Trusted Contributor

What you can do if you like a pair of shoes but you feel the heels are too high for you

Take them to a shoe repair shop! I've done it with several pairs of shoes that I've purchased over the years. He's been able to take 1/2 inch off each heel without damaging the lines of the shoes. The price is reasonable (I think I paid around $8 per pair of shoes) & the shoe repair shop I use does a great job. I rarely wore the shoes because of the heel heights. I could have donated them but I really liked the shoes & for me, that 1/2 inch made a HUGE difference in the wearability of the shoe.

Regular Contributor

Re: What you can do if you like a pair of shoes but you feel the heels are too high for you

I agree...and then you can replace that slippery plastic heel tip with a sturdy rubber one...so no slipping on floors at work.

Honored Contributor

Re: What you can do if you like a pair of shoes but you feel the heels are too high for you

You are right 1/2 inch makes a big difference for those of us who cannot wear a high heel. I've done that in the past, not recently, because there aren't many shoemakers (or cobblers) left in my area.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/6/2014 chrystaltree said:

You are right 1/2 inch makes a big difference for those of us who cannot wear a high heel. I've done that in the past, not recently, because there aren't many shoemakers (or cobblers) left in my area.

I don't know what I'm going to do when this guy retires. I guess I'll have to stop buying shoes that I like that have a heel a little higher than I like.

Regular Contributor

On 1/6/2014 sgraham30 said:

Take them to a shoe repair shop! I've done it with several pairs of shoes that I've purchased over the years. He's been able to take 1/2 inch off each heel without damaging the lines of the shoes.

Wow! I never knew you could do this. I thought it would make the shoe unwearable (uneven). Thanks for the tip!

Trusted Contributor

I never knew you could do that either. Learn something new every day! Thanks for the info.

Honored Contributor

I have donated some great shoes due to the heel being too high; wish I had realized you could have that much taken off the heel! I won't be donating any more before checking to see if they can be altered at the shoe repair shop. Thanks for the tip!

Respected Contributor

First, I'd never buy shoes I couldn't walk in. I love high heels and these days can wear up to a 4 1/2" heel without any platform. The day may come when I can't wear those and I'll just get new shoes with lower heels. Doubt if I would go to the trouble of adding platform or cutting down heel height.

Esteemed Contributor

I do not wear anything higher then two inch heel. Not healthy for the feet ... Bunions and heel spurs from those pointy toed high heels.

Respected Contributor

I was wondering whether a cobbler could do that after I got a beautiful pair of black leather pumps from 6pm last fall. The heel was 3-1/2" and I couldn't walk in them. I watched a few videos on the Internet about how to walk in heels, but I still looked like a man in drag, at least if you looked only at my gait. Maybe I'll try that next time. I had to send them back because I knew I would never wear them. I looked ridiculous trying to walk in them.