Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY)

Good morning, shopping friends. We are on a two-hour delay because of icy roads. It appears that I'm not working today but it was so good to be able to do so yesterday.

It pays to keep good records. I received a bill from the orthopedic office, and noted the insurance pai d for the doctor on the January visit but the November visit was carried over as the insurance not paying. I looked at the November statement and saw what I had paid, which was verified by my online credit card statement for the card I use to pay nearly everything as I get rewards for it. It didn't take me long to call the billing office. They were very efficient and cleared it up quickly and will send a corrected statement.

The correction means that I could consider that a $50 windfall to use in some manner. I will consider it money in the bank not to be spent at this time. The Susan Graver TSV doesn't tempt me; I would prefer it without the vest thing, plus I already have several 3/4 length tops of hers.

Unless I have a last minute call to work, I guess I'll try to see what I can accomplish today.

Today will make 37 days of not buying anything non-essential. I'm amazed at myself.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

/></p>

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Regular Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY)

Kona I meant to thank your for posting the link to the wedding pictures, I don't know how. I will be glad when they are all posted as I of course want to buy some for us and some for my MIL and a friend as gifts. I had to laugh when fellow poster said that I did not look like what they thought as I normally don't look like that. My hair is full but not as curly and I always wear make up but that was a little more than normal. I usually do not look that good{#emotions_dlg.tt1} I had fun getting all done up.

It is dreary and cold here.

I did go to the $12 rack at a local boutique and got a $140 pair of Josef Seibel shoes and a $76 summer top. My friends that went with me also found some things, I love this stores sales, they do it twice a year.

Better get back to work!

Esteemed Contributor

Rosa--I was pleased to post the link as I knew that people were confusing the business website with its Facebook page. You certainly know how to find bargains. That is what I call a sale!!!

I've been up since 4:30am as that was when I got the text alert of the two-hour delay. I wasn't sleepy so I just stayed up and did some odds and ends around the house. I think I'll do some Kindle reading now and check back in later.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning! Thanks for getting us started Jean. Sorry about the early wake-up call, but glad you did work yesterday at least. That was quite an amazing picture of the boulder in the road -- yikes! I am sort of dreading talking to DD today -- hope things are better there. Interesting about the medical billing issue. I once had a billing issue with a doctor that I never managed to get straightened out. It wasn't much money, but I was sufficiently upset about paying twice that I changed doctors. In fairness, I wasn't that crazy about the doctor, but the billing issue was too much. Glad you are still showing such shopping restraint. I am not doing too badly, but certainly have done some "want" shopping. I am trying to think long and hard before a purchase and also consider donating clothes that just don't thrill me. Slow process, but....

Hi Rosa -- I imagine you are very eager to see all the photos. It was nice of Jean to post the link. I was one who got messed up with the Facebook pictures, but did find the link just before Jean posted it. However, I had no clue how to post it -- thanks Jean! You certainly did great at the boutique Rosa. Sorry it is dreary and cold there.

It is a bit cloudy here, but we should make it into the low 60's. I certainly can't complain about the weather here.

Regarding Magic Jack -- we had it a few years back, but the reception was poor, so we gave it up. One of our neighbors uses it exclusively and told us that it had improved. I think we do get better reception now, and long distance calls in the U.S. and Canada are covered. The first year is not too inexpensive ($80 or so), but this year it was in the low $30 range, I think. However, I didn't realize that the fact that it was a conference call made a difference. I know that when DH's DD lived in New Zealand she called us through Magic Jack, and we had no problems. Not sure of all the conditions, but I think Magic Jack from another country to the U.S. is covered, but you have to pay for calling abroad or even to Mexico with your Magic Jack.

DH and I did make it to the gym yesterday and took our walk. I have "classes" this afternoon and tomorrow afternoon as well. Also need to do some writing work for one of my volunteer jobs.

Waves to Arlene, Kathleen (seems like you are really in the cold weather), Marijane, Susan, LindaR, Sonya, Twinny, Karen, Nancy, Kathy, Gayle, Val (hope you had a nice birthday), and all of our posters and readers.

Have a good day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Love the cartoon....could be me.....

Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

Jean - Thank you for starting us today, sorry about the early wake up call. I also saw the picture of the boulder in the road, glad no one was hurt. Having that fall in front of your car would make you go home and change your pants. I need to get some ironing done here, I have been putting it off for two weeks now and I am running out of shirts to wear. I was thinking, I could probably get rid of half my shirts, because I have been wearing the same things over and over. Good job on the shopping, I have been doing pretty good, I look at stuff online and then don't buy, it is my cyber shopping and not paying for it. It really isn't the buying I like, it is the hunt for an item.

LindaL - Hope DH is feeling better, glad you both got to the gym and got your walk in. I can't wait for Spring so I can get out and walk outdoors. This winter just seems to be dragging on and on. We used to get some snow and it would melt before the next snow, but this year it just keeps on giving.

Rosa - Glad you got some good deals shopping yesterday. If this weather ever lets up I want to go to the mall near us. When it is cold, I just don't feel like driving to it.

Well off to finish my tea and get ironing. Hope everyone has a great afternoon.

Esteemed Contributor

Kona, Thanks for starting this post. Good job at your record keeping. $50 extra is always nice to have for another day. I remember about 12 years ago when I was first diagnosed with CIDP and my medical bills were $300,000 we had no idea if the statements they sent us each month were right or not. We just had to pay what they said we owed. The good thing is that I am so much better and my bills are still expensive but not near that much. My DH husband calls me his "million dollar baby." 37 days of no "want" shopping is great too.

fbm21sm, I am sure that you looked beautiful at your son's wedding. It is cold but sunny here. Minus 25 chill factor today and tomorrow. Good job at your boutique. The most fun I have is when we are out east on either Mem'l Day or labor day and get to go to the Kittery Outlet Mall. They have great sales then too.

LL, Hope you DD is alright. Glad you and your DH made it to the gym. It was too cold for my DH to take his daily walk today. What kind of classes do you take? Not much going on here today. The fun thing will be after lunch when we get to go into the hot tub. It makes our "old" bones feel so good in these frigid temps. My decluttering is done. I took 3 bags to St. Vincent's yesterday. My DH even said how nice the house looks. He was amazed at how much stuff I had in drawers and out of the way. Tomorrow will be busy as it is our shopping day and I need to get my "power port" flushed. Since I plan to get my infusions every 8 weeks, I can't go longer than 5-6 weeks without a flush.

Hugs & waves to all other posters and readers. I still cannot remember who you all are yet.

Esteemed Contributor

PaLady, My mom & MIL love their tea too. They are both British born ladies married to US servicemen back in the 40's. I never caught the tea bug. Good luck with your ironing. I don't mind ironing except for the fact that my DH has long arms & long legs. I prefer to iron my things as I am only 5' 1/2" tall. Your shopping habits sound like mine. What is it about the hunt for us that is so exciting?

Respected Contributor

Negative 20s. Brr. We are at 22 and definitely feeling it. We had a dusting of snow this morning. Delayed school. Expecting another round tomorrow. Lots of accidents. No shopping for me. I am expecting an Amazon delivery of some dog food. I do need to pick up some bird seed. Saw some beautiful cardinals out this morning. I consider those purchases needs. Rosa: I was one who had a mental image of you. I think you are a beautiful lady and you glowed. I know ""big hair"". I didn't think yours fit that! A lady I know does Avon. I was going to order on line. Looked her up. Her pic was definitely years old with big hair. She has lovely silver hair now. She has an unusual name so I knew it was her. I need to get serious on organizing. Jean loved your cartoon. Over Christmas I was talking to a friend. We were talking about getting out. He said he simply throws a coat over his pjs to go to the store. I know he is always GQ worthy so I know that even that pic he is put together. Usually when I just run in I run into someone I know
Esteemed Contributor

I'm taking "classes" -- really called "discussion groups" through Osher Life Long Learning Institute, which we call OLLI. OLLI classes are always associated with a university, and ours is associated with the University of Arizona. Mr. Osher is still living -- in his high 80's, and a very, very rice man with no children, etc. He decided to give grants to start these OLLI chapters, and I think there are more than 100. They all work a little differently, but ours is almost totally volunteer -- all the "teachers/discussion leaders" do it for free, and the classroom venues are donated. One of them is the place where I volunteer for the senior lunch program, but there is also a bank, church, etc. Anyway, this "semester" I'm taking two WWI classes (the war started in 1914, so this is the centennial) and one class on the formation of the modern Middle East. But, there are many options (something like 60 plus "classes"). There are others that I wanted to take, but they didn't work in terms of time/schedules, etc.

DD seems to be doing better today -- thank goodness. She said the ice is melted for the time being, and they do have power. The bad thing is that my card to DGD still hasn't arrived. Hope it comes today at least. In the future, I'll mail cards a week in advance. Lesson learned.

Glad that your medical issues and bills are improving somewhat Twinny. You and your DH certainly have a good attitude.