Esteemed Contributor

Shopaholics ODAT - Wednesday!

Good Morning/Afternoon Ladies and Happy Birthday Val!

I noticed on Facebook that Jean is off to work today -- I'm sure she is happy to be there. Nothing exciting going on here. My plan is to go to the gym a bit later -- there are fewer people around noon or 12:30. This morning I had a conference call and realized at the last minute that my changes in phone and cell phone service were an obstacle to my joining the calls. I thought Magic Jack would work, but they wanted pre-payment for conference calls. So, I ended up using DH's cell phone. Talk about unintended consequences!

"Class" yesterday -- WWI in the Balkans -- was very good, and work was okay. I am really enjoying interacting with my fellow volunteers.

DD said that weather in Maryland is horrible -- ice and more ice. Electricity is shaky, schools are closed, etc. My SIL had to go to work in the ice, and it took forever. DD, my SIL, and oldest DGS fell on the ice as well. Hope weather is better for many of you, but I fear many are in the cold/icy/snowy weather. Please stay safe.

Waves to Jean, Kathleen, Arlene, Susan, Marijane, Twinny, Rosa, LindaR, Karen, Kathy, Gayle, and all of our posters and readers.

Have a good day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Trusted Contributor

Re: Shopaholics ODAT - Wednesday!

Good afternoon Ladies, thanks for starting Linda....I have seen commercials on tv for Magic Jack but never understood how it could work by offering such low rates. Nice that you enjoy your job and classes . It is a terrible day here too,everything is closed down,had several inches of snow but thankfully did not get the ice just rain. They are saying all this could re-freeze tonight,more snow for Sunday. I had posted some pix's on f.b. earlier,I don't know how to do it here.

Happy Birthday to Val....hope she is having a nice day.

Nothing going on here either I wish the guy would come and plow my driveway although I have no plans to go out...just seeing it is plowed makes me feel better just in case I have to!

Have a nice day at work Jean......hopefully you will pick up more days and the weather will cooperate.

Have a nice afternoon everyone and stay safe...I think spring is 43 days away!!!!

Marijane

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

Oh, spring can't come soon enough for me - I hate winter! It's overcast out but not terribly cold and thankfully snow is no longer in the forecast...but rain is. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown} On the other hand, the heavy rain predicted for yesterday never materialized, so I can't say I trust the meteorologists anymore!

I wore a pair of Talbot's waterproof boots yesterday - this was only about the third time I'd ever worn them - and when I got to work I saw that they're splitting in several places where the uppers attach to the rubberized bottoms. I've had them for a few years so I can't return them, but what a disappointment! I put some super-glue on them that hopefully will hold it at least for the rest of the season; they're not something that I wear often because if the weather is bad I don't go out...although there's no choice if I have to go to work.

Yesterday was really slow; I did one simple 1099, and then a woman came in with her friend. Supposedly she's supporting her friend and her two kids, along with her own daughter, on a very low income (and was claiming lots of deductions), and she got angry with me and left because I told her she's not entitled to an earned income credit for her friend's kids, only her own. She said she was going to go someplace else to have her taxes done where they'd let her have the credit. She's in for a surprise - we don't make the rules, and even if she found a tax preparer who would try and get her the credit it would get kicked out, she wouldn't be able to get another EIC for three years, and the tax prepared would face a $500 fine. If she's so hard up for money, she needs to find a better job! Anyway, most of the evening was spent watching "Chopped" on the office TV - so I got paid for watching a show I love. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} I think I'm going to take one of my textbooks with me tonight and get some studying done if it's slow.

My birthday gift from my cousin in Michigan finally arrived - a CD, Godiva chocolate, and a few smaller items. I'm looking forward to getting my new Kindle; I'm still shopping around for a nice vacuum cleaner.

Happy birthday, Val!

Guess I'd better make some lunch and get dressed. If I don't eat before I leave for work I end up snacking on the Cracker Jacks and Cheez-Its that are provided. Watching the Food Channel didn't help; I broke down and picked up a pizza on my way home, as I was starving by then!

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon We are expecting COLD temps again. Now it is windy and sunny but only in the 30s. It has certainly been unusual weather for us. Chance of freezing precips the next two mornings.

I was watching Chopped last night also. But no pizza for me--just a bowl of soup.

I too have seen the Magic Jack commercials and seen them in the store--not sure how they worked!

LindaL: your DD's area has certainly had the weather. Funny how SUnday was moderate for the big game and then the snows came.

Monday I went to the city for a drs apt. I only had a sweater and was ok. When I came out it had changed-was wishing for my coat. It was a hike from the door to the vehicle.

Esteemed Contributor

Good evening, everyone! I'm back from work and it was a very interesting day with the rainfall and potential flooding. In fact, some areas did have water over the road. Those students went home early.

The Career Center is five miles from the school, and students take classes there as well at the high school. After the students arrived at the Career Center, a big landslide and boulder came down and closed the road. It also took out the electricity. The students had to return to the high school via another route, which involved a trip of 32 miles instead of the five. As one of the students said, it was one long trip. It is estimated that it will take two days to get the mess completely removed.

Linda--Thank you for starting the thread. I've heard Magic Jack advertised but never knew of anyone who used it. As a result, I had no idea how it operated.

Marijane--It sounds as if you are really overwhelmed with the winter weather. As the local weather person said, this is a winter to be remembered.

Arlene--I'm glad that you finally received the items you had been expecting. Eating before going to work is a good idea.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Good evening, everyone! I'm back from work and it was a very interesting day with the rainfall and potential flooding. In fact, some areas did have water over the road. Those students went home early.

The Career Center is five miles from the school, and students take classes there as well at the high school. After the students arrived at the Career Center, a big landslide and boulder came down and closed the road. It also took out the electricity. The students had to return to the high school via another route, which involved a trip of 32 miles instead of the five. As one of the students said, it was one long trip. It is estimated that it will take two days to get the mess completely removed.

Linda--Thank you for starting the thread. I've heard Magic Jack advertised but never knew of anyone who used it. As a result, I had no idea how it operated.

Marijane--It sounds as if you are really overwhelmed with the winter weather. As the local weather person said, this is a winter to be remembered.

Arlene--I'm glad that you finally received the items you had been expecting. Eating before going to work is a good idea.

I enjoy watching Laura Geller but I'm trying to resist buying right now, so I do quick checks while watching "The Property Brothers" on HGTV,

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.