Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY)

Good morning, shopping friends. I do like the TSV but I am on Day 10 of a no buying of wants. Not shopping is like a diet, once one breaks over and samples a goodie then the diet may be over.

The big story in our area (my county was not affected) although one 30 miles away is affected is that a chemical was leaked into the water that supplied parts of several counties, including the county of our largest city. The problem is that they have no idea what the effect of this chemical is on humans so they are not taking risks with people showering with it.

Over 100,000 people are affected primarily in the county with the largest city. Only one large water company and its customers are affected. People can use the water only to flush toilets. They cannot drink it, shower with it, etc.

The facilities such as restaurants were asked to close. Surgeries have been cancelled. Water is being trucked into the hospitals for patients there. Obviously, the local stores are out of bottled and gallons of water and people are traveling far away to buy water. School systems using the water are closed, following several days of being closed because of the weather. The National Guard will be trucking in water today to dispense at various locations.

I'm off to get an MRI done today as well as have lunch with a friend.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY)

Good morning Jean!! I really like the tsv but I am going to pass this time. I did put the blue one on my wish list as it is a flattering silhouette for me and I love 3/4 sleeves. I am wearing my new dress today and feeling fabulous! I paired it with my purple long sleeved jacket (I decided I better start wearing my jackets that I so love) and my newest flat black boots from Target.

I heard your big story yesterday from a FaceBook friend in that area. I'm sure that makes life quite difficult for folks. It makes one tempted to stockpile some water as with Y2K, no?

Last night I went home and did some dancing, with my video game and then we found a HEART concert on the TV. It was really neat to hear some of the things they had to say. And they both still looked and sounded fantastic!

This weekend is packed. I woke up stressed at the thought of all the activity, and realized that I am just not going to be a happy person if I try to do it all so I must say no to several things that I really care about. It led me back to my anti-clutter "minimalist" thinking - which is a very good thing! Smiley Happy So, saying no to several things and tomorrow will be helping DD move back into her dorm. Maybe I will max out my step count doing so!

Hugs and waves to all! Prayers for Karen and family.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning! Thanks for getting us started Jean. Hope your MRI gives you some answers and you enjoy lunch. Glad you aren't in the affected county -- must be awful, especially since they don't seem to have a handle on fixing the problem. I remember having an issue with our water in Maryland that lasted a few days, but we were able to use it for showering, etc. Good for you sticking with your shopping resolution. The boutique type store where I bought my new clothes is having a sidewalk sale (started Wednesday), and I have to say that I'm sorely tempted to take a look at what is available. I'm particularly interested in the other pants that I wore in the fashion show. But, I'm trying to be strong. If you don't need clothes, you don't need clothes.

Hi Kathleen -- I know it is difficult to cut back on activities, but sometimes you really need to do so to preserve your sanity/health. Hope moving DD back to the dorm this weekend goes well. Glad you are happy with your outfit today -- that is a great feeling for me as well.

Normally I start off with a good morning, but today is the exception to the rule. We had a chirping noise in the hall which started in the middle of the night. I finally got out of bed around 4:30 a.m., and took down the smoke detector. I didn't think that was the problem since I just changed the battery a few days ago. Anyway, I finally concluded it wasn't the smoke detector, and thought it might be the thermostat. I couldn't find a battery for the thermostat, so I went on-line and after a long struggle, I determined that there was no battery in the thermostat. Next I checked out DH's "office", but couldn't find the source of the chirping. I changed the batteries in the carbon monoxide detector, and still the chirp. I also checked my e-mail -- big mistake, and found a few irritating things. Around 7:15 I decided I should just go back to bed. For some reason, I looked up and saw the second smoke detector that I had put in the room. Got that down, and replaced that battery. This was a fairly new smoke detector (maybe a year old), but I think it came with a cheap battery. By that point, I just couldn't get back to sleep, so I figure I'll be tired this afternoon. I did take the opportunity to talk to DH for a while, and I'm glad we had the talk. I guess all is well that ends well.

Other than going to the gym, no big plans today. I hope to get back to my paper sorting (so not my favorite job but so very necessary).

Waves to Arlene (hope this are better at your house), Rosa, Sonya, Marijane, LindaR, Susan, Nancy, Val, Karen (continuing to pray for your family), Gayle, twinny (hope I have that right), Kathy, and all of our posters and readers.

Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Regular Contributor

Good afternoon!

Kona, I have been with out electric since 9am,just came back on. My DH called me to tell me about the chemical leak. I am going to call my family in Charleston and see if they are effected. They were just here for the wedding, it was so nice to be able to spend some time with them.

Linda, why is it that the smoke alarm batteries always run out in the middle of the night, ours are wired into the house but have batteries for back up. The boutique siedwalk would spell trouble for me, I love boutiques and sales{#emotions_dlg.blush}, not sure I could resist. I try not to buy quanity but better quality clothes for myself, but I am not hard on clothing and wear them years. I go by cost per wear.

I have just been doing what I could around the house this morning with out electric you are very limited.

I also love the TSV, it seems very flattering, but I do not need anything.

Respected Contributor

Good morning ladies. Welcome to Twinny!! We love new ladies. We just love to chat. We just have a big tea party!! Oh my I didn't hear about the water issue. Very unsettling. We just all take so much for granted. I know I do. I marvel at the pioneers and the obstacles they faced. Kathleen: I agree. Make your best choice and know you are doing what you need to do LindaL: that chirping can be irritating. I know it is on purpose. I rarely can go back to sleep. Once I am up that's it for me
Respected Contributor

Oh Linda, that chirping would drive me crazy too. I'm sorry you didn't get much sleep. Was it the 2nd alarm then that was making the noise? I'm having a grumbly morning, struggling with someone else's job I was trying to help them out. It's the sweetest man on earth but not such an effective coworker. Grrr! AND hung up on a pesky salesperson that calls regularly insisting that he must talk to my boss immediately and that I should "just give him his cell phone".

Rosa so sorry you are without power this morning. That must be a drag. I saw Charleston on the map on Good Morning America and hope everyone stays safe.

Linda how are all the critters doing? Kyanne has a visitor, Mom's dog Bandit, and I have had to spank her several times. She is not nice at all to him and if I even say his name she jumps up to see what is going on. This morning she lunged and growled at him and I grabbed the nearest thing, my tennis shoe and spanked her with it. (I know, writing that here can get me in big trouble lol)

Valued Contributor

Jean,

I saw the story about the water contamination first thing this am, how horrible!

Is it Friday already? It has been rainy here most of the week. I guess, because of that, I feel like cooking comfort foods. Chili, tuna noodle, and mac and cheese has pretty much been the meals this week.

I have been trying to do some reorganizing. Sorry to hear that one poster had a horrible experience with consignment shops in her town...ours here are wonderful!! I sell and buy there and the prices can't be beat.

Have a good weekend all.

Respected Contributor

Hi girls! First thing I do when I get online is check my website, and someone posted the story about that chemical leak, so I thought of you, Jean. Glad to hear you're not affected.

No word on the water; no one has called me back - and I'm waiting on the furnace guy. If he doesn't show by 2 p.m. I'll give them another call. The insurance adjuster is coming on Monday; this is the same one who was here when I had the flood from the upstairs bathroom and he was very nice and also very generous with his company's money, so.....we'll see what happens.

For the first time in my life I have absolutely, positively no wants and no desire to shop; I wasn't even tempted to browse in Walmart when I went there for cat & dog food the other day. I do need to replace my Kindle, but I'm holding off until the house problems are behind me (and I'm debating getting the new model, rather than the older one they're offering the discount on). I'd like a newer car, but that's hardly essential. So, hopefully I'll be able to build up my emergency fund again.

School starts on Monday, so I'm enjoying a lazy day while I can. It's overcast with rain here and there, and rain forecast for tonight and all day tomorrow, so I probably won't be going anywhere, unless it's to the PO to see if my textbooks have come in yet.

Sorry to hear you had a bad night, Linda; it's amazing how annoying little things like that can be. Sidewalk sales are fun, but...nothing is a bargain if you don't need it.

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Respected Contributor

P.S. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the shaper I ended up keeping! It is a winner, and made me able to wear this dress! Very happy with both purchases.