Better Than Black Friday
121 Members and 11467 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

Observations regarding the GILI collection

Started 1378777137.887 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1378948681.843 by shopchocholic

In the beginning this line was introduced as things that this host Lisa actually owns and the GILI were replicas of those pieces. Well it seems lately Lisa & QVC are cranking out sooo many of these items sooo quickly that the new pieces no longer look like inspirations from Lisa's personal collection but more or less just items that Lisa may "like". Because of this I think the quality is lacking. You know the old saying, "strike while the iron is hot". While that may be nice I think it takes away the "special-ness" of the line. Some items truly do not look like anything Lisa would wear or own in her personal life off air.

This host followers on her FB page seem to go crazy for anything Lisa puts out there. They buy up anything she says. Think this is the target audience Lisa is aiming for. Lisa is promoting the GILI line hard lately, it's becoming a turn-off.

She'll post pics of herself on FB wearing these items (just for the picture being taken) and then we'll see her wear the items the Monday night before LRS and then after that particular Friday night we NEVER see her in any of this stuff in her personal pics or on air any longer. Think that alone says what she really thinks of these pieces.

The final LRS show will be mostly GILI items. Really Lisa?? I no longer believe you actually love any of these items other than just selling them for the time being. I even read on her FB that after the LRS is over she will still be bringing in more GILI items within other shows now too. See...right there tells me a lot!

Please Lisa bring back inspirations from your own wardrobe and not just anything & everything. You'll eventually lose your audience.

Page 1 of 2
Luvmycats1378779027.9474727 PostsRegistered 8/15/2007

She owns very FEW of the pieces- It has been stated that the pieces designed are simply things that Lisa likes- I rarely, if ever, watch Lisa on QVC, but when I have seen her she hasn't worn anything that I would consider to be extremely stylish- She wears the same things over & over again & her clothing is far too tight-There are other hosts; Amy, Leah, Shawn(she takes risks-tries new things & doesn't take herself too seriously), Courtney who are far more stylish than she will ever be- The G.I.L.I line is nothing more than a marketing ploy for all of those fans/followers(whatever you want to call them) who will frantically grab their CC as quickly as possible simply because a TV salesperson owns or just likes the piece- It's all just too weird and phony!

Of course Lisa takes photos of herself wearing the items-The woman is has a classic narcissistic personality -A friend of mine told me that she actually has photos of herself working out-REally? Who does that? {#emotions_dlg.w00t} I'm embarrassed for her-{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Last edited on 9/9/2013

Last edited on 9/9/2013

annabellet­hecat1378779975.07714725 PostsRegistered 9/23/2006

I remember one time George said something about "I know you'd never wear this or that". In other words he (as others probably know) she probably wears very expensive clothes.

That works for me as I believe people should buy what they want. Let's face it ladies, she can't sell Denim and Co and be wearing one of those expensive pieces of clothing (I don't know high priced designers).

She probably makes really good money and likes nice things. More power to her. I just think she dresses really DOWN when on the air. I think that's why she always wears the same things because she doesn't own that many pieces of clothes like she'd sell on QVC.

Also you must remember that she's selling an image. The Lisa image. There are a lot of women who hang onto every word she says and how she advises women what to wear.

Most of the people who buy on QVC are either like me (I like Linea, but only buy a select few only because I don't work), I buy some Denim and Co (I don't work and am 66 and wear a size XL mostly), a few Susan Graver, George and some Isaac (more of his lately).

My point is that I don't think Lisa wears hardly any QVC clothes at all. It's not like I know, this is just a guess.

Through my son-in-law I know of (not many personally) women who have extremely important jobs in the government and other women who have a lot of money, (when my husband was alive). Now I'm just a stay at home grandma. I never was into expensive clothes, but some people like them.

I think she makes pretty good money (she's not a millionaire) but I think she spends a lot of money (trips and clothes). She associates with women (like Joan Rivers, etc) who have a lot of money and she likes that life-style but is right on the out skirts of it.

I don't think I'm very good at making sense and this is just my assumption, but based on what I do know I'm probably right.

Phew! Now I have a headache.

gardensla1378780458.5619724 PostsRegistered 9/7/2006Los Angeles, CA

I just wished the quality of the GILI items matched the usually awesome style. But, I say that about so much of what is sold at the Q.

Get what you pay for, I suppose.

Fortīs fortūna adiuvat

Raider Fan1378781483.5334471 PostsRegistered 8/11/2009SF Bay Area

I have been tempted to buy a GILI piece but always held back. I actually ordered a couple but then canceled them. I no longer watch her show because the clothes she likes are not me, not what I see myself wearing. Just me, sorry.

Common sense is not so common. **Voltaire**

culebra1378782274.212465 PostsRegistered 3/22/2005

I do not understand the vitriol. Who cares if the Gili line are copies of Lisa's personal clothes. Some of the styles are quite cute and would probably appeal to a lot of people.

Daysdee1378782736.5419131 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007
On 9/9/2013 annabellethecat said:

I remember one time George said something about "I know you'd never wear this or that". In other words he (as others probably know) she probably wears very expensive clothes.

That works for me as I believe people should buy what they want. Let's face it ladies, she can't sell Denim and Co and be wearing one of those expensive pieces of clothing (I don't know high priced designers).

She probably makes really good money and likes nice things. More power to her. I just think she dresses really DOWN when on the air. I think that's why she always wears the same things because she doesn't own that many pieces of clothes like she'd sell on QVC.

Also you must remember that she's selling an image. The Lisa image. There are a lot of women who hang onto every word she says and how she advises women what to wear.

Most of the people who buy on QVC are either like me (I like Linea, but only buy a select few only because I don't work), I buy some Denim and Co (I don't work and am 66 and wear a size XL mostly), a few Susan Graver, George and some Isaac (more of his lately).

My point is that I don't think Lisa wears hardly any QVC clothes at all. It's not like I know, this is just a guess.

Through my son-in-law I know of (not many personally) women who have extremely important jobs in the government and other women who have a lot of money, (when my husband was alive). Now I'm just a stay at home grandma. I never was into expensive clothes, but some people like them.

I think she makes pretty good money (she's not a millionaire) but I think she spends a lot of money (trips and clothes). She associates with women (like Joan Rivers, etc) who have a lot of money and she likes that life-style but is right on the out skirts of it.

I don't think I'm very good at making sense and this is just my assumption, but based on what I do know I'm probably right.

Phew! Now I have a headache.

I'm sure she buys very expensive shoes, accessories and outfits. Seems to be her "style." Yes, she definitely could be a millionaire. A few years ago her salary was reported (in newspaper) to be $500,000. per year so it must be even higher now. Re: GILI--lately she states she "designs" the line even though at first it was said to be replicas of clothing she has/likes. I noticed today there are several items on clearance for those that are interested. I'm too old for her styles and not interested. I also buy mostly Linea now. Years ago I bought from several QVC lines, but not any more.

susan_ca1378784601.092186 PostsRegistered 4/18/2013

Being a millionaire is not that hard. If you depend on money from work alone, then, yes, it's probably hard. The problem is, in today's economy, one million dollars does not mean a whole lot... it can be gone in a flash. Before anyone bash me, I do understand there are a lot of people on this board who are living from paycheck-to-paycheck. I was once there myself. I learned early on (at the ripe young age of 22) to invest for the future. Dave Ramsey was my inspiration. He said, "Save now like no one else so that later you can live like no one else." I will retire in about 6 years, but I am no where near the age of most people when they retire.... a have a few decades to go to get to that age. I guess you can now guess my current age. lol

Soooo if Lisa makes $500,000 per year, it's very possible that she is a millionaire right now..... in the high million...... almost billion..... that is, if she doesn't squander it on frivolous things.

Having a RIGHT financial advisor helps a lot with the savings and investment.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald, "The Crack-Up" (1936)

PpprMintPa­tty1378808527.00718813 PostsRegistered 8/7/2007Outside our Nation's Capitol

I'm sure Lisa is a millionaire, if she isn't, she needs to fire her broker and get a new one. It seems she is very good with her money(from what I've read on here), so with her salary, if she isn't a millionaire, something is wrong.

I'm not impressed with her line at all but I don't do much clothes shopping at the Q so it's not a big deal for me. It would be nice if the quality was there, but it's not. I don't even care for many of the styles.

~Formerly known as Danny~

magicmoodz1378809631.0375321 PostsRegistered 6/23/2008

What I find interesting is . . .

There is often a feeding frenzy regarding new G.I.L.I. items being featured on the LRS Friday night show. Perhaps I have missed the threads, but I don't see women posting about their wonderful G.I.L.I. purchases, just what they wanted, excellent quality, fit spot on, etc., etc.

I buy expensive suits. They just look cheap on me.
~ Warren Buffett ~

gardensla1378814775.08319724 PostsRegistered 9/7/2006Los Angeles, CA
On 9/10/2013 magicmoodz said:

What I find interesting is . . .

There is often a feeding frenzy regarding new G.I.L.I. items being featured on the LRS Friday night show. Perhaps I have missed the threads, but I don't see women posting about their wonderful G.I.L.I. purchases, just what they wanted, excellent quality, fit spot on, etc., etc.

The very mixed reviews and quick-to-clearance pricing really tell the story.

In the retail business, this is known as sales that "don't wear well." Translated this means impulse buying and then returning.

Lots of that with G.I.L.I.

Fortīs fortūna adiuvat

winamac11378814960.6831429 PostsRegistered 12/29/2010Indiana

The average rating for many of her products is 3 or higher, but if you read through the actual reviews, they are far less than average on many items. I think the Q is messing around with the overall ratings. They don't match up. And, it's not just with her line.

I read through the reviews for the individual items, and they are, overall, not 3 or 4.

"Friends don't let friends...drink white zinfandel"

Harpa1378815584.7377690 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007

However the pieces got in the line is really immaterial to me. I only dress to one person's taste & style, and that is my own.

What I do notice about the GILI line is the cheap construction. The seaming, tucks & gathers seem a bit off, the cut at the shoulders, and sometimes the fabric, like in the one GILI jacket that I have, but should have returned.

That's fine if these little details go unnoticed by most. But the quality of construction absolutely does not justify the mid-price range.

The quality of her bags may be better, but I am not a bag lady, so those who have the bags may be very happy with them. And I've completely disliked any jewelry from this line.

Judaline1378815778.72715956 PostsRegistered 8/26/2006street of dreams

There is a whole page of GILI under Lisa's favorites or something. On the homepage. Anyway, the pieces are so awful. I just looked and thought, 'are you kidding me?' Many are on clearance and I can understand why. I did cave and once bought one of her blouses and it was like a piece of tissue paper, felt like it cost 50 cents. I do love her but these clothes, whew! Go back to the drawing board.

LipstickDi­va1378819032.6339183 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

It's always been my understanding that the GILI items were items Lisa either owned and had recreated under the GILI label or things she aspired to own/really liked.

How anyone knows what Lisa really owns or doesn't own is beyond me. I've personally seen Lisa in several of the original items that are now GILI items. Most of the items don't really appeal to me as far as style or fabric.

Many of her items have 4+ stars, many have 3.5+ stars but I've never read through the reviews, just looked at the number of stars on the items. This board is so off that it's totally possible the ratings don't really match up.

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

wonderwoma­n1001378819293.662752 PostsRegistered 1/21/2008

I love the styles in the GILI line. They are fitted and more modern which really appeals to me. However, I ordered her cashmere blend sweater and the quality was terrible. The neck and shoulder line was really fabulous but the fabric was beyond cheap. Very disappointing, especially for the price point!

blueroses471378824088.9132166 PostsRegistered 9/1/2005Central NJ
On 9/10/2013 wonderwoman100 said:

I love the styles in the GILI line. They are fitted and more modern which really appeals to me. However, I ordered her cashmere blend sweater and the quality was terrible. The neck and shoulder line was really fabulous but the fabric was beyond cheap. Very disappointing, especially for the price point!

I haven't ordered any of the clothing items (I did get a bag, and I like it well enough to keep), but I'm not surprised that you say this about the quality.

It's almost as if you can see the lack of quality onscreen. The clothing items are often really cute in style, but when I zoom in on the online photos, the way the fabric folds, and the way the seams and hems look , the quality seems not so good.

These items are not cheap, so I really think you could do much better if you feel like getting out there and shopping in the normal department stores....especially when you find something on sale.

A lot has to do with the connection with the Lisa mystic, or "groupies" or whatever you want to call Lisa's fan base. I like her as a host, but this doesn't factor in with me when I'm looking at the clothes.

Last edited on 9/10/2013

Last edited on 9/10/2013

coco141378824371.031119 PostsRegistered 6/19/2010
On 9/9/2013 culebra said:

I do not understand the vitriol. Who cares if the Gili line are copies of Lisa's personal clothes. Some of the styles are quite cute and would probably appeal to a lot of people.

there is no "vitriol" - just observations - Lisa holds herself out to be the fashion expert - if that is the case, then she is held to a higher standard - people watch because Lisa is the host - there seems to be a "cult" feeling about her - but if one looks at her objectively on PMS, for example, nothing about her gives off a "fashion expert" vibe - in fact, many times, just the opposite.

LuvMySpani­els1378825410.31206 PostsRegistered 8/20/2012South central PA
On 9/10/2013 coco14 said:

there is no "vitriol" - just observations - Lisa holds herself out to be the fashion expert - if that is the case, then she is held to a higher standard - people watch because Lisa is the host - there seems to be a "cult" feeling about her - but if one looks at her objectively on PMS, for example, nothing about her gives off a "fashion expert" vibe - in fact, many times, just the opposite.

I agree COCO.

I do not care who is HOSTING a show (e.g. PMS) .... and as far as stylish, Sandra B. far surpasses LR in all aspects. The GILI line is somewhat "fad-ish" and most of us want products from a real designer. Be your own person ... not a Q host knockoff!

14Victoria1378825893.9471271 PostsRegistered 6/7/2012
I own 2 GILI tops and I don't think the quality is bad at all. I don't know if I can accurately judge based off 2 items but I would certainly order from the brand again if I see something I really wanted.

faeriemoon1378826471.2976581 PostsRegistered 5/13/2005
On 9/10/2013 coco14 said:

I love when the Lisa defenders rant about vitriol. Like it's the worst, most vile and hateful noun they can think of, and if you have any negative comment about her or her show, you must be just about ready to put your foot through the TV.

Personally, I don't like her, don't watch her and don't understand her appeal. However, she is so insignificant to me I couldn't muster up any "vitriol" if I tried.

Last edited on 9/10/2013

Last edited on 9/10/2013

Last edited on 9/10/2013

My dentist told me I need a crown. I was like, I KNOW, RIGHT!?! ~Pinterest~

GinaV241378826473.7934517 PostsRegistered 7/23/2010

I thought the fitted dress she had on last week looked great on Lisa and the models. I haven't actually bought any of the GILI items though since the pricing is higher for what I think I would get. I am also not a big bag girl. Last week, showing the bottom piece where you could put a pair of shoes in sort of made me laugh to myself. If I am going to lug a suitcase to work, along with my computer bag, I'm sure it would be fine, but I prefer a mid-size, not so heavy bag.

Just my personal preference.

msnicky1378827681.693330 PostsRegistered 5/3/2010

What are you talking about??! When you launch a clothing line there are business plans and strategies that are involved, the target audience is one. Lisa put out a clothing line...it slowly built up speed based off the response...It works. So we will see more pieces and the brand will expand...Lisa is known for quality and yes she will make mistakes along the way...but it doesn't take away from the fact that she is a sound professional and that QVC knows what they are doing. You know its hard to buy into anyones line right now because celebrities keep slapping name tags on the line and call it their own and they are not involved or invested. I want to respect the person behind the line...and we got it with GILI, its not a perfect clothing line, or the only line or a line for all people .... but its a line that I can respect and put my money on{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

coco141378830336.891119 PostsRegistered 6/19/2010
On 9/10/2013 msnicky said:

What are you talking about??! When you launch a clothing line there are business plans and strategies that are involved, the target audience is one. Lisa put out a clothing line...it slowly built up speed based off the response...It works. So we will see more pieces and the brand will expand...Lisa is known for quality and yes she will make mistakes along the way...but it doesn't take away from the fact that she is a sound professional and that QVC knows what they are doing. You know its hard to buy into anyones line right now because celebrities keep slapping name tags on the line and call it their own and they are not involved or invested. I want to respect the person behind the line...and we got it with GILI, its not a perfect clothing line, or the only line or a line for all people .... but its a line that I can respect and put my money on{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

I think the OP expressed quite well what she was talking about. The launch of GILI was originally expressed as one thing that now has morphed into something else. And if you like it, respect it and spend money on it, that is your choice. Others have chosen not to do so.

Deebim1378858189.287137 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007

Most of my wardrobe is not from QVC but sometimes something will catch my eye.

I don't care if GILI clothes are replicas of what's in Lisa's closet or not. Some of the pieces this season have been quite nice and well made for the money. I have the black tweed sleeveless dress and the quality, look and fit are all good. The tulip shaped black skirt is great as well. Not my favorite fabric but it compliments my shape really well. Everything has been fully lined. I ordered the sleeveless sheath with the lace in the middle last week but can't comment on it until I receive it and try it on.

There have been GILI pieces in the past that I've returned but anything I've purchased this season has met my expectations.

shoptillId­rop1378858734.4639405 PostsRegistered 10/25/2006Michigan
I have to laugh because just this morning I watched a product demo of another 'celebrity line' where I actually heard the celebrity say "I should get this sweater". HUH? - shouldn't you automatically HAVE IT if it's from YOUR LINE? I guess not :/

I tried being patient but it took too long.

Page 1 of 2