Trusted Contributor

O/T. Do customer reviews sway your thinking......

Just curious...do customer reviews sway your thinking if you are considering buying an item? I read basically for fit info, but the actual review doesn't sway me at all. You?
Super Contributor

Re: O/T. Do customer reviews sway your thinking......

Definitely! I always read the reviews, and many's the time I've decided not to get something that was either ill-fitting, itchy, stiff, did not hold up well with laundering etc.

If something is CTR, am much more likely to be happy with it.

Super Contributor

Yes it does! I won't be swayed by just a few bad reviews out of dozens but if a number of reviews bring up the same problem(s), it causes me to rethink my decision to purchase. For instance, a few days ago we wanted to buy an electric egg cooker. The reviews for the $20 cooker repeated the same complaints in about 1/3 of the reviews. We spent $6 more on another cooker that didn't have negative comments. So yes, we take reviews very seriously.
Esteemed Contributor

I read the reviews carefully for sizing issues specifically (if it runs big or small), comments about quality, feel of the material too. But most important I make sure the person has the item!!!

Esteemed Contributor

In a way it does. It allows me to step back, wait a bit and then consider my purchase. It takes time to check things out and that makes a difference in the heat of the moment when "ya gotta have it." I try very hard to sort out what is said, even go beyond these reviews to any that might be on the Internet as well. Some products are not exclusively sold by QVC as in the case of electronics. I also look at the forum to see if anyone has commented.

I have been stopped from impulsive taking over by just taking my time.

Trusted Contributor

Yes they do sway me but only if they are ones that make sense - things like the product chips, paint flakes off, fell apart on first washing, quit working after such and such use etc. I don't care about ones that are obviously ridiculous - five stars along with I haven't taken it out of the box yet but just know I am going to love it.

I also place more importance on a review from someone who has actually used the product for awhile before giving a review.

I look for consistency also. If there are a ton of 5 star reviews along with a lot saying things like it only worked once, parts melted the first time I used it, it arrived broken, etc, to me that indicates there may be quality control problems and I won't order because I don't want to be the person who gets the bad one and has to deal with the hassles of sending it back.

I will also check reviews for the same product (if applicable) on other sites to get some variety.

So yes I do use them but I also evaluate what I am reading. I will never purchase anything from just the presentation only because frankly some of the hosts these days seem less than honest. I also check onlline description to find exactly how much assemply is required, how long the skirt is, where an item is made, etc. If an item sells out before I decide to buy well so be it, it isn't exactly the end of the world.

Respected Contributor

Not since I realized non-buyers can give their opinion without seeing the item in person.

Super Contributor

On 3/14/2014 ibb38 said:

I read the reviews carefully for sizing issues specifically (if it runs big or small), comments about quality, feel of the material too. But most important I make sure the person has the item!!!

You're right, we check, too. And I might add, sometimes if something doesn't have any reviews, we might put off buying it until there are reviews. This is after a number of times of saying, "why didn't I find some reviews" GROAN.
Honored Contributor

It depends, but they definitely can. If I'm looking at something and the person says she's the same height I am or a little taller and the item is too long for her, I know for sure that I'll need to take it to a tailor to get hemmed, so I may not bother unless I'm willing to pay for that and take the time to get it done.

I generally look for trends in reviews. If one person complains about something, not a big deal to me. If a number of people complain about the same thing, that's a bigger deal. If that complaint is about something that won't matter to me, I don't necessarily care. If many people report a shoe isn't to size or the notes on size seem all over the board (too tight, too lose, too long, too short), I'll probably avoid it unless I'm willing to deal with increased chances that I'll need to review it. If people say a foundation is too orange/yellow, I'll avoid it because I prefer pinker tones. If a number of people report that a product has a strong or bad smell, I will avoid or go look for it in person before I buy it. Several product reviews for skincare items here noted bad smells, so I checked other review sites to see if anyone mentioned it there and then I went and found the product in person to check for myself before I decided. One I bought, one I didn't - the reviews guided me in the right direction and I sought more information before making a purchase.

I also like to check on other reviews by the same person to get a feel for how they rate things.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/14/2014 traveler said:

Not since I realized non-buyers can give their opinion without seeing the item in person.

Non buyers don't usually mention specifics- if the review is vague and is just an overall comment I go onto the next review!