Honored Contributor

Does any one remember the Hess department store in Allentown,PA. ?

I was only shopping there once when I was a teenager because we were not from that part of PA., but that was some store. They had any thing you could want and the store was beautiful and I remember having lunch at their Patio restaurant. The food was great and they had a fashion show that day featuring petite models wearing the lines from the store. I always wanted to get back there, but I never did, I think they went out of business or sold to another company when the malls became popular. I guess I'm dating myself.

New Contributor

Re: Does any one remember the Hess department store in Allentown,PA. ?

Hi Baker,

I do remember Hess's very fondly and I miss it. Does anyone remember when they had the specials at Christmas time on channel 6? This is where they showed fashions and toys. Hess's always had the best looking Santa Claus. One year they gave a book out which I still have, I believe it was "Laura Jane goes to Hess's". My mom and I took my son to eat at the patio and they served his lunch in a stove. It was the extra touches that made Hess's Dept. Store special. These are the things that we do not see in the Lehigh Valley Dept. stores anymore. This year my mom gave me a limited edition Christmas ornament from 1990 from Hess's. If anyone is interested the local PBS station did a documentary about Hess's called "Hollywood on Hamilton". It was very interesting.

Occasional Contributor

Wow! I was pleasantly surprised to see this post as I am from the area. Smiley Happy Right out of beauty school, my first salon job was at an Orrs in my town. Orrs was Hess' sister company and we went to advanced training sessions at Hess' in A-town. It was a beautiful store indeed and so was Orr's. Sadly both are gone now, but the memories live on!!!

Great thread! Thanks for bringing back some good memories. Smiley Wink

Oh my goodness, their restaurant made the BEST vanilla cokes!! Not the pre canned stuff of today, the real deal in store handmade kind!!! My Grammy used to take me to lunch there as a treat when I was a little girl.

Respected Contributor

There was a Hess store at a suburban mall outside of Syracuse NY. They had nice things and they were decently priced. I bought a set of good quality teal blue dinnerware there that I used a lot. Gave it to my younger daughter last year.

Super Contributor

There was a Hess Department Store in Lancaster, PA also.

Boscovs is an old-fashioned department store in Pa.

Regular Contributor

Loved Hess!! When I was a young girl, my grandmother would take me there for lunch after she picked me up to spend a week at her home every summer. I loved the models that roamed the restaurant. I used to joke about the "model" modeling the "Hess dress" who was in fact just a waitress with the word "Hess" printed all over her uniform. My grandmother laughed every time! They were also famous for gigantic desserts. My favorite was an ice cream sundae, but I remember the strawberry pie, too. I was sad to see them close.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, we had one too. Thanks for taking me down memory lane. I had forgotten about it. We are not an area with lots of shopping, have to travel for our malls.

Honored Contributor

Jeez Louise ......... that takes me back a long ways!

I grew up in Buffalo, NY ..... my dad was born in Scranton, and we visited my grandparents in the Pocono Mountains ... Cresco, PA to be exact. My grandmother always talked about Hess with a real fondness. They told me they had taken me when I was younger, but I honestly don't remember it. Bummer.

Does anyone have any idea how I could get hold of a copy of Laura Jane Sees Everything at Hess's???? By Oscar Schisgall

Randy

Frequent Contributor

I grew up in Allentown,PA and when I was small and teenage years my friend and I hung in hess all the time watching the models  or going to floor to floor