Shoes & Handbags Offers
134 Members and 11971 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

How do maxi dresses look on plus size women

Started 1370115879.233 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1370526942.14 by JJsMom
I am going on a cruise to Alaska in July and am a 1X girl. Was thinking of getting a maxi dress for dinners. Never owned a maxi and wasn't sure if they made oh look bigger or what. A suggestions would be appreciated.

Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 Next
ennui1370116477.09719957 PostsRegistered 4/17/2007

A maxi might be too casual?

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." ~ Robert Brault

Trix1370116772.173464 PostsRegistered 7/28/2005Chicago, IL

Finding a maxi dress which looks good on you is no different than when we shopped for our prom gowns (some of us a lot longer ago than othersWink). Afterall they really are just long dresses. The long length is more of a fit problem from the vertical perspective as opposed to horizontal. If you are not short then your dress size shouldn't be an issue in wearing a maxi dress. Whatever dress style you look best in at regular length is the shape you should seek out for your maxi dress. Most of the maxis will have flowy loose-fitting bottoms and fitted tops, and are made of soft fabrics like rayon and polyester.

Happy shopping.

Trix

Mary Bailey1370116885.5177210 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004sw of Chicago

Try some on. If you are comfortable and like the look, wear it. Have fun, it's your vacation.

Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.

magicmoodz1370116916.434991 PostsRegistered 6/23/2008

IMO maxi dresses/skirts can be worn by any body shape/size. I think you just have to be discerning in the correct style for your body.

I personally like straight, tubular or tank styles best for my body. If I were to wear one of those with a very voluminous skirt I would feel like a clown. And if I were to put on one with any kind of layered, ruffled flounce, I expect someone might confuse me with Nellie Oleson and send me back to Walnut Grove! {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Last edited on 6/1/2013

Last edited on 6/1/2013

I buy expensive suits. They just look cheap on me.
~ Warren Buffett ~

Perkup1370117589.386282 PostsRegistered 12/24/2008

I think that a maxi would be lovely on you. I personally would not choose one which is really low cut in front, but a nicely cut and styled dress should be really pretty. I like that the maxi covers legs, so you can be less concerned with the shoes and stockings thing. There's no reason on earth that a maxi would be less desirable for a 1X than it would be for a size 00. If you feel good in it, you will look good!

carlotta1370118149.11162 PostsRegistered 9/9/2007
Try the striped maxi from Liz Claiborne NY from the Q...comfortable and great fit!

author1370118271.1934269 PostsRegistered 7/3/2005

I totally agree! As a 1X you should be able to find something terrific that is flattering and makes you feel very special. Look for style and fit that works for you - it's just a long dress, so items in shorter styles that look great on your figure will be fine in a maxi. Enjoy the vacation!

Raider Fan1370119660.4434423 PostsRegistered 8/11/2009SF Bay Area

It's a shame you have to ask us, the Q should have more plus sized models. It isn't fair that I can look at a model and picture how the item would look on me and you can't. If I were you I'd call customer service and let them know! The dark-haired Maria and Iris used to be 1X, now they are size L and so is Jaquie. Pam and Rebecca are 1X but they are not on much.

Have fun on your cruise, I'm sure you'll look just fine in whatever you choose to wear. Cruises have gotten more informal over the years. Smart Casual (for dinner) means a shirt with a collar for men and almost anything goes for women. I often just wear a nice top and I have even worn leggings with heels. They don't care as long as you aren't wearing short shorts and a bikini top. {#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

Common sense is not so common. **Voltaire**

mzlg1370120272.783782 PostsRegistered 6/25/2006

gillsburg, You already have alot of great suggestions. Like others have mentioned, it is like any other dress you are going to purchase, only longer, just get the correct style for your body type and size. The Q has a number of designers who make Maxi dresses or Maxi skirts for that matter. Also the "southern channel" has a number of lines with Maxi dresses or Maxi skirts. One line/designer that I like in particular is Completely Me by Liz Lange. The way the dress is designed, it flatters the waistline, because of her 'smoke and mirrors' seam placement design. I hope you have fun shopping for your outfit and let us know how your shopping went. When you return from your cruise let us know what an exciting time you had. Have a great time!

~!~

turtle521370120787.6072354 PostsRegistered 2/22/2008

I think that if it isn't clingy it will look great. I wear mine with metallic (dressy) or cotton (casual)shrugs as I don't like my arms.

This too shall pass.

sunshine32­151370121163.033496 PostsRegistered 1/21/2012

I am a 1X as well but the key for me is....1) anyone can wear a maxi dress

but for the larger sizes and really most went women we need to wear the correct under garments to hid the "lumps and bumps). I wear a spanx under my maxis and don't but too clingy but not falling off either. Also I wear a slip so when I stand up...everything is not going in "crevices".

I went to alaska on a cruise and your maxi will be fine from my experience. you could also take a shrug. I order my slips from amazon.

pixiedust1370123566.32929 PostsRegistered 8/7/2005

Hi gillsburg, have you considered something like this: click here - I don't know what size Leah is but it looks nice on her. I agree with everyone, try them out,find one that suits you and enjoy your cruise!

happy hous­ewife1370123915.1930797 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

Iam also a plus size and I love maxis but you have to get the right style. Susan Graver has some nice dressier ones - I got one last year to wear to a wedding and it was beautiful. It was a crossover neckline - sleeveless and empire waist. The top was black and the skirt had a placement print in shades of pink on a black background. I have other , more casual ones too and as long as they aren't strapless or cut too low so I can't wear a bra I love them.I also have some casual maxi skirts I love - just pop them on with a t or tank top and a comfy sandal and your ready to sight see.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

AGV1370124133.051047 PostsRegistered 7/15/2008

I wear a L/XL and I love the Linea V-Neck Maxi. I have 4 different colors and wear cardigans or shrugs (Susan Graver Bolero is a good one) with each. They aren't cut too full and I think they are very flattering. Check it out.

surfk1370124396.717537 PostsRegistered 7/12/2010

Well, you do run the risk of looking like a LOT of fabric swooshing around.

More fabric usually makes someone look either heavier or a bit witchy-woman.

I suppose the trick would be to keep the top portion as simple and light as possible. Maybe a maxi skirt would be best if you can't find a maxi dress with the sort of top (sleeves) you like to wear.

A maxi skirt and a tee can balance out the walking sofa look of too much fabric.

If one doesn't mind showing a lot of arm, then a sleeveless maxi dress might be balanced enough.

But you don't want to come across looking like the chubby fairy in "Sleeping Beauty" - all skirt and yards of fabric. Unless you carry a magic wand, the look just doesn't work.

Also, stick to a maxi that has a lot of movement to the fabric. A stiffer material makes a maxi look like those bad hostess gowns of yesteryear. Then all you need to carry with you is a martini in one hand and a tray of fresh baked cookies in the other.

You're dressing youself and not wrapping a Christmas package. I think its important for all plus sized maxi gals to remember that.

Last edited on 6/1/2013

Last edited on 6/1/2013

PBJ1370125009.2836821 PostsRegistered 7/10/2007

If you're a member of HAUTELOOK, there is a plus size dress boutique today. All lengths-maxi, hi-lo. All brands-Rachel Pally, Donna Ricco. The pics of the different styles may help give you some ideas.

Poor but Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

daisyk1370125169.473449 PostsRegistered 5/20/2011

I've had 2 different maxi dresses that I've worn on cruises and to events-both were a sleeveless type knit sheath but each had a jacket to go over since I don't do arms hanging out. They were just around ankle length so I could wear with flattish dressy sandals. I'm a 1x and with my personal body shape, the longer dress looks better than a knee length-my opinion anyway. They were both knits but not too clingy and I wore a decent shaper underneath-not Spanx though-I can't get myself into them for some reason. I say try it-they should look nice and have a great time.

KathyPet1370125998.2978045 PostsRegistered 1/25/2006Beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I am a 1X and find that you must be very careful when choosing a maxi. A lot of them are vibrant floral prints all over. I feel like a walking shower curtain in them. A lot of them fall from under the bust line and if you carry your weight in your stomach you definitely look pregnant from a side view. I am really astounded at some of these dresses which use enough fabric to make 4 dresses with the excess. Rachel Palley's dresses are a prime example of this kind of overkill. I think you have to try these on with a very critical eye. Try to get a solid color or at least something that is not made out of a overall floral print.

Deep inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out. I can usually shut her up with cookies!!

surfk1370126755.633537 PostsRegistered 7/12/2010
On 6/1/2013 KathyPet said: I am a 1X and find that you must be very careful when choosing a maxi. A lot of them are vibrant floral prints all over. I feel like a walking shower curtain in them. A lot of them fall from under the bust line and if you carry your weight in your stomach you definitely look pregnant from a side view. I am really astounded at some of these dresses which use enough fabric to make 4 dresses with the excess. Rachel Palley's dresses are a prime example of this kind of overkill. I think you have to try these on with a very critical eye. Try to get a solid color or at least something that is not made out of a overall floral print.

So true. I think that plus-sized women must keep in mind that they're looking for a maxi dress look and not a mumu or maternity gown. And they aren't shopping for living room drapes, either.

A maxi skirt or dress is intended to be essentially a loose, casual peasant outfit, if you will. Some say, "beachy". But if one remembers a peasant top when thinking maxi skirt, one is on the right track.

surfk1370126760.077537 PostsRegistered 7/12/2010
On 6/1/2013 KathyPet said: I am a 1X and find that you must be very careful when choosing a maxi. A lot of them are vibrant floral prints all over. I feel like a walking shower curtain in them. A lot of them fall from under the bust line and if you carry your weight in your stomach you definitely look pregnant from a side view. I am really astounded at some of these dresses which use enough fabric to make 4 dresses with the excess. Rachel Palley's dresses are a prime example of this kind of overkill. I think you have to try these on with a very critical eye. Try to get a solid color or at least something that is not made out of a overall floral print.

So true. I think that plus-sized women must keep in mind that they're looking for a maxi dress look and not a mumu or maternity gown. And they aren't shopping for living room drapes, either.

A maxi skirt or dress is intended to be essentially a loose, casual peasant outfit, if you will. Some say, "beachy". But if one remembers a peasant top when thinking maxi skirt, one is on the right track.

queendiva1370127106.2533375 PostsRegistered 9/22/2006
On 6/1/2013 AGV said:

I wear a L/XL and I love the Linea V-Neck Maxi. I have 4 different colors and wear cardigans or shrugs (Susan Graver Bolero is a good one) with each. They aren't cut too full and I think they are very flattering. Check it out.

Another vote for this dress. Order your usual size. I paired mine in espresso/pink with the Nina Leonard pink jersey shrug, earrings and sandals. Beautiful, comfortable and always appropriate!

Hooty1370128171.06318456 PostsRegistered 9/4/2006~Sweet Home Alabama~

IMO, if you are tall, I say you'd look good, hitting about at your ankles. As for me @ 5'4", I wear a 1X and I would look like I was in my nightgown or a mumu, LOL!

KathyPet1370128281.588045 PostsRegistered 1/25/2006Beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
On 6/1/2013 queendiva said:
On 6/1/2013 AGV said:

Another vote for this dress. Order your usual size. I paired mine in espresso/pink with the Nina Leonard pink jersey shrug, earrings and sandals. Beautiful, comfortable and always appropriate!

Yes they are not too full but they are a empire style with the material falling from under the bust. I bought one in a 1x in the pink. I looked pregnant from the side view and returned it.

Deep inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out. I can usually shut her up with cookies!!

lionesses1370136024.43268 PostsRegistered 5/26/2013

Maxi dresses look good on women who are tall and thin. If you are neither, skip it.

Bird mama1370136151.2979893 PostsRegistered 3/24/2009Michigan
On 6/1/2013 lionesses said:

Maxi dresses look good on women who are tall and thin. If you are neither, skip it.

{#emotions_dlg.scared}

~ bird ~

Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 Next