy, Val, Kathy, and all of our posters and readers.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Kittyfan, I remember when I first shopped on the Q about 12 years ago, the TSV's always sold out early. I even remember setting the alarm clock to get up if I went to bed early that night. I guess it was the fun of the chase! Grocery shopping is my least favorite thing to do so I always make a list & try to stick to it.

LL, I hope your DH makes out well on his procedure today. I remember drinking that awful stuff, but being put to sleep for the procedure was a piece of cake for me. Yes tires are expensive but a necessity for safety on the roads. Our weather has been in the 60's all week & lots of sunshine. I need to make the most of it today, as it will be 40's for highs starting Sunday & 20's at night. The furnace will definitely be staying on probably until sometime in May.

Kathleen. so glad you got the truck for much less $$$. I know your move will go smoothly as you are such a faithful servant. I know waiting for something we want is not easy, but it does end up being the right thing in the end. I remember when I first got sick my DH & I prayed for a full year about whether he should take early retirement for my sake. The Lord pointed out early retirement for him & 6 months after he did retire the plant where he worked at burnt down & it was never rebuilt. We have received an abundant number of blessings these past 12 years.

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--I do hope the procedure goes well with DH. Like you, I take the Kindle with me where ever I go. Even if there are no planned wait times, there are times that you get surprised with a wait and need to kill time. I remember debating getting the Kindle about three years ago. I can't believe how I have come to rely upon it. I'm on my second one as I broke the screen on the other one after two years of use. I do think the lawns that have stones are very attractive but those do involve replacement.

Twinny--When you go to the Olive Garden again, request the dressing to be served on the side so that DH can have his choice of dressing. Sorry you couldn't find the swim suit you want. I bought one to have should I ever need it. Believe it or not, I got it at Walmart last year and it was fine. Like you, I don't see spending major dollars for something like that which isn't used that much or is used as you plan to use it.

LindaR--Shopping for groceries with a list in hand is always a good move. It keeps people from making impulse purchases. I have enough food on hand to do me for at least two weeks with the exception of coffee. Staying out of stores limits the enticement to buy. If it isn't seen, it won't tempt you; the same goes for TV and Internet shopping.

I'm off to fix some Progresso Light soup for lunch. I have never been a great soup lover until I found this brand.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Contributor

Jean, does your new HVAC qualify for a tax credit? The company should be able to tell you and provide a statement if so.
Contributor

LindaR, I'm like you with a grocery list. If I don't have a list, I feel very bad about shopping. DH is the opposite, so I hate to let him shop alone. He also never checks prices. But I won't be doing much of the shopping with this arm, so I better not complain!
Respected Contributor

Hi Val, so happy to see you posting!! I have to have a list too when I venture into the store, and if I leave it on the kitchen table am never very happy. lol

Twinny, thank you so much for sharing your "HIS"tory with me. We love Olive Garden but I do not like that salad dressing and always opt for the (sausage, "zuppa" or something like that) soup.

Jean I find it interesting the way we talk about money. I used to tell the girls that "we are broke" but at some point quit saying that realizing that it's not true but rather we choose to prioritize other things. Our budget will be tightening as well and we will need to stick closer to needs. Speaking of food, my cabinets are once again bulging with items. I don't know how it happens; like a frog in a pot I suppose. So I need to limit my grocery shopping.

Last night we picked up the new truck and ate at Logan's Steakhouse on the way home (not a favorite of mine, but it was ok). While we were talking I had a "lightbulb moment" and now I can see that just like folks who have an RV/tiny home to 'get away' in, we just might be happy living in the RV and having our home to "get away" to once a month.

Linda I hope DH's visit goes smoothly and that you can get him out to eat. I've had one of those before and you have my sympathies. My DH sure can get grouchy so I can only imagine.

LindaR I heard bad weather on Sunday as well. My CR leader asked me to "pray for the future of CR". I am doing music Sunday for the last time then stepping out of my role there, so I'm not sure what she was talking about but I'm considering playing my guitar.

Esteemed Contributor

Val--the tax credit for high efficiency HVAC units expired. The tax credit is still available for geo thermal units, wind turbines and solar powered units. I have the needed info should it be extended. The maximum of $500 would have been nice.

Kathleen--Remember that woman who went a year without buying new clothes? I'm certain we could do this; it once was accepted that you buy only when something needed to be replaced. Then it gradually developed to buying as a want or a pleasure, etc. That can get out of hand.