Guaranteed Delivery
131 Members and 16893 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

QVC -Another quick exit-

Started 1370624878.007 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1371980013.04 by Queen Aud

Dave James has left the Q- No cake, no farewell, no notice- Hmmm.....It's interesting how QVC encourages their customers to become attached to the hosts (of course...it increases sales for them) by having them interact w/ "fans" on FB (it's weird to me), etc...BUT, when it comes to letting people go, (and I assume that it was happened as Dave does not indicate a new position or relocation) the company has no respect for that same customer! Who is next?

Page 2 of 3
TX-starlig­ht1370638435.514768 PostsRegistered 2/8/2010
On 6/7/2013 conlt said: Just the other day he was presenting a product and he said this product was one of the first things he presented on qvc and himself purchased. The bottom line is the hosts are sales people who have sales goals set for them. The consistently under performers go.

There are far more "under performers" than Dave James. He was 1 of the best in my opinion!! I would watch him any day over Lisa,Shawn,Rick, Albany, Nancy,Dan,...just to name a few.

lovestotea­ch1370638869.60315436 PostsRegistered 1/2/2009DFW Metroplex, Tx

Maybe when a host or news anchor leaves because they have a BETTER OFFER from a COMPETING COMPANY, the original employer doesn't want any hoop-la. don't know, just sayin'

Lovestoteach~ ~ ♥ ♥♥

beach-mom1370639369.669866 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007Mid-Atlantic
On 6/7/2013 dooBdoo said:

"Goodbye & Thank You from Dave James
Started 06/06/2013 at 4:32 PM in Q News by QVC Team

I’m really doing my best to not type out a cheesy goodbye & thank you blog as I’m letting you know that I’ve left QVC. But I have to admit that the sentiments I want to express in this short passage are as giant as any gouda wheel I’ve seen in the deli.

Simply put, I will miss you. To my QVC colleagues, friends, and co-workers, I know we’ll stay in touch and maintain a friendship outside of the "Q", so I’m not worried about us saying goodbye. And to all the “Q” viewer friends I’ve made along the way, your viewership, phone calls, emails, Facebook posts, and tweets have been a grand on-going conversation that I’ve loved through the years —you are diverse, opinionated, and strong! I’ve loved meeting every one of you who took the time to chat with me on QVC. You may not realize this but, if you’ve thought of me in your life, rest assured, I thought of you in mine too. I’m humbled and grateful for your viewership.

I want to take this moment to say, “thank you for watching" and "Roll Tide!"

Dave James"

www.photosbydavidjames.com"

http://community.qvc.com/default.aspx?tabid=73&TypeID=2&catId=32&ThreadId=382767&cm_ven=FB&cm_cat=WALL&cm_pla=7EP_DAVEJAMESGOODBYE&cm_ite=ENGAGEMENTPOSTFACEBOOK_BLOG

I went to his web site to see what he looks like (haven't seen him on air much), and after the first pic of the wedding party a picture of a bride comes up. It looks like Rachel (blonde QVC model). What do you all think? Maybe he took her wedding pictures. If so, she's so lucky to be close friends with her wedding photographer!

PuppyBreath1370639943.17318676 PostsRegistered 1/10/2007Mn. Twins Fan

I have been up way too early with my dog, and I have seen him several times this week. No mention was made of his leaving. Very strange.

Please support Pancreatic Cancer Research.

My favorite breed is Rescued.

Barbara in­ Virginia1370641073.7377880 PostsRegistered 5/22/2010

IMO it is just shabby of QVC to not have a proper good-bye to hosts it parts company with. Doesn't matter if their contract wasn't renewed or they left to pursue other opportunities.

Buttercups1370641964.234093 PostsRegistered 5/15/2007

Thank you for posting the link to his web site. That bride is Rachel. I'm wondering if that was really her wedding or if she modeled for his portfolio. They are beautiful photos, not just the wedding but some of the other landscape and artistic ones.

I'm appalled, appalled to find that sanctimony is going on here.

lovestotea­ch1370642209.8415436 PostsRegistered 1/2/2009DFW Metroplex, Tx

I’m really doing my best to not type out a cheesy goodbye & thank you blog as I’m letting you know that I’ve left QVC. But I have to admit that the sentiments I want to express in this short passage are as giant as any gouda wheel I’ve seen in the deli.

Simply put, I will miss you. To my QVC colleagues, friends, and co-workers, I know we’ll stay in touch and maintain a friendship outside of the "Q", so I’m not worried about us saying goodbye. And to all the “Q” viewer friends I’ve made along the way, your viewership, phone calls, emails, Facebook posts, and tweets have been a grand on-going conversation that I’ve loved through the years —you are diverse, opinionated, and strong! I’ve loved meeting every one of you who took the time to chat with me on QVC. You may not realize this but, if you’ve thought of me in your life, rest assured, I thought of you in mine too. I’m humbled and grateful for your viewership.

Dave James"

http://community.qvc.com/default.aspx?tabid=73&TypeID=2&catId=32&ThreadId=382767&cm_ven=FB&cm_cat=WALL&cm_pla=7EP_DAVEJAMESGOODBYE&cm_ite=ENGAGEMENTPOSTFACEBOOK_BLOG

Thank you for posting this... it is nice... : )

Lovestoteach~ ~ ♥ ♥♥

lovestotea­ch1370642224.02315436 PostsRegistered 1/2/2009DFW Metroplex, Tx

Dave James"

Lovestoteach~ ~ ♥ ♥♥

lovestotea­ch1370642241.66315436 PostsRegistered 1/2/2009DFW Metroplex, Tx

Dave James"

Lovestoteach~ ~ ♥ ♥♥

lovestotea­ch1370642259.71715436 PostsRegistered 1/2/2009DFW Metroplex, Tx

Dave James"

Lovestoteach~ ~ ♥ ♥♥

nomoaa1370642410.69737 PostsRegistered 2/5/2011

Sorry to see him go.

We voted for him when QVC had the hiring contest.

Daysdee1370642559.719248 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007

Who is next? I'm sure many of us will have some suggestions! Sorry to lose Dave James from QVC. He did a great job.

Daysdee1370642853.0619248 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007
On 6/7/2013 StuffyBug said:
On 6/7/2013 conlt said: Just the other day he was presenting a product and he said this product was one of the first things he presented on qvc and himself purchased. The bottom line is the hosts are sales people who have sales goals set for them. The consistently under performers go.
Who said he was a consistent underperformer? Kind of a leap on your part.

Since he was almost always on in the middle of the night/wee hours of the morning (here), how could he sell as much as Lisa, Rick, Jane T., etc.? He almost never kicked off a TSV. I wouldn't say he was an underperformer. JMO

Silverandg­old1370643150.711344 PostsRegistered 2/9/2008NJ

I think if he knew it was his last presentation, he would have mentioned it. It's similar in Corporate America also when they want 2 weeks notice from someone who is leaving, but when they get rid of you it's generally on a Friday afternoon as they prefer to catch employees off guard.

Bird mama1370651240.80711241 PostsRegistered 3/24/2009Michigan

I liked Dave as a host. I thought he presented electronics, jewelry, food etc. well. I wish him well and will miss him.

~ bird ~

lovesrecess1370652845.8214102 PostsRegistered 7/14/2008Texas

I really like Dave James and his goodbye on Facebook seems very sweet and sincere. The fact that he said goodbye after he had already departed tells me he was either fired or he doesn't like good-byes and didn't want any of that... I know people who don't want any fanfare from others at all when they are leaving...so you have to respect that if it was his wish. I enjoyed watching him because he is one of the few male hosts who is not completely manic in their presentations.

anniebear1370658651.33689 PostsRegistered 3/1/2009

I'll miss Dave James too. He was one of the last of the class acts amongst fools! Maybe someone tried to get him to boogie on the morning show and he declined. I'd bet he didn't make the decision to leave though. The Q seems lately to require hosts to be hyped up on caffeine (or something) and act like fools on air (especially on the morning shows). Maybe he was deemed unworthy of the host position if he decided to just act like the person he really is instead of bouncing around like a fool like the rest of them! Sadly, having some integrity and refusing to do things that don't seem to you to be appropriate can cost people their jobs. And I suspect his leaving may just be further proof that the "suits" at the Q are prefering ditsy irritating hosts now instead of ones that are pleasant to watch!

WillEscape­CAsoon1370661239.53357 PostsRegistered 3/5/2009

Any employee over 40 who doesn't kiss the backsides of the Executives enough and has a three digit IQ.

Buttercups1370701803.3374093 PostsRegistered 5/15/2007
On 6/7/2013 anniebear said:

I'll miss Dave James too. He was one of the last of the class acts amongst fools! Maybe someone tried to get him to boogie on the morning show and he declined. I'd bet he didn't make the decision to leave though. The Q seems lately to require hosts to be hyped up on caffeine (or something) and act like fools on air (especially on the morning shows). Maybe he was deemed unworthy of the host position if he decided to just act like the person he really is instead of bouncing around like a fool like the rest of them! Sadly, having some integrity and refusing to do things that don't seem to you to be appropriate can cost people their jobs. And I suspect his leaving may just be further proof that the "suits" at the Q are prefering ditsy irritating hosts now instead of ones that are pleasant to watch!

Unfortunately I'm inclined to agree with you. When Lisa Mason left my opinion of Q dropped a few stories. DJ is similar, seems very low key and genuine.

Some viewers enjoy the hyped up, frenetic hosts... I think that's fine. But they used to have more low key ones which were always my faves. Now they're gone and the few left I once liked seem pressured to act very foolishly on air.... like teenagers almost. (not to knock teens lol - just not very becoming behavior for adults) Don't get their thinking.

I'm appalled, appalled to find that sanctimony is going on here.

anniebear1370733780.053689 PostsRegistered 3/1/2009

Buttercups I don't get it either! When you dropped "a few stories" I was right there dropping with you! I would think people would buy more from hosts who actually feel it's important to give info about what they are selling and who are focused on the products instead of on themselves! I don't like the frenetic approach that's being required right now. I can understand trying to target a younger audience, and I'm assuming that's the basis of all the stupidity. But if that's what it takes to do it, do they really want to lose the long-time, not-so-young viewers in the process? I just wish someone would rethink the direction things seem to be going with the "New Q"!

I wish Dave James well. I'm sure there are plenty of other outlets for his talents.

Daysdee1370734287.20719248 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007
On 6/7/2013 anniebear said:

Speaking of the boogie, if I recall correctly recently I saw him (late night here) selling kitchen items and one of the vendors suggested he do the "happy dance" like David. Dave James didn't do it. I will miss his pleasant voice and calm manner.

winamac11370734465.30731735 PostsRegistered 12/29/2010Indiana

He was a very competent host. SHAME on QVC for dumping him if they did.

"Friends don't let friends...drink white zinfandel"

Ceci1370747397.543398 PostsRegistered 12/27/2006Florida

Roll Tide? What does that mean?

Ceci

wildcat fan1370747571.763702 PostsRegistered 1/18/2010
On 6/8/2013 Ceci said:

Roll Tide? What does that mean?

That how we University of Alabama fans greet each other. Dave was from Huntsville, Alabama, I believe.

Retired081370748375.5375330 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008 Beautiful Coastal Georgia
On 6/7/2013 Silverandgold said:

I think if he knew it was his last presentation, he would have mentioned it. It's similar in Corporate America also when they want 2 weeks notice from someone who is leaving, but when they get rid of you it's generally on a Friday afternoon as they prefer to catch employees off guard.

You know, I was thinking the same thing. I've seen more than one person during my working career work all week long and then at 4pm on Friday, be told that they were being let go.

I was under the impression that there are contracts at QVC. I am just going to take a guess here and say that apparently his came up for renewal there were no negotiations and no renewal. If his contract ended on a certain day, and QVC did not want to renew, I would think that it would be a shock for anyone.

I feel badly for him. When he first started, I watched QVC and voted for him. I was happy that he got the job and he seemed so excited. I enjoyed him during the years that I watched QVC more than just occasionally.

I can't imagine what kind of whirling dervish they will hire to replace him.

I wish him all the best and hope that his family will be a great support during this time.

He was a true gentleman with such a kind and soft spoken demeanor. I hope that great things will come his way.

Last edited on 6/8/2013

Last edited on 6/8/2013

What you put into the lives of others comes back into your own.

Page 2 of 3