Contributor

have your color tastes changed . . . drastically?

my whole life I have been a fan of wild colors, big bold prints (can't get too bold for me!), neons, etc. my house was splashed with colors and florals everywhere. then in the last year or so, something happened . . . it's so odd . . . all I want to wear is navy, gray, white, black and a little camel, a little grass green. if I see something that doesn't come in navy or gray, really, i'm not interested (I already have pieces in white, black & camel). and i'm re-doing our house in soft tones of grays, beiges, cocoas, creams, tans, etc. bizarre. but restful.

then I got to thinking back . . . my first bedroom that I ever "did" was in grass green & white, monochromatic, my favoritest bedroom ever. a framed picture I've saved over the ages is white flowers on a navy background--I've found a place for it in every place I've lived. I've saved a suit for years, no longer in style, that is grass green. my favorite go-to pieces have always been navy & white. even though i'm a "summer", I've loved gray, even in high school when I had an all-gray dress that I still remember loving. I've always had a gray go-to sweater in my wardrobe and have always had at least one gray dress.

so maybe the colors i'm longing for now have actually been a lifelong addiction? my friends are floored when they see my wardrobe now ("where's your purple? where's your hot pink?"). have any of you changed your color preferences? I swear, when I see an offering on qvc, I look to see if it comes in gray or navy before I decide whether I even like it. on the one hand I think i'm calming down my life, on the other, maybe i'm losing it???