Valued Contributor

Huge Discrepancy of reviews of fashion items

Hi Girls,

I just watched a video of a darling shirt and thought I would take a look at the reviews to help me make a purchase decision. Well the item reviews went from one star stating it was a piece of junk, sizing was way off, fabric was junky to five stars with excellent fit, fabulous construction and would recomend anyone to buy it. Help???? I don't know how these reviews can be so opposite ends of the spectrum especially on things like fit, fit is not a matter of opinion, or is it??? Anyway, after reading the reviews, I decided not to purchase the item.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Huge Discrepancy of reviews of fashion items

Fit can vary so much within the same line of clothing, and then even in the same piece of clothing. I've ordered two or more of the same item in different colors, and had them all fit differently. I think it's a matter of quality control--it's not there any more. And in reality, when you get them home, the measurements are not always what the garment measurements say they're supposed to be. I've begun to feel it's like a roll of the dice whether something will fit me or not-but I run into the same thing sometimes in B&M stores. I judge somewhat on how many 3-4-5 star review versus how many 1-2 star reviews, that gives me an idea whether more people are having problems. And I have ordered items that had bad reviews, but it was fine for me, and vice versa. Just roll the dice!{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Honored Contributor

Well, they are totally different people and reviews are all subjective. So, it would be strange if you didn't get totally different opinions on the same subject. That's why I sometimes skim through the reviews but I never base a purchase on reviews.

Honored Contributor

On 3/4/2014 kittymomNC said:

I've ordered two or more of the same item in different colors, and had them all fit differently.

Me too. I ordered 2 of the same cardigan in the same size. One of them was 4 inches bigger in the chest - I measured it. If the reviews are all over the place then I might take a chance if I really like it, but I always check the online chest and length measurements before ordering. Even then there is no guarantee it will fit so I don't order that much anymore.

Trusted Contributor

Reviews can be so confusing! Some say an item runs small while other says sizing is generous. Some say fabric is high end while others say it looks cheap....

Esteemed Contributor

what I do is read other reviews by the poster who gave the item one or two stars....that way I can see if that poster just says bad things about all products....

(kind of like the posters, on here, who are always so snarky...)

if I see they "hate" everything they have bought.....then I disregard what they wrote...

Honored Contributor

I agree with Crystaltree. Reviews are subjective. Included are personal opinions on quality that I sometimes find surprising. Everyone has an acceptable quality and price level. They can be seen here on the boards. ""Average"" has changed in recent years because of overweight youth and obesity problems. What is normal?

Super Contributor

I just read a review that was 5 stars that said love the top, haven't opened the package yet like a lot of the items I have purchased but I know I will love this print top! omg

Honored Contributor

Reviews are subjective, and there is also the issue of quality control/lack of, with the manufacturers and QVC. It's really a shot in the dark these days if you will get the sizing that as is quoted.

"To each their own, in all things".
Occasional Contributor

When it comes to fit, when I skim reviews, I look for women who post their sizes and measurements in their reviews, it is very helpful. I skip the review if I see sizes that are no where near what I wear.