Esteemed Contributor

WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR FASHION INSPIRATION?

I will be the first to admit I am NOT cutting-edge when it comes to fashion. {#emotions_dlg.mellow}

I have stopped subscribing to fashion mags as they seem to be so full of advertisements (and I don't like the clutter in my home).

I do love to spend time on Pinterest with my main focus on fashion. I also study my fashion-forward friends, and while I don't outright copy them, if I see a look I am drawn to, I will take it and put my spin on it.

And then, of course, I look to all you fashionistas for suggestions and recommendations, with a nod to lolakimono for her willingness to post pictures!

What about you? What inspires your fashion style?

Super Contributor

Re: WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR FASHION INSPIRATION?

From what's comfortable and what I can afford.

Super Contributor

I'm not a fashionista ... but spent years developing my own style - what looks good on me, what colors work best, what works with my personality and lifestyle, what I like, what makes me feel great. It's a little of this, a little of that and them some of that other stuff.

So - to answer your question - no one inspires me but me. I guess the answer is to know yourself first.

Esteemed Contributor

I would have to say I'm like Kathleen...I don't really follow trends too much when it comes to clothing. I've always gone my own way when it comes to putting together 'outfits' for myself. I buy classic styles and neutral colors for most of my clothing. I add the 'pop' of color w/ some items, like blazers and cardigans.

My nod to what's 'in' is due to an item being available and it fits my style and/or body type. For example, I'm not going to wear skinny jeans, legging...etc because they do not look good on my body. I never wore the low riser jeans because, well, I have a booty and I didn't want to show the plumbers crack. But since maxi skirts are available...I will wear those. Since booties are 'in' to wear w/ skirts, I will wear those.

But as for magazines, etc...I don't spend too much time looking at those to give me inspiration. I've never really had the time or inclination to be trendy. I don't think there is anything wrong w/ being trendy...I just was never comfortable enough to try to carry it off.

But rock on to the ladies that can. It would be so boring if we all wore the same darn thing.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

I avoid shopping channels for fashion. Just don't like them. I google around a lot and I'm a frequent visitor to Nordstrom. I do watch celebs photos and if I like what I see, I'll just look at department stores.

Trusted Contributor

I don't always know where I get my inspirations from but I do know that there have been some occasions when I am ahead of some trends that then show up in the following season. As an example, one winter I was obsessed with a certain style of a winter coat and really couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I finally did come across one through a major high end catalog (this was prior to real online shopping) and was able to get it.

The following Fall/winter season, they were everywhere and it surprised even me as to how or why I picked up on it the year before. I have had many other instances like that through the years so I guess it must be an internal instinct with me on some items. But I think that might be true with more individuals than they themselves even realize.

Respected Contributor

Loved the old fashion magazines back when they were filled with beautiful glamorous styles. I adopted some of my own style from them. Since then I rely on what I see in other media and built my wardrobe according to things that look good for me and have lasting value. Remember "Style"with Elsa Klencsh? I recall watching that every Saturday and once in a while she would have something on that I'd like and I would say, I can wear that. Much of my love of leather came from that.The trick was to find a store or catalog where you could buy low cost versions of those outfits.

Super Contributor

Interesting topic, magic.

I like to look at the catalogs and the websites of my usual stores (Ann Taylor, Talbots, Anthropologie, Banana Republic) to see what's new. I may make a trip to one of the stores if I find something appealing. I will occasionally browse the Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom websites to see what the hot trends are, even if I don't follow them.

Of all the magazines I subscribe to, I find nice things in O (Oprah) and More. Magazines such as Vogue are too fashion-forward for my lifestyle, and InStyle and People Style Watch seem to be trending too young these days.

I love to people-watch and occasionally get ideas. It can be noticing my coworkers, friends and even complete strangers. Also, this may sound silly, but I watch "The Bold and the Beautiful" and notice many of the fashions on the show, especially the pieces that Brooke wears. She is 52 and looks modern, yet classic.

Honored Contributor

I am the original Garanimal. I love mix and match pieces, jackets, dresses, and lots of colors and patterns!

Esteemed Contributor

Surprisingly, the 40's and 50's styles of Joan Crawford, Katherine Hepburn, and Barbara Stanwyck; and the 60's style of Jacqueline Kennedy. These ladies were way ahead of the curve in "modern" fashion ... pants that were cut with a flare, silk blouses with a touch of "men's wear" look; and blazers and jackets that would stand the test of time. In other words the "Classics." These styles were later further defined by the likes of Perry Ellis, Wili Smith, Louis Dell O'lio and my favorite ... Armani. Some of the current designers such as Akris Punto and others have taken classics to cutting edge modern.

I love the styles of Diane and Alicia on the Good Wife; and Olivia on Scandal..