Creede Silver Sale
142 Members and 14538 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

Why 75% of On-line Shopping Carts are Abandoned

Started 1377892560.223 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1378005342.11 by PuppyBreath

QVC could learn a few things here, especially regarding S&H and coupons....but then, they think they know it all... {#emotions_dlg.mellow}

4 Reasons why you didn’t just buy that

Yup… we’ve all done it: piled up that online shopping cart full of virtual goodies and then chickened out on checking out. You’re not alone: an astonishing 75% of online shopping carts are abandoned. Read on to find out the top four reasons why you didn’t just make that online purchase.

1. Tax and Shipping:

It didn’t seem so bad when those shoes were listed at $49.99. Then Uncle Sam made his collection, the shipping charge was calculated and your sweet little flirtation with retail therapy is now giving your insula a major meltdown. The part of your brain that reacts to terrible smells, the insula is also the same area that lights up when people are shown the price tag of a product.

In fact, an increasing number of online merchants are combating this mental agitation by staggering the effects of sticker shock—conveniently calculating your sales tax before you’ve even decided to check out. Regardless, you end up retreating faster than this pup and just never make the purchase.

2. Buyer’s Remorse:

It’s that sense of regret you feel after throwing down the plastic. Buyer’s remorse stems from cognitive dissonance, a state of psychological discomfort that plagues a customer when the price, lack of purchasing power, and disappointment outweighs the actual enjoyment of using the product. Consider that shopping cart abandoned.

3. It was fun to pretend…

Kids like to dress up as superheroes, cats “hunt” colorful, jingley toys, and you really, really liked the feeling of putting that designer wear in your shopping cart. You weren’t actually going to go through with the purchase: you just had to see what it would like in the shopping cart.

Top-of-the-line.

Shiny.

Luxurious.

…Then you close the browser.

What’s going on here? This is a great example of the many feel-good effects consumers feel while shopping, and it has nothing to do with the actual acquisition of material goods. Shopping can be a harmless fantasy that “releases mood-lifting endorphins, boosts your immune system, keeps your brain nimble, and even fulfills basic social needs” says Women’s Health. You may turn up empty-handed, but the simple act of browsing has flooded your senses, stimulated your imagination, and fulfilled the very basic need to forage your favorite online merchant. No credit card necessary.

4. The Coupon Code leak

You’re ready to check out, when you notice that gleaming empty box: Enter Coupon Code Here. The quest commences: new tabs are opened, searches are run, and your mission puts NASA to shame. You shake your fist at the Internet Gods and sometimes get so sidetracked hunting down a coupon that you never come back to finish up the purchase.

Had the merchant offered you a coupon code, would you have followed through? Studies have shown that you are significantly more likely to make your purchase when merchants displayed working coupon codes.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2
Raider Fan1377892891.1174447 PostsRegistered 8/11/2009SF Bay Area

One thing is wrong...the shipping is always added BEFORE the tax is collected. I pay tax on S/H. It makes me so mad, especially if the S/H is around over $10 that many times I hit the delete button. Do all of you pay tax on S/H or is CA gouging me as usual? I have wanted to ask this for a long time.

Common sense is not so common. **Voltaire**

JustJazzmom1377893062.40727889 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!
On 8/30/2013 Raider Fan said:

One thing is wrong...the shipping is always added BEFORE the tax is collected. I pay tax on S/H. It makes me so mad, especially if the S/H is around over $10 that many times I hit the delete button. Do all of you pay tax on S/H or is CA gouging me as usual? I have wanted to ask this for a long time.

I believe its the way the tax collection laws are set up in your state (I think NY does this too). All I can say is contact your state representative in your area of the state and address it with the legislator.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼

FunkyHulaG­irl1377893304.276765 PostsRegistered 6/25/2011Wherever I go, there I am!

It depends on the state, but what always angered me was when I'd order something from Q and it was sent via USPS and was charged tax on the postage. It's illegal for states to charge sales tax on anything from the USPS, be it postage or some of the things they sometimes sell (tote bags, collectibles, etc.). {#emotions_dlg.mad}

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

GoodStuff1377893571.01314962 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

Fascinating explanation.......and every word of it true. I've done all of those things. Haven't you?

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Raider Fan1377894126.3434447 PostsRegistered 8/11/2009SF Bay Area
On 8/30/2013 GoodStuff said:

Fascinating explanation.......and every word of it true. I've done all of those things. Haven't you?

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

LOL, especially the coupon code box thing. It upsets me that people have a code and I don't and my search for one came up with zip. For that one reason I will dump my cart.

Bikkie1377894195.343941 PostsRegistered 10/7/2009

#1 just happened to me today! I was so excited to finally see a Lock & Lock show with brand new items. Placed an item in my cart and when shipping and tax was added on, it was nearly $30. About $4.36 per container - no thanks.

JavaQueen13778943103588 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007

I come to my senses after they add tax and shipping. For me to use a coupon, that means I have it in hand.

I will abandon ship if I think I can find a better price for the item, though.

MeAndMyArr­ow1377899983.7071034 PostsRegistered 8/3/2013Hollyweird-Land of the Lost

I avoid three things when buying: Paying Tax, Paying shipping charges and Paying Tax on shipping charges. I will try my darnedest to do an internet search to avoid those three things. And as far as coupon codes...I always search for them before I check out.

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.
- Thomas Jefferson

haddon91377902346.6676088 PostsRegistered 10/18/2005Bucks County, Pa
On 8/30/2013 GoodStuff said:

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

LOL, especially the coupon code box thing. It upsets me that people have a code and I don't and my search for one came up with zip. For that one reason I will dump my cart.

LOL!! Same here!! I've often stopped just before checkout to go hunting for a working coupon code!! How dare they offer other people coupons and I don't have one!!!!{#emotions_dlg.angry} {#emotions_dlg.lol}

wilma1377903963.7813133 PostsRegistered 7/10/2007

I can relate to all 4 of these.

momcat1377909553.3576336 PostsRegistered 9/12/2010

I ignore that coupon box because I think most of them have to do with frequent shoppers to that site. But, the S&H, with tax, certainly makes me pause at checkout. I'm not sure if taxing the S&H has anything to do with the state because I shop with plenty of merchants in my own state that only apply tax to the items. Even tho I can relate to things on that list, I have a hard time believing that 75% of shoppers do. Seems very high.

Let me know if you suddenly become interesting.

Pecan Sand­ie1377911288.21195 PostsRegistered 3/27/2011

Yep, that's me... the dumping of the cart over shipping, lack of coupons, or sometimes the nagging feeling that what is in that cart isn't going to be what I expect when it arrives at the door. These things have little to no stress connected to them. Eh, I'll find what I want/need elsewhere. But if I am on a site and spend time adding things to a cart, looking for and contemplating coordinates, checking colors, considering usefulness, seeing what else they have in another area of the site and then on checkout learn that something has been shopped out of my cart, I immediately dump everything, find the 'contact us' link and tell them why I dumped it all and that I will not be back to their site for weeks, if at all. Later, I'm back to my old self, eh, I'll find what I want elsewhere, and I usually do. They are not the only vendor around. There's a poster on the boards whose tagline is "I shop the planet." I chuckle everytime I read it 'cause that's me too!

P.S. I just read a post by shoesnbags and that is their tagline. Thanks for the chuckles, Shoes!

Last edited on 8/30/2013

Last edited on 8/30/2013

bonnielu1377911998.3935718 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland
On 8/30/2013 MeAndMyArrow said:

I avoid three things when buying: Paying Tax, Paying shipping charges and Paying Tax on shipping charges. I will try my darnedest to do an internet search to avoid those three things. And as far as coupon codes...I always search for them before I check out.

Yes, me too. I attempt to buy where there is no shipping or tax and I look for the best price. I do go to retailmenot first to find coupons. I go to ebates or mrrebates to find percent off. By the time I am finished I am rather tired and sometimes forget the whole thing. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

bonnielu1377912122.55718 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland

Our state has a physical presence tax law. What I cannot understand is, where is QVC in the State of Maryland. Anyone from Md know?

HORSINGMOM1377913783.89430 PostsRegistered 8/9/2007

I do this all the time with QVC... put things in the cart, watch the shipping add up, then, start removing them to my wishlist or just delete. I'm sure someday I will get a letter or something from QVC, but, too many times, I finish an order, think about it overnight, and if I decide I really shouldn't spend the money, or it's not really a good buy, I cancel it. I figure if I've caught it in ample time that it's not in process, it should be okay.

jpie1377914719.2931785 PostsRegistered 7/3/2007

Yes, I do all four, but mostly, #3 (it was fun to pretend).

What really gets to me is when you get an email from that shopping site and they say "Did you forget this/these items in your cart?" and then they don't give you any coupon code or additional incentive to buy. I hate this!

shoekitty1377915202.412672 PostsRegistered 8/10/2006

I usually abandon my cart when a coupon code doesn't work. The one major thing that gets me mad, and then I refuse to complete the purchase is when I recieve a coupon through email about 20% off. and i spend time shopping....then the darn 20% doesn't apply to what I am buying.

Example, I recieve a 20% coupon from skinstore, it says 20% off everything in our store. I go shop, drop my Perricone items in the cart. Then I go to chewck out and it says then, and ONLY then 'sorry Perricone items are excluded from our sale". Many stores do this, so I quit shopping there when this happens.

I hate to waste my time. The other day I had a 15% off at Belk's. Only when I checked out at the end was I told the 15% did not apply to Fiesta.

With QVC, it is always the shipping that has me leave. I usually wind up going somewhere else getting the same thing for less, always. No shipping and handling at most stores!

life is a banquet and most poor fools are starving to death!"
Auntie Mame

namealread­ytaken1377916527.1377738 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009

A friend who has shopped on line through the years and never paid taxes, got a notice from the gub'mint to pay up. He had to take it on himself from 1999 to 2006 to find every item he had purchased (they already knew) and prove which was purchased for business, which for nonprofit exempt, which for personal and pay taxes and penalties on all that. The tax, including penalties, was almost to the sum total of the purchases, which far exceeded all my shopping through twice as many years. So, be glad you pay upfront. The fed and your state are breathing down our necks and the worse the economy gets, the closer they come to us.

nantucket ­shore1377916781.2075636 PostsRegistered 10/14/2007

I am so guilty of this, maybe because it makes me "think" that I bought something and maybe because when I shop online I think there is something better out there that I may have missed.

Also, once you place your order online, it is so difficult to cancel.

..and yes, fill your cart up, wait until tomorrow and an e-mail will be sent to you with additional savings (of course, not the Q though)

susan_ca1377921463.892185 PostsRegistered 4/18/2013

I've just dumped $175 worth of items at Coldwater Creek 'cus I couldn't find the coupon codes when opened another window. At first I deleted one item at a time..... spacing about 2 to 4 minutes apart. After the 4th item was deleted, I "x" out the site altogether. lol. The prices and quality of those items are MUCH better than the Q. They are having 60% sale right now. I have been loyal to the Q for too long, I think...... The tax on the S&H is what really ticked me off. Macy's.com has no S&H fee when the order is at least $99. Plus, they have coupons right there on their site.... and you can stack coupons. Coldwater Creek also runs free S&H every now and then; or, like today, everything in the basket can be shipped with a total of just $5; if your order is over certain amount, the S&H is free.

Last edited on 8/30/2013

Last edited on 8/30/2013

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald, "The Crack-Up" (1936)

Raider Fan1377923478.1274447 PostsRegistered 8/11/2009SF Bay Area
On 8/30/2013 JustJazzmom said:

I believe its the way the tax collection laws are set up in your state (I think NY does this too). All I can say is contact your state representative in your area of the state and address it with the legislator.

Thanks, I had a feeling that most of you do not pay tax on s/h. As to contacting anyone in CA, they would actually have to CARE about the people they "serve." What a joke, our political system is terribly corrupt, we are soon going to declare bankruptcy. The first state in the union to do that. It really is going to happen. We once had an economy bigger than most countries. Politics which means power AND greed has driven our state into the dust. I have no say. I vote but no one hears my cry. Very sad. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

MeAndMyArr­ow1377928733.481034 PostsRegistered 8/3/2013Hollyweird-Land of the Lost

Thanks, I had a feeling that most of you do not pay tax on s/h. As to contacting anyone in CA, they would actually have to CARE about the people they "serve." What a joke, our political system is terribly corrupt, we are soon going to declare bankruptcy. The first state in the union to do that. It really is going to happen. We once had an economy bigger than most countries. Politics which means power AND greed has driven our state into the dust. I have no say. I vote but no one hears my cry. Very sad. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

I feel your pain Raider...I live in the same bankrupt state. It stinks. Lots of freebies and free loaders live here because the weather is so nice. Makes me want to move to Texas any day now.

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.
- Thomas Jefferson

Raider Fan1377935115.34447 PostsRegistered 8/11/2009SF Bay Area
On 8/30/2013 bonnielu said:

Our state has a physical presence tax law. What I cannot understand is, where is QVC in the State of Maryland. Anyone from Md know?

They certainly are not in CA. People say they buy from other places that don't charge sales taxes on everything however to get the Q items I have to shop with the Q. More and more I am shopping online (and in dept. stores) and am trying to stop the Q ordering. I am almost there.

Raider Fan1377935748.614447 PostsRegistered 8/11/2009SF Bay Area
On 8/30/2013 MeAndMyArrow said:

I feel your pain Raider...I live in the same bankrupt state. It stinks. Lots of freebies and free loaders live here because the weather is so nice. Makes me want to move to Texas any day now.

I would move to Texas tomorrow if that were possible, our retirement would almost double without the oppressive CA taxes. Our kids and most importantly our grandchildren are here. We are stuck!!!!

Grade1Teach1377947572.6710251 PostsRegistered 12/2/2007Long Island

I have several online carts going at all times! LOL And, yes, I abandon them most of the time too...

I usually create carts at Sephora, Amazon (w/ Prime membership), and Carter's (children's clothing). Although I rarely purchase everything in my cart, I am usually able to dwindle it down over a period of time to items that I really want. For example, when I load up my cart at Sephora, I research each product and find color swatches, videos, and reviews online. Sometimes I am able to really cut back on things I thought I would like. I then buy a few things and then fill up my cart to start all over again.

However, I don't think my abandonment of the cart has too much to do with shipping and tax (maybe on QVC it does!), but it has more to do with wanting too much or more than I can actually afford at the time. It's nice to dream though. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Page 1 of 2