TSV(R) Preview
138 Members and 18321 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

Went to Burlington Coat Factory at last!

Started 1374223601.847 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1375112899.807 by IHeartFashion

I have seen a zillion commercials as you all must have too. I never went in because when I shop I usually go to Nordys. DH and I had a small dinner near there so at my insistance, we walked in. Well, girls, if you want cheap, really cheap stuff go there. From what I could see, the commercials lied to us. There are NOT all kinds of name brands at a cheaper price. I did see, just by accident, turning my head a bit toward the wall, one sensational maxi dress hanging there all alone that just happened to be in my size, small petite. The stripes are all vertical, the colors zig zaggy burgandy white and black. If i had seen it on the Q the price would have been over $50 and I would have bought it. The price I paid was $14.99. It is quite fabulous and fits beautifully. Most of the stuff you really have to spend time and pick over. I also bought a pair of athletic below the knee pants from Adidas for 7.99. Great to run in since all of my other stuff is to large and faded by the sun. Point of this is...there is a lot of stuff out there if we get off our butts and go looking for it. Of course I am talking about myself but my goodness, tonight was an EYE OPENER FOR ME. {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Common sense is not so common. **Voltaire**

Page 1 of 2
beachbird1374232657.263315 PostsRegistered 6/30/2007By the River

Have they changed their return policy? Years ago, you couldn't get a refund on your return only a store credit. Haven't shopped there in 20 years for that reason.

turtle521374235194.082462 PostsRegistered 2/22/2008

Full refunds now--I LOVE the store! It is like a treasure hunt. There is some junk, but also LOTS of bargains on good quality name brand stuff. Their home department is great and their shoe prices can't be beat!

This too shall pass.

millieshops1374244124.6615304 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

Haven't been in my nearest Burlington for at least 5 years. Found it very depressing and the offerings were cheap. Not inexpensive, but cheap. Have they changed recently? Anyone know?

Vamp1374244510.60311864 PostsRegistered 3/9/2007
The last time I walked into one of those stores was about 15 years ago, and I have no desire to go back. If I'm going to shop that kind of store, I'd rather hit TJ Maxx or Marshall's.

nantucket ­shore1374244933.675657 PostsRegistered 10/14/2007
On 7/19/2013 turtle52 said:

Full refunds now--I LOVE the store! It is like a treasure hunt. There is some junk, but also LOTS of bargains on good quality name brand stuff. Their home department is great and their shoe prices can't be beat!

Full refund within how many days?

When they first opened, no return, no refunds. Then they changed to store credit only. Glad to see the customer base forced them to make the change.

PinkyPetun­ia1374245256.7874571 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004NJ

There is a BCF near me but it's old and junky looking and the clothing is all over the place--the sizes aren't in the right place most of the time. I go there when I have time and I'm in the mood to browse and try things on. If you are lucky you can get some good buys. I once found a pair of Denim & Co. jeans there for under $15.

I believe they do give refunds now. Don't know their time frame but you can call a local store and ask.

turtle521374245423.9172462 PostsRegistered 2/22/2008

I just went on their website. Returns within 30 days for any reason. It's true that the stores are pretty depressing and ugly but I have gotten great bargains there. Also, they have lots of coats ( I KNOW that it's too hot to think about this now) and great prices on them.

This too shall pass.

Kathleen1374245672.0213291 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down

You can get good name brands at Burlington at great prices. It's my go-to place for winter coats and jackets. Great place for accessories, sleepwear, gym clothes.

It's similar to what Filene's Basement was like ... but bigger.

Trix1374274421.2073719 PostsRegistered 7/28/2005Chicago, IL
On 7/19/2013 Kathleen said:

You can get good name brands at Burlington at great prices. It's my go-to place for winter coats and jackets. Great place for accessories, sleepwear, gym clothes.

It's similar to what Filene's Basement was like ... but bigger.

The Burlington Coat Factories I have been in don't hold a candle to the former Filene's Basement. Until the last couple years when budget cuts were made on purchasing inventory Filene's Basement was a designer brand bargain hunter's paradise. I know that sometimes with these discount places inventory can vary from branch to branch, but I have never seen so much as gloves that I wanted to buy at Burlington. However, last summer Burlington had a big opening for their "first ever" downtown Chicago store (which coincidentally moved into the old Filene's Basement location). Since it had been several years since I was in a Burlington store I gave it a chance thinking things may have improved. Every visit I've made to that store since the door opened has been a very unwhelming disappointing experience.

Trix

BRANDONLEE1374331715.2531144 PostsRegistered 12/30/2007

Brother, they have such cheap clothing and their fabric is awful.All their shoes are ladies of the night shoes lol.I tried on a few dresses there and their sizes are so abnormal and it's due to their cheap fabric.

BonnieBelle1374331783.30319566 PostsRegistered 4/13/2007

That place is a dump. The only one we had closed down.

ROMARY1374332934.3117489 PostsRegistered 4/28/2010

Lots of coats: All types, all kinds. Men's Dept., too. I see many men, young men, etc. wandering around in the Men's Dept. It would almost be impossible to not find a jacket/coat there, if you are looking for a specific type. It's worth a visit, 'just to see'.........

Yellow Rose

wilma1374333599.92713148 PostsRegistered 7/10/2007
On 7/19/2013 Kathleen said:

I am glad you like yours. I was hoping to find some interesting things at mine, but no luck.

I have been in mine twice - don't know why I went back the second time. Anyway, I have never seen any good name brands at my store. I saw a lot of strange brands I never heard of, and most of the items looked cheaply made. My BCF was also poorly organized; the same sizes were not grouped together which made it almost impossible to sift through all the items to find my size.

I was not impressed either time I went. It has been probably 2 years since I went in mine; not planning on going back. I can get much better clothing brands at discount prices at Marshall's and TJMaxx.

colliegirls1374333902.296900 PostsRegistered 5/13/2012

Our BCF is very clean and attractive but the people who shop there are quite the opposite. It does take returns now but I am never going back.

Helen Bach1374337558.22626 PostsRegistered 10/20/2009

I stopped shpping there when it was found dogs lining their coats. do research. it was a scandal for sure

imaclothes­hog1374339912.8522292 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006

I have never purchased anything from there, the one near us, I wandered in one day and looked around for a few minutes and walked back out. That was enough for me, nothing in there I was interested in.

"If you can't make it better, you can laugh at it". ~Erma Bombeck

moonstone ­dunes1374341221.0532325 PostsRegistered 11/6/2011

I don't like the store near the mall, the lighting is awful, it's dusty. It reminds me of Ross Dress for Less. Cheap.

"Sursum Corda"

haddon91374343576.7536188 PostsRegistered 10/18/2005Bucks County, Pa

Many years ago I think the original Burlington Coat Factory was in Burlington, NJ (I wonder if it's still there?) and I can remember them offering mostly outerwear. It was a dump but they had a huge selection of coats for good prices.

Several years ago they opened a BCF near me and from the beginning it was a depressing place plus I couldn't get past their no return policy! I think I went in there 2-3 times and they are no longer there.

monalisa14­521374343999.5771460 PostsRegistered 8/29/2007
On 7/20/2013 haddon9 said:

Many years ago I think the original Burlington Coat Factory was in Burlington, NJ (I wonder if it's still there?) and I can remember them offering mostly outerwear. It was a dump but they had a huge selection of coats for good prices.

Several years ago they opened a BCF near me and from the beginning it was a depressing place plus I couldn't get past their no return policy! I think I went in there 2-3 times and they are no longer there.

I do remember going there when BCF was actually a just a coat factory in Burlington, NJ. Yes, many, many years ago.

ROMARY1374359325.11717489 PostsRegistered 4/28/2010

A fairly nearby B. is fairly organized and appears to be clean. I haven't had any trouble with it, so far. Bathrooms are clean, too. Lots of active wear, etc. I always manage to find 'something' that I need or can wear to a wedding or event. But, I'm not one to go driving around to 'this' mall and 'that' mall to find a special item. I like shopping in one store, more or less. Or a couple of stores in a small-ish mall. 'Time is of essence', IMO.

Yellow Rose

Raider Fan1374473461.564471 PostsRegistered 8/11/2009SF Bay Area

WOW, it seems that most of you had my experience. Still I did get that rather sensational dress and then they have exercise pants at much cheaper prices. They did have two Ralph Lauren pillows for less that $13 dollars and I'll bet they are better than the almost $100 I spent on that MY PILLOW scam. I kept the box and I should send them back. Has anyone actually liked the my pillow? I know not the forum to ask the question so I wil eventually go there where ever that is. Going back to Burlington...how can they spend so much money on those cute commercials when all they actually have is junk? To me, THAT is the MOST upsetting thing of all. They are totally presenting commercials at a great expense to them that are filled with lies. Wow. Awful!

CouponQueen1374493843.3834615 PostsRegistered 10/21/2010

My BCF has full refunds just like any other store - done immediately.

As for name brands. They have many and they also have non brand - or lower quality brands.

I buy Nike short sets for my grandson in there for $9.99 to $12.99..that is less then half of what I would normally pay!

I purchased Unionbay sandals in Kohls this year for $33.99 MINUS 30% discount. The SAME sandals..EXACTLY where in BCF for $14.99!! I had already worn them many times otherwise I would of taken them back.

Their Baby Depot is the best..I love it!!

My store is clean and well stocked and I never had an issue. On occasion they have 20% coupons off one item. In the past I purchased many things for my grandson's nursery that way. The Cashier stuck four of them in my bag and I bought nursery furniture items!

I have found out if I like something get it then as it won't be there when I go back!

Raider Fan1374746870.054471 PostsRegistered 8/11/2009SF Bay Area

I bow to you CouponQueen since I have to admit I am not one to shop the sales or look for a good deal. I like it when I find it but in the long run, I think if you are looking for a big sale you are going to spend more money than you ever would have if you just went to buy the one thing you wanted. That is the whole purpose of those huge percentage off sales, to get you in there and you walk out happy that you saved all that money but actually you spent more than you ever would have. Just my take on those things. Sorry. {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Kathleen1374759247.45313291 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down
On 7/25/2013 Raider Fan said:

That is the whole purpose of those huge percentage off sales, to get you in there and you walk out happy that you saved all that money but actually you spent more than you ever would have. Just my take on those things. Sorry. {#emotions_dlg.blush}

True ...

fbm2lsm1374759856.272599 PostsRegistered 8/25/2010

Our BCF has a great housewares department, linens, kitchen items, things for the bathroom, it is a great place to shop. The rest of the store is a mess, the clothing not name brand mostly just cheap off brand things. The shoe department makes Wal-mart look upscale. I would love to find the BCF that the women on TV shop in!{#emotions_dlg.tt1}

Rember if You are going to be dumb You had better be tough

Page 1 of 2