The Joy of Christmas
128 Members and 16471 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

Winamac: GILI coat arrived - it's a dud

Started 1379460130.043 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1379674984.673 by winamac1

Hi win! The GILI coat arrived today and the good news? It arrived earlier than expected. Now for the not-so-good news...the only thing I liked about it was the color. It's a deep berry, not too pink and not too red. But the fabric? In my humble opinion, it's just a glorified felt. Granted, it's thicker than usual, but it feels very "felt-ish" to me, nonetheless. I ordered XXS and the size is fine, but the collar SWALLOWS me. I am very petite and my shoulders are not broad, so it's just a TON of fabric and I can arrange it, but it just ends up making me look like Kenny from South Park! LOL My biggest disappointment, and this is probably my fault, is that the only closure is the belt. No inside button, not snap, nothing. So, it's a heavyweight felt robe with a dramatic collar lol. I think, if I recall correctly, you are quite a bit taller than I (5'2"), so most likely it will lay nicer on you around the shoulders. However, I'm not sure how you will feel about the fabric. This is definitely more of a 'look' than a functional coat in my world and I wanted both out of it. I'm sending it back.

Page 1 of 1
winamac11379460298.16330366 PostsRegistered 12/29/2010Indiana

Oh no!! Thanks cali for your detailed review. I thought I'd shout out to you on the 20th to see if it was received.

Mine shipped yesterday. BUMMER...I can't cancel it. I don't really like belts all that well to begin with, but I like a lightweight cozy coat--that's why I ordered it. Too many of my Winter coats are far too heavy and bulky--some from Dennis Basso. I wish mine was still on waitlist and I could cancel.

Yes, I'm taller--five 8. I ordered xs so we'll see how it fits. I actually like big collars with drama, but I am afraid if you didn't like it...I probably won't either. Well, we'll see. I'll let you know when I receive it. I just noticed it processing yesterday so it probably shipped yesterday or today. I'm off to look at my order screen. I'll give you a shout out when I receive it.

Thanks again, and I'm sorry it didn't work for you. I ordered the black. Smile

Cali--mine shipped 9/16--I guess that was yesterday.

Last edited on 9/17/2013

Last edited on 9/17/2013

"Friends don't let friends...drink white zinfandel"

lovesrecess1379460438.85313563 PostsRegistered 7/14/2008Texas

what a shame you have to return it; the expense and hassle of doing a return to QVC is something I hate! I think Lisa seems to be more about a "look" than function....when you can get both you have something everyone would want.

california­momofthree1379461029.315426 PostsRegistered 4/13/2010

Hi ladies! upsidedown: I love a look, don't get me wrong, but in a coat, I really need function. Even though I live in SoCal, my area is called "the high desert", so we actually get some blustery winter days. I knew going in that the return expense was on me, if I took a gamble, so I have nobody to blame but myself...and the good reviews! lol. I actually loved it on the date it aired, but wanted to see how the reviews came back and most of them were favorable, especially for the red color. Oh well, live and learn (again), especially when it comes to shopping on tv.

winamac: You may actually like it. I'm not bashing the item, it just doesn't serve a purpose for me in particular. The fabric is heavyweight, but not bulky, so it may be what you're looking for. It just was not what I wanted and the no closure is what sealed it for me. I think since you are longer overall, the collar may look more flattering on you. I should've known it would swallow me, but it seemed to stay put so nicely on the models.

winamac11379461202.6230366 PostsRegistered 12/29/2010Indiana
On 9/17/2013 californiamomofthree said:

Hi ladies! upsidedown: I love a look, don't get me wrong, but in a coat, I really need function. Even though I live in SoCal, my area is called "the high desert", so we actually get some blustery winter days. I knew going in that the return expense was on me, if I took a gamble, so I have nobody to blame but myself...and the good reviews! lol. I actually loved it on the date it aired, but wanted to see how the reviews came back and most of them were favorable, especially for the red color. Oh well, live and learn (again), especially when it comes to shopping on tv.

winamac: You may actually like it. I'm not bashing the item, it just doesn't serve a purpose for me in particular. The fabric is heavyweight, but not bulky, so it may be what you're looking for. It just was not what I wanted and the no closure is what sealed it for me. I think since you are longer overall, the collar may look more flattering on you. I should've known it would swallow me, but it seemed to stay put so nicely on the models.

Thanks again Cali. The no closure thing --except for the belt--will totally bug me as well. That shows how cheaply they made it. If I do like it...I'll go to a tailor and have them put on a big snap--on the inside to secure it. I shouldn't have to do it, as I"m like you...I'd have liked to have seen a closure inside. I hope I like it as I hate having to return it. I'll most definitely let you know.Smile

fthunt1379518053.2771383 PostsRegistered 12/24/2010

To read the reviews - this is a wonderful coat.........only one negative remark sandwiched in; but that's not surprising. In the past I've attempted to post an honest negative review (food/very salty) but it never showed up.

Now I don't even bother - good or bad - you'll have to just try it for yourself because QVC filters what's to be posted.

They own it so they have a right I guess.

(some people are on a limited salt diet so just thought it might be helpful)

millieshops1379519662.7614566 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

One of the hardest things about long-distance shopping whether TV or websites is knowing your own body. Years ago when my mother was alive and I could shop with her, I used to see pieces of clothing I liked and ask her to try them. Frequently her answer was some version of "no way." Mom was short (maybe 5'1: and extremely busty), but she knew what styles flattered her. I wish she had lived to see TV shopping. I think it would have taken her less than 10 days to figure out what to order, what not to order.

It took me longer, but I know nothing felt whether GILI or Denim and Co or Linea or anyone works on my body. Big collars? Love that look on my taller, less busty friends. In short, I totally understand why the GILI didn't work on OP, but that doesn't make the jacket itself a dud. Lots of women should be able to wear it very well.

cyndog1379528665.332313 PostsRegistered 10/8/2010California Desert
I live in the high desert too above Palm Springs and it does get cold in the winter. I ordered a coat from the Twiggy line on HSN last year and it was a strange stiff felt too. The style appeared dressy, but when it arrived the fabric made it look like a very casual coat and many reviews of it said it was impossible to get wrinkles out of it. I just record shows and fast forward through them so I never even knew that this GILI line was Lisa's until I started reading these posts. I hope a lot of things aren't going to be made out of this felt now.

tailfeathe­rs1379531733.35119 PostsRegistered 9/2/2013

That's too bad. I was wondering how it looked in person.

california­momofthree1379539027.1135426 PostsRegistered 4/13/2010
On 9/18/2013 millieshops said:

One of the hardest things about long-distance shopping whether TV or websites is knowing your own body. Years ago when my mother was alive and I could shop with her, I used to see pieces of clothing I liked and ask her to try them. Frequently her answer was some version of "no way." Mom was short (maybe 5'1: and extremely busty), but she knew what styles flattered her. I wish she had lived to see TV shopping. I think it would have taken her less than 10 days to figure out what to order, what not to order.

It took me longer, but I know nothing felt whether GILI or Denim and Co or Linea or anyone works on my body. Big collars? Love that look on my taller, less busty friends. In short, I totally understand why the GILI didn't work on OP, but that doesn't make the jacket itself a dud. Lots of women should be able to wear it very well.

To clarify: it was a dud for ME. If you read my banter with winamac, I mention (at least once), that it probably works better for taller folks. I typically do know what flatters me and the coat was flattering, except for how much the fabric gathered around my face. I didn't think it was as overwhelming on the models (around the face), but it doesn't seem to stay put as well in-person as it did on-air. The fabric was disappointing to me. Win asked me to review it because she had it on waitlist while mine was being delivered.

jonbon1379540051.3571658 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006
On 9/18/2013 californiamomofthree said:

To clarify: it was a dud for ME. If you read my banter with winamac, I mention (at least once), that it probably works better for taller folks. I typically do know what flatters me and the coat was flattering, except for how much the fabric gathered around my face. I didn't think it was as overwhelming on the models (around the face), but it doesn't seem to stay put as well in-person as it did on-air. The fabric was disappointing to me. Win asked me to review it because she had it on waitlist while mine was being delivered.

Those of us who read through the thread understood your comment, but the title of your review is not as clear.

winamac11379540157.630366 PostsRegistered 12/29/2010Indiana
On 9/18/2013 californiamomofthree said:

And I do thank you Cali for reviewing it! I hope I like it. As I said, I like "drama", and the collar shouldn't be a problem for me at five 8. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I did ask you for your review, and it was much appreciated!!!Smile

Mel311379541726.803380 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006Crazytown, USA :)

I received this and promptly sent it back. I am one of the reviewers that gave it a 3 star for fit problems.

My biggest gripe is that the garment measurements were posted on facebook. According to the measurements posted, I could have ordered my normal jacket size, but the inches given wouldn't have allowed me to put much more than a tank top/cami underneath. So I decided to go UP a size.

When it got to me, it was SO tight, I couldn't zip it up without feeling like I was sewn into it. I was very disappointed because I was following the measurements given.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans ~John Lennon

melindaot1379556300.077160 PostsRegistered 4/16/2010
It was a dud for me too. I got it today, size 14. It was so tight I couldn't move once I'd zipped it up and it was heavy. I wrapped it back up and sent it back the same day I opened the package. The color was pretty though and I liked the stand up collar but not enough to buy a size 16.

jonbon1379557063.231658 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006
On 9/18/2013 Mel31 said:

I received this and promptly sent it back. I am one of the reviewers that gave it a 3 star for fit problems.

My biggest gripe is that the garment measurements were posted on facebook. According to the measurements posted, I could have ordered my normal jacket size, but the inches given wouldn't have allowed me to put much more than a tank top/cami underneath. So I decided to go UP a size.

When it got to me, it was SO tight, I couldn't zip it up without feeling like I was sewn into it. I was very disappointed because I was following the measurements given.

Wait, are you talking about the same coat? The OP said there is no closure other than the belt. Then a couple of people mentioned zippers. Color me "confused." Smile

california­momofthree1379561888.535426 PostsRegistered 4/13/2010

The one I'm referring to is A235278

winamac11379589891.14330366 PostsRegistered 12/29/2010Indiana
On 9/18/2013 melindaot said: It was a dud for me too. I got it today, size 14. It was so tight I couldn't move once I'd zipped it up and it was heavy. I wrapped it back up and sent it back the same day I opened the package. The color was pretty though and I liked the stand up collar but not enough to buy a size 16.

The one we are talking about comes in xxs, xs, etc. It does not come in #'d sizes.

winamac11379590339.54730366 PostsRegistered 12/29/2010Indiana

Cali--I checked my order screen, and my black coat is out for delivery today (according to the tracking). I'm anxious to see if I like it. I'll let you know.

Last edited on 9/19/2013

Last edited on 9/19/2013

LipstickDi­va1379596661.66737347 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio
On 9/18/2013 jonbon said:
On 9/18/2013 Mel31 said:

Wait, are you talking about the same coat? The OP said there is no closure other than the belt. Then a couple of people mentioned zippers. Color me "confused." Smile

I think she might be talking about that plaid jacket? That had a lot of reviews mentioning the off sizing.

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

winamac11379623325.9430366 PostsRegistered 12/29/2010Indiana

Hi Cali! I just received my coat and tried it on. I actually love it. I love the big collar, but I can totally see how someone petite like you would not like it. The collar , imo, would not work on someone petite. As I'm taller, I think it works fine. I like the way the coat is somewhat lightweight, and the fit is perfect for me. It's not in the least bit oversized, and it appears to run similar to brick and mortar. I like the way the sleeves slightly bell out at the at of them.

I do agree with you about wanting a closure inside. I will take it to the tailor this weekend and get something added so that it has more than a tie belt. I shouldn't have to do that, but it is what it is. It is very slenderizing, and I like that it's not heavy.

Thanks for the review. I'm sorry it didn't work for you, and I'm now glad I didn't cancel it. I am considering the berry now, but I don't want it to be too burgundy.

Have a great day Cali!

Last edited on 9/19/2013

Last edited on 9/19/2013

nantucket ­shore1379626760.8235587 PostsRegistered 10/14/2007

Guess it takes all kinds regarding this coat....one say's it is gorgeous to the other extreme that it's a bathrobe with a collar.....the latter comment made me laugh.

melindaot1379645846.327160 PostsRegistered 4/16/2010
Oh I was talking about the one on the LRS last Friday # A235565. I should have paid closer attention.

california­momofthree1379651433.6575426 PostsRegistered 4/13/2010
On 9/19/2013 nantucket shore said:

Guess it takes all kinds regarding this coat....one say's it is gorgeous to the other extreme that it's a bathrobe with a collar.....the latter comment made me laugh.

It totally looked that way on me - funny, I know. I'm quite blunt conversationally, which I know isn't as evident here (especially since I haven't posted regularly in quite a while). The collar just would not lay right on my frame. It literally would not stay-put, probably because I'm too small, so there was no room for it to lol. When I did manage to arrange it in that dramatic, stately manner, I literally looked like Kenny from South Park. I know I said that before, but it truly looked like I just had this little face poking out from a frame of material.

I agree with winamac that the sizing is closer to regular/physical stores and it is slenderizing. It just didn't work for me. I think it would be gorgeous on taller ladies, for sure.

Moon Dance1379656636.83378 PostsRegistered 10/12/2010
I just thought I would chime in. I am petite and I love the coat but I am a cape type person and this style just suits me. Love the material and ease of putting on and tying and away you go. I think I will put a scarf on at the neck area. I think it just need a little something. I Purchased the Black. I really like how small it makes your waist look and I love how it looks from the back. I wish more coats would add a little back interest so we look good coming and going. Any way some styles work for some and some don't. We have a long season ahead o I am sure there will be many coats which scares me to death. I am addicted to coats, jackets ect. I probably own more coats than sweaters. LOL. To those loved the Coat, enjoy.

winamac11379674984.67330366 PostsRegistered 12/29/2010Indiana
On 9/19/2013 Moon Dance said: I just thought I would chime in. I am petite and I love the coat but I am a cape type person and this style just suits me. Love the material and ease of putting on and tying and away you go. I think I will put a scarf on at the neck area. I think it just need a little something. I Purchased the Black. I really like how small it makes your waist look and I love how it looks from the back. I wish more coats would add a little back interest so we look good coming and going. Any way some styles work for some and some don't. We have a long season ahead o I am sure there will be many coats which scares me to death. I am addicted to coats, jackets ect. I probably own more coats than sweaters. LOL. To those loved the Coat, enjoy.

I didn't think it was a 10 star coat (as a whole overall) , but I like it very much enough to keep it. I do love the "drama collar", and it is very slenderizing. I usually don't find coats with belts to be that flattering, but this one really cinches in well and makes me look thinner. I didn't like the material all that well, and the sleeves are really pretty the way they bell out, but they are a bit short. That being said, I'm most definitely keeping it due to the style of it and the fit. I'd give it an 8 out of 10. It's the first GILI clothing piece I've kept, and I've only bought one other piece. With s/h and tax it was $114 and change, and I think it's worth it.

I'd like to see this redone in a bit better material, but that's my main gripe. The overall "style" of it is a 10 for me. I like it's a bit unusual.

Last edited on 9/20/2013

Last edited on 9/20/2013

Page 1 of 1