New Contributor

Fashion Disaster! and Closet Organizer Recommendations?

Yesterday I had just gotten home from work, and heard a huge crash - my closet rod had torn away from the wall, spilling clothes and hangers all over the place! We have limited closet space, so my clothes are in the second bedroom/office closet, which also holds all our computer stuff. My husband's kind of a packrat, so there are giant bins of old cables and hard drives and other equipment on the floor, plus a shelf of servers and routers, a couple of old monitors...it's pretty packed in there.

Anyway, after lugging all my clothes into the guest bedroom and piling them up on the bed, I'm trying to see the bright side - what a great excuse to go through everything and purge! I do have too much stuff, and I know it, so now I have to deal with it.

My question is this: do you have a closet organization system that you love? I'm looking for specific products and brands. Ikea, Rubbermaid, Whitmor, Closet Maid? Sturdiness is my main concern (of course it's only as strong as the wall fasteners). I love the multi-tier systems with shelves, upper and lower bars, etc., and I've even seen a few that seem to be free-standing.

Any recommendations? I would really appreciate your advice!